*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

pedalbasher wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:38 pm
In the market for an all-out aero race bike this year.

Scott Foil RC Pro looks tasty, and light enough in a decent spec not to frustrate me in the occasional mountains.

Any thoughts on that vs competitors? Open to suggestions :)

Wonder how the new Foil and Madone will score in Tour test.

Thanks!
Foil is 206w. .. Madone test numbers not released yet
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

Thanks. New Propel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

pedalbasher wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm
Thanks. New Propel?
209w. you only have to go back a few pages to find it :D
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

Is anyone able to post the top 10 current bikes as per Tour test? That would immensely helpful. I have tried to find it online but no success. Sending a virtual beer to anyone who can help!

Thanks

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

pedalbasher wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:06 am
Is anyone able to post the top 10 current bikes as per Tour test? That would immensely helpful. I have tried to find it online but no success. Sending a virtual beer to anyone who can help!

Thanks
It's literally on page 73. Do you look through this thread at all?

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:04 pm
pedalbasher wrote:

Thanks
Thank you. No, I didn't read through 75 pages of forum on the off chance that someone had pasted what I needed :wink:

Appreciate the signpost :thumbup:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

pedalbasher wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:59 pm
justkeepedaling wrote:
pedalbasher wrote:

Thanks
Thank you. No, I didn't read through 75 pages of forum on the off chance that someone had pasted what I needed :wink:

Why would you look at the first 70 pages for current bike results?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Why ask on this thread at all, when you can go directly to the Tour site and look for yourself.
Laziness I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

treyxt

by treyxt

Online forums are NOT for posting your questions, they're for shitting on people who ask questions. Get with the program.
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

thirdsun

by thirdsun

justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
pedalbasher wrote:

Thanks

So what you're saying is that the we should always expect to find the results within the last 5 pages of the thread?

Come on, the guy asked a valid question and the fact that his answer is found on page 73 was random luck.

What would actually make sense is keeping and updating those ranking in the first post of this thread.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

spartan wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:23 am
what looks fast and what is tested to be fast (ok based on the protocol used)

notice a dogma f with zipp can match a cervelo s5. pinarello never markets the dogma a pure aero bike but the numbers don't lie. it is very fast.

i doubt any of the new frames released this year will beat the current leader simplon pride 2 at 199w.
Is the conspiracy theory around the Ostro that Factor doesn't want it to do better/almost as good as the One? Or that it will be way off?

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Why do the pros so rarely use ~60mm wheelsets? Very often I see them on even less than 50mm. Never tried deeper than 47mm. And how big are the aero differences between these depths?

naavt

by naavt

NordicSal wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:00 pm
Why do the pros so rarely use ~60mm wheelsets? Very often I see them on even less than 50mm. Never tried deeper than 47mm. And how big are the aero differences between these depths?
Probably because of wind conditions and the fact that most stages have a mix of rolling terrain, descents and hills, so a mid depth 45 or 50 it's probabluy a better overall choice than a pure aero wheelset.

C36

by C36

NordicSal wrote:Why do the pros so rarely use ~60mm wheelsets? Very often I see them on even less than 50mm. Never tried deeper than 47mm. And how big are the aero differences between these depths?
You have different reasons :
- handling in a compact peloton, you don’t want to risk crashes (or worse crash your teammates) due to a difficult to handle front wheel.
- even if not the case for all, they are harsher
- in a peloton they make zero difference, they would only make a positive one on a breakaway, if you are leading a chase you still have the handling problem during all the other phases of the race.
- worth to notice that deep rims make a difference with a strong side wind (and at pro speeds, yaw angles are smaller than at our speeds, so less conditions where they make a difference).
- very deep wheels tend to feel sluggish, you wouldn’t care in a breakaway but for a leader that will make the difference attacking, they usually don’t like how the bike feel during those critical Kms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

thirdsun wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:15 pm
justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:

So what you're saying is that the we should always expect to find the results within the last 5 pages of the thread?

Come on, the guy asked a valid question and the fact that his answer is found on page 73 was random luck.

What would actually make sense is keeping and updating those ranking in the first post of this thread.
When this thread had only 55 pages, I went through the whole thing to try to find the info I was looking for. No, if you do due diligence by searching through the thread, going through recent pages and you can't find it, sure posit the question. But it's lazy as hell to say "you searched everywhere online" and couldn't find it and it literally is just a few pages before