Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeiviX

by DeiviX

Caution with Chinese copies

I'll give you a way to differentiate it, the first photo is from an original, look at the typography, which is not the same as the second photo, which is from an Alixpress powerhouse. Apart from this, they are only in 6th measurement.
Original
Original
Original
Original
Copy
Copy

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Received my Darimo Nexum Drag / seatpost combo for SL8 ~14 weeks after the date of order.

The seatpost looks mostly fine, except a couple of imperfections in the UD layup under the clearcoat.

The Nexum Drag, on the other hand, is, well, a bit "rough", as the clearcoat is totally not uniform, and has a few "edges" here and there, greenish patches of resin visible at several places... yes, sure, a handmade product, but either the time or the skill (or both) to make it feel at least a bit closer to premium, has definitely not been put in.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

milanv

by milanv

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 am
Received my Darimo Nexum Drag / seatpost combo for SL8 ~14 weeks after the date of order.

The seatpost looks mostly fine, except a couple of imperfections in the UD layup under the clearcoat.

The Nexum Drag, on the other hand, is, well, a bit "rough", as the clearcoat is totally not uniform, and has a few "edges" here and there, greenish patches of resin visible at several places... yes, sure, a handmade product, but either the time or the skill (or both) to make it feel at least a bit closer to premium, has definitely not been put in.
One photo better than million words.

refthimos

by refthimos

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 am
Wow that was FAST! :)

Tomorrow will be 25 weeks from order date for my Nexum Drag, and they still don't have an ETA to ship.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Erwin

by Erwin

That is really a shame, rather horrible. Half a year of waiting and no response and the quality is also lacking. I have seen lots of MCFK, THM, AX Lightness and nowadays more and more Chinese products. Nearly all my Darimo products (always seatposts) had minor imperfections and I have done some refinish (sometimes refill voids with 2k and sanding). My EXS bar for example is really finished nice, even the Hylix seatpost for my SL7 is finished quite nicely and with 135g only a few grams heavier than a Darimo seatpost I have also got with the frame, but no 0-offset available.
I like the look of the Nexum Drag bar, but don't want to deal with them anymore.

Hope you guys receive your orders in the near future! The saison is still young. :beerchug:
Last edited by Erwin on Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

charirider

by charirider

Wanted 25.4mm 3k matte seatpost in 250mm lenght... No way I will wait 6month only to receive product with imperfections. I think I will pass and just modify existing SAVE seatpost with Gelu saddle mounting hardware, should get it under 130g and no dyneema loop fuss.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

mrlobber

by mrlobber

refthimos wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Tomorrow will be 25 weeks from order date for my Nexum Drag, and they still don't have an ETA to ship.
TBH, I din't have any ETA either (although they at least answered my email twice after the initially quoted 10 week period was expired), until basically the package turned up with UPS suddenly :D
milanv wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:27 pm
Here you have it, a multiple of them.
A bit exaggerated by the strong sunlight, but the green stuff isn't reflection of the grass...

Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

mrlobber wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 am
A bit exaggerated by the strong sunlight, but the green stuff isn't reflection of the grass...
Wow. That's absolutely horrible. For 850 euros... unbelievable.
No way I will ever consider ordering an integrated aerobar from Darimo now.
I recently received a reinforced Dogma F seatpost (my second one, the first 'normal one' was too flexy) and it seems certainly more than okay (not tested yet).
But this handlebar certainly didn't get the finish / workmanship you'd expect for that price. Urgh.

alanyu

by alanyu

mrlobber wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 am
refthimos wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 pm

TBH, I din't have any ETA either (although they at least answered my email twice after the initially quoted 10 week period was expired), until basically the package turned up with UPS suddenly :D
milanv wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:27 pm

Be careful about the imperfection around the stem. One chinese guy broke around the bolt part at only 3.5 Nm, while the manual said 4 Nm. Though Darimo warrantied it quickly, they changed it to 3.5 Nm in the manual.

WTF lowering their standand instead of making qualified products.

Another example is Carbon Ti lowering their max spoke tension secretly in the manual twice due to quite a lot flange failure.
Attachments
1000075207.png
1000075211.png
1000075210.png

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

You also have to wonder how much time/money these "boutique" companies actually spend in stress-testing their products, especially if you consider the difference in finish between different "identical" items (tbh what can be seen in these images is horrible). As far as you know the prototype passed the stress tests, but there is no way of guaranteeing the product you get is built in the exact same way and will support the same loads. Clearly there are some QC issues. Especially with companies that pride themselves in delivering you super light products, where every gram saved counts.

And if then you read they rate something to be tightened to 4Nm (how did they determine this?) to silently backpedal and change the specs to 3.5Nm (until another one cracks, and let's write 3Nm now?) it looks more like guesswork than an actual scientific approach. Also, taking your average torque wrench into account, what will be the real life difference between 3.5Nm and 4Nm when a human torques up the bolts?

It's one thing for a carbon bottle cage to break, but a handlebar can leave you seriously injured. I'd rather not have the lightest on the market, but one that I know will survive real world usage.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

darimo must be making enough money right now not to care enough about customer turn around times. i think it has to be something significant for them to change their practices

EdSawyer

by EdSawyer

That bar does look pretty rough, finish wise. I think if it was me, I would return it. The one I got from r2 was much better finish-wise, although it's not glossy. Looks like the one in the pictures has been installed, and or damaged, but, that would seem out of character for them to send something that had previously been rejected? Hard to guess what is going on there.

Lunn

by Lunn

Holy shit, Darimo has lost it. That looks terrible, what happened to their QC? Does nobody inspect the items that are sent out? Jesus.

You should return that, honestly.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

EdSawyer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:43 pm
That bar does look pretty rough, finish wise. I think if it was me, I would return it. The one I got from r2 was much better finish-wise, although it's not glossy. Looks like the one in the pictures has been installed, and or damaged, but, that would seem out of character for them to send something that had previously been rejected? Hard to guess what is going on there.
No idea, although I ordered a pretty rare colour of decals, but those can be likely easily reapplied.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Cyclespeed has ordered a Drag for his SL8. It would be interesting to see how his turns out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com