Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

njleach

by njleach

dvrider wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:46 pm
As many of other users have already pointed out, this bike certainly had its flaws despite having many upsides. I struggled with many of the same early-life issues:
1. Loose headset noise - presumably caused by a combination of the plastic spacer compression, the small surface area of the expander, and the proprietary steerer tube geometry
2. Chain rub on the dropouts due to small clearances - as another user solved this by adding a spacer on the thru axle, so did I
3. Stem/handlebar damage on the frame when full rotation - there are no endstops on this frame, so the handlebar/stem can rotate and damage the carbon fiber if contacted hard enough, I solved this with a 3d printed endstop adhered to the frame

And now for me, potentially a later-life failure mode presenting itself - delamination of the steerer tube. All solvable issues with robust engineering test and quality control.
That's disappoint to hear re: quality control of Look frames - I was eyeing off the new 795 Blade RS that is getting announced next week

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

njleach wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:46 am
dvrider wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:46 pm
As many of other users have already pointed out, this bike certainly had its flaws despite having many upsides. I struggled with many of the same early-life issues:
1. Loose headset noise - presumably caused by a combination of the plastic spacer compression, the small surface area of the expander, and the proprietary steerer tube geometry
2. Chain rub on the dropouts due to small clearances - as another user solved this by adding a spacer on the thru axle, so did I
3. Stem/handlebar damage on the frame when full rotation - there are no endstops on this frame, so the handlebar/stem can rotate and damage the carbon fiber if contacted hard enough, I solved this with a 3d printed endstop adhered to the frame

And now for me, potentially a later-life failure mode presenting itself - delamination of the steerer tube. All solvable issues with robust engineering test and quality control.
That's disappoint to hear re: quality control of Look frames - I was eyeing off the new 795 Blade RS that is getting announced next week
The 795 Blade RS was high on my list 18 months ago. Turns out it was a good move not buying one huh.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

dvrider

by dvrider

I hope that with 4 years development and feedback that the new 795 is more refined.

Leon

by Leon

zappafile123 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:34 pm
The 795 Blade RS was high on my list 18 months ago. Turns out it was a good move not buying one huh.
The perfect bike doesn't exist. I'm loving my 795 though!
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

dvrider wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:17 pm
Hi all,

Please see my report on my own Look 795 Blade steerer tube. Recently I have noticed some signs of stage 1 delamination near where the steerer tube mates with the stem. See report for full details. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Drew Vigne
Which year is your bike?

And why don't you contact LOOK instead of mood-making people on this forum what to think about this? Guess almost no one is an carbon expert on this forum.

You have life-time warranty. And let us know what LOOK thinks and how it will be solved. That is what I would like to know.
Last edited by Leon on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

dvrider

by dvrider

I have contacted look and await their response from the warranty team. I'll keep you posted. My frame is 2020.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I was a few years back now but look were great to deal with when my 585 bb shell debonded. As long as u have purchased through all the correct channels and someone hasnt messed up on installation hopefully they sort u out

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

njleach

by njleach

New Look 795 Blade RS announced: https://road.cc/content/tech-news/look- ... ike-302003

7% stiffer and 10% more aero than previous gen

NotYou

by NotYou

njleach wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:16 am
New Look 795 Blade RS announced: https://road.cc/content/tech-news/look- ... ike-302003

7% stiffer and 10% more aero than previous gen
I really hope there's some British import tax at play, because that's some very expensive frame otherwise and completely breaks the value proposition look frames had in the past

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Hope it gets a different name...might be a pain ordering small spares if 2 different bikes carry the same name...add a Gen2 or something in the spares catalogue pls.

RDY

by RDY

Yikes on the pricing - that's practically double the outgoing model. I'd have to assume this is made in France, like their track bikes. Their made in TW / Tunisia stuff was never anywhere close to this expensive.

Also, that proprietary bar stem is going to be a big pain in the ass, just like the last bike's was.

796 looks good ... I wish they'd do a road version. Though not really, as the price would presumably be ~7000 euros.

naavt

by naavt

NotYou wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:45 am

I really hope there's some British import tax at play, because that's some very expensive frame otherwise and completely breaks the value proposition look frames had in the past
Agreed!

MJN76

by MJN76

First time poster here. Have been following the integrated handlebar discussion with some interest, as Naavt has demonstrated it is do-able & thought I would share some images from my project. Can go into more detail if anyone is interested, let me know.

To answer the question about whether any bars will work you need to go for a pair that segregate the hoses from the actual steerer tube. My C64 has a Deda Alanera integrated bars & they won’t work because the hoses are routed directly into the fork steerer...
Attachments
tempImageFKicaG.gif
tempImage8VpgRZ.gif

dvrider

by dvrider

Looks clean. How did you circumvent the proprietary steerer tube geometry?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juicebox

by Juicebox

Used the chance to share my Look 795-Blade project with full handlebar integration. Creds to the some hints from Naavt. It's actually doable with Deda-Stems and -Handlebars (I chose the Superbox and the Superzero RS, the Alanera would work the same way).

The tinkering:
The little Shims are 3D-printed to make the steerer round (A bit of electric-tape on one side was enough me to avoid them dropping in the inner, before tightening it the Stem).

I used the included Top-Cover of Deda https://dedaelementi.com/pub/media/cata ... parts2.pdf on top of the Headset-Cover of Look to route the cables from the front-side to the inner. A bit of of manual cutting to route the cables better was necessary.

Future:
I am very curious about the new Stem+Handlbar Combo of the new Blade and do hope it is in some way compatible and integratable in a similar way. Tha one would be a potential upgrade in future.
Attachments
IMG_3487.jpg
IMG_3380.jpg