Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

ry5n wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:42 am
Is there any evidence of T1 seatposts (carbon yokes or the loop version) causing damage to carbon saddle rails?
I have been running the loop post on two bikes for some time now. Zero issues and zero marks on the saddle rails. I had a xxx saddle mounted for a long time and upon removal it showed zero wear or marks on the carbon rails.
Last edited by nickf on Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:06 pm
ry5n wrote:Is there any evidence of T1 seatposts (carbon yokes or the loop version) causing damage to carbon saddle rails?
I managed to crack my Gelu saddle in a incident, and Anghel from Gelu says the loops is probably stressing the rails because the cradle is pretty short. A new order from Gelu included a cradly from his seatpost which is almost double the length, definitely much more supportive. See the second Pic contrasting the length of the different cradles.

Do take this incident with a pinch of salt though, the Gelu saddle is super light weight and most saddle rails should be much more solid than it. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This is the exact reason why I decided not to bother with this loop t1 seatpost and did the same, ordered full clamping system from GELU for my Cannondale SAVE seatpost.
I am ok with 130g of bulletproof quality and compliance than 70g of noodly "clamping" system and eggshell-thin carbon.
Maybe for lighter (<60kg) rider t1 loop works, but I'd look at t2 15/25mm offset seatposts. Heavier at around 100g but surely more reliable clamping, although alu yokes still can "cut" carbon saddle rails because cradle is still too short...
GELU clamping system is superior in any way, clamping at full length both from cradle and top side.
IMG_9955.jpeg
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

ry5n

by ry5n

I asked because I’ve been running a Darimo T1 (with carbon yokes, not the dyneema loops) for a few months with a Selle Italia C59 saddle. I now have what looks like a hairline crack in one rail.

There’s a carbon repair shop in town who I trust; I’ll have them take a look at the rail tomorrow. If it’s damaged, I’ll likely go back to my stock post. Is the rocker diameter generally standard for 27.2 seat posts? If it is the Gelu system should save me some of the difference.

TobyLangstone

by TobyLangstone

I bought the nexum drag (reinforced 100kg plus version), carefully torqued it to spec and then pushed on the bars only to hear a little crack. It cracked between the clamp bolts.
Darimo said it was unusual and quickly agreed to warranty replace them. However I'm having some safety concerns. For context 85kg and racing.
Has anyone pushed these bars and feel they're safe enough for racing? Hoping for a confidence boost 😬
IMG_2756.jpeg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

TobyLangstone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:35 pm
I bought the nexum drag (reinforced 100kg plus version), carefully torqued it to spec and then pushed on the bars only to hear a little crack. It cracked between the clamp bolts.
Darimo said it was unusual and quickly agreed to warranty replace them. However I'm having some safety concerns. For context 85kg and racing.
Has anyone pushed these bars and feel they're safe enough for racing? Hoping for a confidence boost 😬IMG_2756.jpeg
You can take a horse to water...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobyLangstone

by TobyLangstone

Not you again 😬

Aryeh

by Aryeh

TobyLangstone wrote:I bought the nexum drag (reinforced 100kg plus version), carefully torqued it to spec and then pushed on the bars only to hear a little crack. It cracked between the clamp bolts.
Has anyone pushed these bars and feel they're safe enough for racing? Hoping for a confidence boost Image
IMG_2756.jpeg
How long did you have to wait from when you ordered before getting a product that immediately cracked before you even used it?

Sent from my CPH2583 using Tapatalk

TobyLangstone

by TobyLangstone

14 weeks 🤦‍♂️

nickf

by nickf

No way I would have any confidence in that bar. I would ask for a refund. I have nothing but good things to say about their zero offset loop seatpost but everything else seems very dodgy.

C36

by C36

ry5n wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:22 pm
I asked because I’ve been running a Darimo T1 (with carbon yokes, not the dyneema loops) for a few months with a Selle Italia C59 saddle. I now have what looks like a hairline crack in one rail.

There’s a carbon repair shop in town who I trust; I’ll have them take a look at the rail tomorrow. If it’s damaged, I’ll likely go back to my stock post. Is the rocker diameter generally standard for 27.2 seat posts? If it is the Gelu system should save me some of the difference.
Sharing my experience with 3 Darimo seatpost (with the loops) after using Schmolke, AX and MCKF. I broke few rails over the years (and yokes... and tubes) and all happened with metallic yokes, I find the loops to offer a better fit with the rails over hokes that do not adjust to the exact curvature of the rail and create stress points.
The Gelu cradle is longer than the usual ones rather than the Darimo unusually short (It is the same length than the previous ones) and on this particular case I would point out more a Gelu limitation due to their design (lighter rails but need more cradle support).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobyLangstone wrote:
Has anyone pushed these bars and feel they're safe enough for racing? Hoping for a confidence boost 😬IMG_2756.jpeg
I think you got the answer right in your own home...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Question to t1 loop seatpost users. Do you also need to torque the bolts every few weeks? I’m not sure if it’s bolts loosening or dyneema stretching but sometimes I hear some creaking while riding and it stops for a while after I torque the bolts.

nickf

by nickf

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:12 pm
Question to t1 loop seatpost users. Do you also need to torque the bolts every few weeks? I’m not sure if it’s bolts loosening or dyneema stretching but sometimes I hear some creaking while riding and it stops for a while after I torque the bolts.
Yes it can happen. I use blue Loctite on both of the bolts.

C36

by C36

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:12 pm
Short answer yes, then it shouldn't move.

Longer answer, "many people" torque the rear screw and call it a day. You should rock the saddle once you torque it to spec to be sure you balanced the tension between the front and rear loop, it will creak and then you can retorque to spec.This being said the loops do creep during the initial period of usage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knedragon27

by Knedragon27

TobyLangstone wrote:
Has anyone pushed these bars and feel they're safe enough for racing? Hoping for a confidence boost 😬
Why would you race with that bar ? Just asking?