Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rudye9mr wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm
none on my end - i have the older 2019 frame - before they used more HM fibres ~ 7000miles on it..

is it a scratch or a crack?

That is absolutely a crack, but whether it’s just a crack in the paint or carbon is hard to tell. He’d probably have to listen very closely while doing a tap test.

iankovski

by iankovski

rudye9mr wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm
none on my end - i have the older 2019 frame - before they used more HM fibres ~ 7000miles on it..

is it a scratch or a crack?
Looks like a crack in the paint, not scratch. I got on both sides of the top tube.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:38 pm
That is absolutely a crack, but whether it’s just a crack in the paint or carbon is hard to tell. He’d probably have to listen very closely while doing a tap test.
Yes, it's a crack but it's in the paint. I can press my finger on both sides and on the top of the tube and it's still flexible enough, I cannot hear any "crack" or feel the tube flumsy or moving. But, I mean, what a poor design and resistance material used to construct.

Do you think I should raise a warranty request for it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Yes, I would raise a warranty request about it no matter if it's the frame or just the paint. Not how it should look like.

Pew

by Pew

The crack on my frame was visible only on one side (drive-side). A mechanic at the bike shop pressed the top of the top tube with his fingers and compared the amount of flex to the other similar frames. They all flexed quite a bit but my frame was still more flexy than the others.
Attachments
IMG_20220830_132743.jpg
IMG_20220830_132719.jpg

RDY

by RDY

Will a normal 1 1/4" stem fit on top of the Look spacers and cable shroud, and allow for semi-integrated cabling as per the stock solution? Since I think the bottom of the Look stem is just flat rather than having an interface for the spacers / shroud? And I believe it's standard 1 1/4" diameter. Or am I wrong about it being flat bottomed?

If I am right, is it still going to work, given that the 795 needs a LOT of topcap compressions (more than double normal torque)?

naavt

by naavt

I'm fitting an integrated handlebar on mine and only needed to print 2 half circles to fill in the space between the fork stearer tube and stem

RDY

by RDY

naavt wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:06 pm
I'm fitting an integrated handlebar on mine and only needed to print 2 half circles to fill in the space between the fork stearer tube and stem
I thought the stock stem is round and came with those, or it's a curved rectangle shape too?

Either way, the cable shroud is fine with the integrated bar and you're routing the cables into the headset still?

naavt

by naavt

RDY wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:57 pm

I thought the stock stem is round and came with those, or it's a curved rectangle shape too?

Either way, the cable shroud is fine with the integrated bar and you're routing the cables into the headset still?
The almost rectangular shape that you see in the middle is the steerer tube. The 2 pieces that you see on each side are 3d printed. Outside is the diameter for a regular stem.

RDY

by RDY

naavt wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:25 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:57 pm

The almost rectangular shape that you see in the middle is the steerer tube. The 2 pieces that you see on each side are 3d printed. Outside is the diameter for a regular stem.

Thanks, I thought I'd read that the Look stem was 1 1/4" round, but with wedges.

So does the cable shroud still work properly without the screws to hold it in place (threading into the stock Look stem), or does it wobble all over the place and need to be stuck down or something else done to it?

forklifter

by forklifter

Is the Blade RS so short reached like it feels when you read the geometry chart instead of the real reach numbers?
The top tube is ultra short and the seat tube angle plus very adjustable seatpost makes a very compact position. But the reach is 386 at size M.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (10.3 KiB) Viewed 872 times

RDY

by RDY

With such a steep seat angle, and relatively short top tube, consequently the ETT and reach are much closer to each other than on most road frames. Geo is correct.

forklifter

by forklifter

I did not want to question the numbers from LOOK. Reach is measured from the bottom bracket.

I was more interested in understanding if the seat tube angle is really so steep. Would fit me well. Then the realistic reach numbers measured from seat position on the saddle are shorter. Even shorterin comparison to a frame with a not so steep seat tube angle...

naavt

by naavt

forklifter wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:10 am
I did not want to question the numbers from LOOK. Reach is measured from the bottom bracket.

I was more interested in understanding if the seat tube angle is really so steep. Would fit me well. Then the realistic reach numbers measured from seat position on the saddle are shorter. Even shorterin comparison to a frame with a not so steep seat tube angle...
I can tell you that my fit works with a inline seatpost on another bike in comparison with my 795 setback seatpost

forklifter

by forklifter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

forklifter wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:24 pm
Maybe some potential weight loss:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354402902587?h ... R77cioqzYQ
Have anyone tried this brand before? I'm not aware of how much the original seatpost weights but I can find that out, since my bike is being assembled next week.