Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

charirider wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 11:37 am
jdecraene85 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:42 am
mrlobber wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 am
Here you have it, a multiple of them.
A bit exaggerated by the strong sunlight, but the green stuff isn't reflection of the grass...
Wow. That's absolutely horrible. For 850 euros... unbelievable.
No way I will ever consider ordering an integrated aerobar from Darimo now.
I recently received a reinforced Dogma F seatpost (my second one, the first 'normal one' was too flexy) and it seems certainly more than okay (not tested yet).
But this handlebar certainly didn't get the finish / workmanship you'd expect for that price. Urgh.
Who nees it now when new Metron 5D is released?
340g of stiffness aero perfextion proven with countless grand tour podiums!
And proper RD/testing.
And "raw" 3k finish.
And availability.
And much cheaper price

Or go chinese way... farsports, avian, etc
If the Metron had a bit more flare it would be the perfect bar.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

My SL8 seatpost is finally on the way, just short of10 weeks after ordering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

charirider wrote:
And proper RD/testing.
And "raw" 3k finish.
And availability.
And much cheaper price

Need 380x100 unfortunately.

charirider

by charirider

otnemem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:42 pm
charirider wrote:
And proper RD/testing.
And "raw" 3k finish.
And availability.
And much cheaper price

1.png
1.png (41.3 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

otnemem

by otnemem

charirider wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 7:24 am
otnemem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:42 pm
1.png
Thanks! Can't find it anywhere in Europe (yet?) but I'll keep checking. Certainly saves me from having to mess with Darimo.

Too bad they don't make that combo in XL spec for extra aero gainz.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Finally received my SL8 seatpost.

I had a fright to begin with, when I couldn't get the correct angle on my saddle - the rotating cradle has a shelf on both ends for some reason that severely limits the range of saddle angles achievable.

I was able to file some of this shelf off to allow the extra 1-2mm of rotation I needed, but this feels like poorly considered design.

On top of that, it turned out to be only 30 grams lighter. I only purchased one because I needed a 0 offset post and couldn't bare to go back to the SL7 style tapered seat clamp on the Specialized 0 post, but had I actually chosen one of these posts as an upgrade I'd have been super disappointed with the money spent!
IMG_4734.JPG

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:32 pm
Finally received my SL8 seatpost.

I had a fright to begin with, when I couldn't get the correct angle on my saddle - the rotating cradle has a shelf on both ends for some reason that severely limits the range of saddle angles achievable.

I was able to file some of this shelf off to allow the extra 1-2mm of rotation I needed, but this feels like poorly considered design.

On top of that, it turned out to be only 30 grams lighter. I only purchased one because I needed a 0 offset post and couldn't bare to go back to the SL7 style tapered seat clamp on the Specialized 0 post, but had I actually chosen one of these posts as an upgrade I'd have been super disappointed with the money spent!

IMG_4734.JPG
Anyone else had issues with the seat post slipping?

I used their supplied carbon paste liberally enough that it came out the top on insertion, torqued correctly and it slowly slipped over an hour ride.

Sorted it at my destination, nipped it up a little tighter than it was (no torque wrench)

Over an hour ride home, I had to stop every 10-15 mins to raise it back up 10mm.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

It's pretty safe to say the standard SL8 seatpost is pretty light. Not that much Darimo and others can do to make the carbon body much lighter.

What is still too heavy in the standard seatpost is the clamp and metal triangular wedge. I think there is scope for an innovative manufacturer to sell a retrofit lighter carbon wedge and less substantial/lighter clamp. There might need to be a weight limit on these parts though. Now that would sell well to the WW crowd!

Ryan W has also promised a lighter SL8 seatpost due this summer. I wonder how much lighter it can be?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

The Hylix one is 130g for an SL8 Compatible version, cut it down to say 300 and you would have a 120g post.. anyone tried it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355680757438 ... &media=COP
S-Works SL8 - 6.29Kg/13.86Ib
Cervelo S3 Disc - 6.78Kg/14.94Ib
Scott Addict RC - 6.92Kg/15.25Ib
OnOne - Free Ranger - 8.68Kg/19.1Ib
Scott CR1 - 5.69Kg/12.54Ib

Nickldn

by Nickldn

stevec1975 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:07 pm
The Hylix one is 130g for an SL8 Compatible version, cut it down to say 300 and you would have a 120g post.. anyone tried it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355680757438 ... &media=COP
Yeah, so it'd be 24g lighter than my 144g standard seatpost. Not worth the bother IMO.

I reckon something c. 90g would make it more worthwhile swapping.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Shameless plug. I do have a Darimo T1 loop for sale in the for sale section here. I'm sure it would work on a road bike but the saddle kept working it's way loose on my fatbike.

Matte86

by Matte86

mikehhhhhhh wrote:Finally received my SL8 seatpost.

IMG_4734.JPG
It’s strange it’s only ~30 grams less.. as my SL8 0 seat back is ~190 grams

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Matte86 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:18 pm
mikehhhhhhh wrote:Finally received my SL8 seatpost.

IMG_4734.JPG
It’s strange it’s only ~30 grams less.. as my SL8 0 seat back is ~190 grams
Interesting that the Specialized 0 post is so much heavier than the -15! The old SL7 type seat clamp does need more hardware and seatpost to house it though, so perhaps it's not that surprising.

ry5n

by ry5n

Is there any evidence of T1 seatposts (carbon yokes or the loop version) causing damage to carbon saddle rails?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

ry5n wrote:Is there any evidence of T1 seatposts (carbon yokes or the loop version) causing damage to carbon saddle rails?
I managed to crack my Gelu saddle in a incident, and Anghel from Gelu says the loops is probably stressing the rails because the cradle is pretty short. A new order from Gelu included a cradly from his seatpost which is almost double the length, definitely much more supportive. See the second Pic contrasting the length of the different cradles.

Do take this incident with a pinch of salt though, the Gelu saddle is super light weight and most saddle rails should be much more solid than it. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com