Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Others had suggested the 795 replacement was going to be announced in the first couple of weeks of December - as told by Look customer support. So I initially thought that's what this was.

I would guess the 785 and 795 will still both be replaced even with this launch. They need new shinies to sell with the new world tour sponsorship, and both are old.

Ytse

by Ytse

2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leon

by Leon

Not my kind of bike but I like it anyway.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

RDY

by RDY

They've deleted a bunch of comments about new 795 and 785 on social media ... so I'm sure they're coming.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/look-765-optimum/
how bike radar got threaded bb?
Bottom bracket BB PF 86
https://www.lookcycle.com/us-en/product ... lood-satin

happy they stayed with PF

NotYou

by NotYou

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:18 pm
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/look-765-optimum/
They didn't say threaded bb, but threaded bb shell. Which is how the Token BBs usually work: you screw together the two parts via a thread in the shell between the two bearings.
And according to the specs of the fully build bikes, they still ship with BBs from Token. For frames however you can pick your own solution - threaded or not

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Thread-together bb option for a PF BB shell ....got it.

"a threaded bottom bracket shell" makes me think a t47..my bad

RDY

by RDY

Shame they didn't use 386 though.

Anyway, for the 795 replacement I hope they:

Keep BB386.
Keep super steep seat angle.
Bring back zero offset seatpost option (that doesn't weigh a ton).
Round steerer and 1.5" / 1.5" head tube to make third party stem / cockpit solutions easy.
Maybe look like a T20 lite.
32mm clearance.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

rudye9mr wrote:https://www.bikeradar.com/news/look-765-optimum/
Bottom bracket BB PF 86
https://www.lookcycle.com/us-en/product ... lood-satin

happy they stayed with PF
Strange. If you look at the specs for the whole bikes they all list T47 BBs
https://www.lookcycle.com/us-en/product ... lack-satin

iankovski

by iankovski

Guys, during the winter I'm planning some updgrades on my 795.

Starting with the crankset that gave me a couple of headaches last year. As I'm a newbie, I want to bring a Dura Ace 9100 to make the groupset fully Shimano. Since I'm coming from a SRAM Red, I have to replace the bottom bracket also, right? So, which parts do you recommend? The Token for Shimano? Also the crank must be the BB30? Also, how to "fix" the painting that I got scratched with the chain?

The other thing I was imagining to do is get the E-TUBE Wireless Unit D-FLY 2-Port Junction hidden into the frame. Is there anyway to do it? Right now mine is installed in a way that it's outside the stem, pretty ugly and annoying.

Another thing, which handlebar are you using so far? I like the Look ADH but I was planning to have something so I can hide the brake cables a little bit underneath the bar. Which options can you recommend?

I was thinking about replace the Aeropost2 with the v3. Is it worth the upgrade for a few grams?

I also noticed some few cracks in the top tube painting. I've never seated on the top tube or pressed it. Is it normal?

The last thing, about the rear brake cable routing, is it possible to change from the right to the left cable houding? And is it possible to find a Jagwire cap cover for the frame hole on the left side? I don't know how I've lost it.

Below you can find some pictures.

Pew

by Pew

iankovski wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:55 pm
Guys, during the winter I'm planning some updgrades on my 795.

Starting with the crankset that gave me a couple of headaches last year. As I'm a newbie, I want to bring a Dura Ace 9100 to make the groupset fully Shimano. Since I'm coming from a SRAM Red, I have to replace the bottom bracket also, right? So, which parts do you recommend? The Token for Shimano? Also the crank must be the BB30? Also, how to "fix" the painting that I got scratched with the chain?

The other thing I was imagining to do is get the E-TUBE Wireless Unit D-FLY 2-Port Junction hidden into the frame. Is there anyway to do it? Right now mine is installed in a way that it's outside the stem, pretty ugly and annoying.

Another thing, which handlebar are you using so far? I like the Look ADH but I was planning to have something so I can hide the brake cables a little bit underneath the bar. Which options can you recommend?

I was thinking about replace the Aeropost2 with the v3. Is it worth the upgrade for a few grams?

I also noticed some few cracks in the top tube painting. I've never seated on the top tube or pressed it. Is it normal?

The last thing, about the rear brake cable routing, is it possible to change from the right to the left cable houding? And is it possible to find a Jagwire cap cover for the frame hole on the left side? I don't know how I've lost it.

Below you can find some pictures.

1) Standard Simano cranks work without an issue. I used Wheels MFG BB386 thread-fit as it was recommended by my local dealer.

2) Look makes an adapter for di2-junction box that fits into the downtube. It was included with my frameset. You need to buy the handlebar junction box (EW RS-910) to fit it.

3) I'm using some PRO handlebars with mine. They don't have integrated cable routing but the brake hoses sit nicely underneath the bar tape.

4) I don't have experiences with the Aeropost 2 as my frameset came with Aeropost 3. So far, no issues with that. It's definately a well made seatpost.

5) My frameset developed some visible cracks on the top tube within the first two weeks. It only got worse. I took the bike to my dealer and they told me to stop riding immidiately. The frameset was sent back to Look and they ended up replacing the frameset. As I understood, the carbon layup in the top tube (upper part) is really thin and in some cases it may end up being too thin (due to manufacturing tolerances) thus flexing too much and developing cracks.

Ps. I absolutely love the bike. Rides quality is fantastic: surprisingly smooth and stable in high speeds but feels very responsive when I'm really pushing it.
Attachments
LOOK795_1.png

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

@Pew-beautiful machine!!

iankovski

by iankovski

Pew wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:25 pm
1) Standard Simano cranks work without an issue. I used Wheels MFG BB386 thread-fit as it was recommended by my local dealer.

2) Look makes an adapter for di2-junction box that fits into the downtube. It was included with my frameset. You need to buy the handlebar junction box (EW RS-910) to fit it.

3) I'm using some PRO handlebars with mine. They don't have integrated cable routing but the brake hoses sit nicely underneath the bar tape.

4) I don't have experiences with the Aeropost 2 as my frameset came with Aeropost 3. So far, no issues with that. It's definately a well made seatpost.

5) My frameset developed some visible cracks on the top tube within the first two weeks. It only got worse. I took the bike to my dealer and they told me to stop riding immidiately. The frameset was sent back to Look and they ended up replacing the frameset. As I understood, the carbon layup in the top tube (upper part) is really thin and in some cases it may end up being too thin (due to manufacturing tolerances) thus flexing too much and developing cracks.

Ps. I absolutely love the bike. Rides quality is fantastic: surprisingly smooth and stable in high speeds but feels very responsive when I'm really pushing it.
Thanks Pew, your bike looks amazing. That's chameleon scheme is killer. Let me just ask some other questions:

2) My bike already has the junction box attached to the frame. This other D-Fly allows the connection to e-tube and the ANT+ connectivity. I think it's a different device.

5) How bad was the cracks in your case? Do you have any picture of it?

iankovski

by iankovski

Guys, about the cracks that I have on the top tube, is it common to you? Someone already had this as Pew already talked in the previous post? Here some pictures of mine:

Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

none on my end - i have the older 2019 frame - before they used more HM fibres ~ 7000miles on it..

is it a scratch or a crack?