*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toxin

by toxin

I meant to point out the foil number could be a decent bit lower with a good pair of wheels, maybe 1100 62mm *wink wink*

alanyu

by alanyu

I suppose 1100 62 will be 2 W faster on foil, but I'm not chasing that. I just want to say the Tour results are pretty reasonable and in line (not 100% equal) with quite a lot other tests.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Wow the Focus result is bad, the reviews were already fairly lukewarm and it's even slower than expected.

MrAppleSeeds

by MrAppleSeeds

toxin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:30 pm
I meant to point out the foil number could be a decent bit lower with a good pair of wheels, maybe 1100 62mm *wink wink*
The Scott Foil with Syncros Capital SL tested at 203W. Watch the video at 19:47

https://youtu.be/HMKWyNdEfvM?si=mG-2nxbwUfwsjy0l

toxin

by toxin

Good to hear, the 454 result does it a bit of a disservice

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

vaporware capital SL.. must be fast
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

So the Izalco is slow, about 21w slower than the fastest bikes out there (Cervelo/Dogma)
Yet, a 1980s bike with box section rims is 21w slower than a Cervelo S5
another test w/ rider on shows that a similarly old bike is around 25w slower than a modern Dogma
another test w/rider on shows that an
older Pinarello Think from 2012 is around 15 watts slower than a modern Dogma
But yeah, despite all of this, the Izalco is 20w slower than a Tarmac SL8. Mmmkay.
Am late to the party. But snipping & bolding key points above, my takeaway from robeambro's post is the Modern Izalco is as slow as a bike from nearly 10 to 40 years ago.

I don't want to pollute this conversation just yet with the reminder that test protocols can have Test Bias built into the procedure (you know, like having the Cervelo's seat post way taller in the Silca video and the fact that when sitting on a bike, the saddles are not exposed thus should ideally be occluded during the measurement).

But ignoring that for a second and taking robeambro's data at face value, like, god dayum, for reals @ the Izalco? Hmmm.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I thought Tour always boosted results for German brands. :wink:

BalticSea

by BalticSea

toxin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:27 am
Good to hear, the 454 result does it a bit of a disservice
Which is bit weird, considering that there's only 1.5w difference between 454 NSW and some of the top tier 60mm wheels:

viewtopic.php?t=171883

joesch

by joesch

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:51 am
I thought Tour always boosted results for German brands. :wink:
Personally, I think it is more of a "chicken and egg" issue, and the results are just a symptom of another cause - I do not suspect that the Tour deliberately favors German brands. The results are more an indirect effect of proximity and market relevance. Tour is the leading magazine in the German market, so local brands give more priority to the test results and also put more effort into responding to requests from Tour. In addition, access / proximity probably also helps.

In many of its tests, Tour has found that many brands do not provide test bikes or respond to its requests. At the same time, local brands make it a priority and "tweak" their bikes to get better results than just sending a standard bike off-the-shelf. Or take it to the extreme like Storck, who claim that the test results in Tour were part of the briefing for the designers and use the test results as a marketing message.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I suppose in America, this is called "Teaching to the Test". Where some teachers put emphasis on teaching curriculum that would only show up on the national test, while ignoring all other curriculum. An abstraction of this is Campbell's Law, where the more important a particular metric is in social decision making, the more likely it is to be manipulated.

Now I'm NOT saying Tour Magazine is purposely doing any of these things. Tour has done a lot of good for the sport, and from what's observable on the surface it looks like Tour is doing their best to make trade-off decisions in favor of test fairness, within constraints like budget.

What is not standardizable, is how each bike brand participates with Tour since that is up to the individual companies themselves. And what is often impossible to control, is how the test results themselves are perceived by the public. But I suppose that's the fun of life.

Anyway, one thing I'd like to eventually see, is how these CdA's actually scale across different bike sizes. Josh@Silca has stated that small and large fringe size bikes do not get the same attention to detail as the mid-sized bikes even at the bike brand level, because time & money, and maybe because Medium sized frames sell the most.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Just ordered a Factor Ostro Vam II. Have their been any credible aero tests performed on this bike?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

toxin

by toxin

No

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:30 pm
Just ordered a Factor Ostro Vam II. Have their been any credible aero tests performed on this bike?
Please don't get me wrong: I don't want to discredit Factor here, all the more so as I drive an Ostro Gen I myself. But imo it is somehow strange that there still isn't a single aero test of the Ostro, neither gen I nor gen II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:07 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:30 pm
Please don't get me wrong: I don't want to discredit Factor here, all the more so as I drive an Ostro Gen I myself. But imo it is somehow strange that there still isn't a single aero test of the Ostro, neither gen I nor gen II
Tour specified that they hadn't recieved OSTRO 2.0 in the news of their release.