Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=C36 post_id=1803280 time=1683277415 user_id=69709]
[quote=velov post_id=1803231 time=1683245507 user_id=73275]
Are people, having similar QC and customer service issues with Schmolke, Ax Lightness, McFk, etc? Especially those who've bought both Darimo and the German brands in the past...
[/quote]

I stoppe using MCFK after they didn't backed-up their product failure and dragged their feet (now that was pre-covid... they can only have improved since then...), I had few issues with Ax but they were responsive. I had one issue with Darimo (the 4g seat-post clamp had a fiber that deliaminated over 6-7mm. Used it for 2 months without problem before I stop procastinate and contacted them) and got replacement part within a week.
[/quote]

I sent Darimo a message two weeks ago on my clamp failure asking them if it was warrantied since it was less than a year old. I torqued it down properly and a wrench had not touch the clamp in many months. It was a JRA. Out on a ride and the alloy insert pulled out. Luckily it was close to home and did scuff up my T2 setback seatpost a bit. Now to grab some healthy snack and wait for their reply.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Sat May 06, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velov

by velov

Shame about Darimo and McFk, aesthetically would be the perfect choice for a new build I'm doing. The hassle just isn't worth it for me. At these prices I expect a lot more than these brands are delivering. Schmolke TLO seems to be the one at the top...too bad they don't make a cylindrical stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

re26

by re26

Watch out for Schmolke. I purchaed two of their TLO products, both of which failed during rides. The seatpost was the first to fail, and I sent them very detailed close up pix. They confirmed by the detailed pix that it fell under the crash replacement warranty, but they offered only 30% not 50%. The 50% is due for less than 12 months failure. When I asked why they were not applying the 50% they (Clemens Berger - CS Support) went surprisingly silent. I continued to ping to 4 months and never got another response...at all. Then when the handlebar cracked, I knew these sheisters weren't worth the trouble and I'd been beat out of my money. Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice, well I just ate it.

Bought Darimo replacements for both and they have withstood the test of time.

Buyer beware.
Scott Scale 920 (2021)

Xabi

by Xabi

:shock:
re26 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:59 pm
Watch out for Schmolke. I purchaed two of their TLO products, both of which failed during rides. The seatpost was the first to fail, and I sent them very detailed close up pix. They confirmed by the detailed pix that it fell under the crash replacement warranty, but they offered only 30% not 50%. The 50% is due for less than 12 months failure. When I asked why they were not applying the 50% they (Clemens Berger - CS Support) went surprisingly silent. I continued to ping to 4 months and never got another response...at all. Then when the handlebar cracked, I knew these sheisters weren't worth the trouble and I'd been beat out of my money. Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice, well I just ate it.

Buyer beware.
Thats the risk of running ultralight, darimo can break too, the ones that I know have been after a crash.

nickf

by nickf

All bets are off if crashed. I have personally broken a set of Easton bars and bent an alloy drop bar.

PeanutButterCups

by PeanutButterCups

Xabi wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:38 pm
re26 wrote:

Buyer beware.
Thats the risk of running ultralight, darimo can break too, the ones that I know have been after a crash.
Exactly, regardless of price consider it disposable products. I have an MCFK stem, seat post and saddle and wouldn't be surprised if at some stage they will fail in some way.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

PeanutButterCups wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:38 am
Xabi wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:38 pm
re26 wrote:

Buyer beware.
Exactly, regardless of price consider it disposable products. I have an MCFK stem, seat post and saddle and wouldn't be surprised if at some stage they will fail in some way.
Fail because of crash or fail due to a bad product is vastly different.

If the stuff fails for regular consumers doing regular riding then the product is shit.

You pay premium for the most premium product you should also expect premium. People buying a Porsche pays premium price expecting a premium product to fail without the user completely trashing it... Bad product.. Regardless of price, a product should just not fail. Especially not life critical items as handlebar, stem and seatpost

kode54

by kode54

I've had a Darimo stem delaminate by the front clamp on an IX2. I bought it from R2-bike and was warrantied directly through Darimo with no issue. The delamination happened after a few rides and hitting a not-so-deep pothole separated the layers. I heard a snap and couldn't find the culprit...until I took the handlebar off and noticed it on the bottom portion of the IX2 clamping areas. It still held tight but not safe for the long-term. There were no issues with replacement after sending pics and receipt from R2. It happens and its possible that the resin didn't take well in that area...but nevertheless, no other issues with Darimo seatposts or other bits like handlebars.

I don't feel that its a bad product. Stuff happens and luckily, no injury as a result. I continue to buy MCFK and Darimo.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

partytaco

by partytaco

Darimo = Terrible customer service. Product is not trustworthy. Would not recommend or buy from again.
Finally received my Darimo seatpost after months of waiting and confusion. Their customer service is extremely poor and their level of organization possibly even worse. After receiving the seatpost, I noticed the rear bolt was too short to bring the seatpost anywhere neat level or slight nose down, I contacted them about getting a replacement and received nothing in response for a few days. They finally respond and say one will be sent out immediately. After waiting 10 days and not hearing or seeing anything I contact them again, the same person responds and acts like he is unaware of the issue so I source my own replacement hoping to still receive the matching black bolt. Seatpost collar torqued to 5nm, exactly in between the two marked lines on the post and it cracks the entire length of the seatpost after a 5 mile ride. I contact them about the crack and the bolt again, nothing. No response.
Avoid this brand. Schmolke is the way to go.

neeb

by neeb

Hmm, well, I've generally had good experiences. T1 seatpost, IX2 stem and ellipse bars. I did have a seatpost crack when a bike shop overtorqued the clamp when they moved the saddle up to test a creaky BB I'd asked them to look at. Not a fault with the product, but Darimo repaired it free of charge. Other than that everything has been faultless and I have quite a few thousand miles on it.

partytaco

by partytaco

I have another Darimo seatpost and other than how hard it is to deal with the dynema cords, it's been great. My issue this time is actually just more with how poorly they have dealt with the customer service aspect - even before the post cracked it was like, send the f'n bolts you promised already. I think they just don't have the man power to deal with the enquires and orders and because of that they are suffering. But I wouldn't buy from them ever again.
neeb wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm
Hmm, well, I've generally had good experiences. T1 seatpost, IX2 stem and ellipse bars. I did have a seatpost crack when a bike shop overtorqued the clamp when they moved the saddle up to test a creaky BB I'd asked them to look at. Not a fault with the product, but Darimo repaired it free of charge. Other than that everything has been faultless and I have quite a few thousand miles on it.

jlok

by jlok

I stopped using the Darimo seatpost due to the combination with SMP Full Carbon saddle. It didn't fail for one year of use but just in case...
Selle SMP Saddle Installation Instructions
Selle SMP Saddle Installation Instructions
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

malminmanne

by malminmanne

Does anyone know how to install the Ellipse handlebar to IX2al stem? The kink at the handlebar seems way too tight to get the stem through. Ironically, FSA handlebars can be installed with ease .

Its pretty frustrating that Darimo includes the instruction page with the stem but advices to only contact them via email to get the instructions.

C36

by C36

I recall this video on their YouTube channel.
https://youtu.be/qo897KySkdI

malminmanne

by malminmanne

Thanks, but I have seen that (and its for carbon ix2). I tried the same method with the Ix2al stem but its not even close at going in.

Already regretting buying either of these stupid things. The carbon quality is subpar (lots of micro scratches and dings that can be seen/felt by hand) and the anodizing on the stem comes off even from the carbon headset cap!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com