Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I mean the alu darimo stem is primarily designed for xc mtb’s. Some drop bars will work, most won’t.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelK

by MichaelK

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:14 pm
I mean the alu darimo stem is primarily designed for xc mtb’s. Some drop bars will work, most won’t.
From their own website.
What about using it for Road or Gravel handlebars?

Yes, it’s possible with our Darimo Ellipse handlebar.
So it should work. However, after watching their video of installing the bars into their carbon IX2 stem I'd be hesitant about exactly how much you can bend the aluminium version before causing issues.

malminmanne

by malminmanne

^Exactly. As they advertise that Ellipse should work with the stem, I thought the install would be piece of cake like it is with the before mentioned FSA handlebar.

Bit of a shame as the stem looks absolutely perfect and offers a nice clean cockpit. As well as better EUR/g ratio as the carbon counterparts.

PeanutButterCups

by PeanutButterCups

malminmanne wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 am
Does anyone know how to install the Ellipse handlebar to IX2al stem? The kink at the handlebar seems way too tight to get the stem through. Ironically, FSA handlebars can be installed with ease .

Its pretty frustrating that Darimo includes the instruction page with the stem but advices to only contact them via email to get the instructions.
Funny what goes around comes around.

This is what we used to have fun with on Cinelli XA stems as well as other brands before open face removal.

It used to be frustrating at times back then but some patience is all it took and wedging open the stem correctly at the right gap helped. It was just a matter of getting the correct angle without forcing the handlebars too much.

Aeo

by Aeo

Manual for Intend BC stem with similar design
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-06-07 13-03-39.png
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

FWIW I still have not received a reply regards my broken Sub 4 clamp. I did message them thru their site. I will ask one more time.

nickf

by nickf

Juanmoretime wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 pm
FWIW I still have not received a reply regards my broken Sub 4 clamp. I did message them thru their site. I will ask one more time.
I gave up on that clamp awhile ago. Using the Tune Schraubwürger on all of my bikes now. Set and forget.

Aeo

by Aeo

Mine hasn't moved in 1+ year
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Darimo did respond to my second email and said they did not receive the original email. I believe them since like regular mail, email does get lost. They are warrantying my clamp. Use it nad trust it? Maybe.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

posted in error.

i will add that my darimo xc stuff has been great for years now. my road bike drop bars are great also but i struggle to get my old sram etap hoots to be secure and not move about. maybe i need better carbon paste, or grip tape under the aluminum ring.

Maddie

by Maddie

Use some sanding paper on the bar where the clamps will be installed. Clean with isopropanol. No more carbon paste necessary

velov

by velov

I don't understand why that and putting allignment marks on the bars can't be done by Darimo.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Alignment markings should not be trusted on any bars. Use a spirit level.

velov

by velov

MichaelK wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:09 pm
Alignment markings should not be trusted on any bars. Use a spirit level.
A spirit level doesn't help with centering the stem or the shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelK

by MichaelK

I was referring to the shifter markings, which are usually the worst at being level/even. Obviously you should use a ruler or tape measure too.