Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Okay, so I guess I never really looked that hard, but there is something there. Part of me thinks this is a top layer of carbon for aesthetics or something similar. The reason I think this is because the crank length sticker seems to match the curvature of the "line" pretty closely. I've got a question out to Rotor about it and I'll report back.
Rotor Aldhu Carbon.jpg
Rotor Aldhu Carbon.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

This is what I heard back:
The lacquer is not as flexible of a material as the carbon, so where the different materials meet, in this case, aluminum and carbon, the lacquer may have a loss of elasticity and as a result, that line that we can see in the picture.
So yeah its just a cosmetic issue. I've got 7500 miles on this set and they've been fine.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Been using Power2Max with ALDHU24 crankset, 110BCD 5 bolt. I'm currently using Absolute Black 52/38 setup but want to switch to 53/39 when these are worn out. Looking at 53/39 110bcd setup, you have a few options :
- ROTOR Round Aero
- CARBON-TI Chainring X-CarboRing Carbon BCD 110

I really love the Carbon-Ti for the looks and reviews but the price is insane. Rotor is way better priced, I heard some people have issues with shifting on Shimano R8070 DI2? Is this still an issue? And are there any other 110 BCD 5 bolt chainrings in 53/39 that I should look at? Previously everything was 130BCD due to stifness/flex in bigger chainrings, anyone been running this succesfully?

Terrordact

by Terrordact

I can get a pretty good deal (IMO) at the moment. Are they holding up for people? Does anyone else run Ultegra mechanical with them, and if so are there any shifting issues?

gofry

by gofry

Hi Folks,
I've came cross a good deal for a power2max edition ngeco power meter (seems it is basically a rotor vegast). Basically 100 EUR lower at a p2m reseller than at power2max
I already own a 3d24 one, which I love but I want to put that to my spare bike and get a new for my oltre xr4.
I'm wondering if they only difference between the aldhu and the vegast is that 30g penalty? And is the vegast by any means worse than the aldhu and my old trusty 3d24.
Any feedback welcomed.

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

Terrordact wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 pm
I can get a pretty good deal (IMO) at the moment. Are they holding up for people? Does anyone else run Ultegra mechanical with them, and if so are there any shifting issues?
I'm running them on my time trial bike with Ultegra mechanical (6800), 155mm cranks and a 54/38 combo (inner ring is Shimano, outer is the Rotor aero dinner plate), no shifting issues whatsoever.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Terrordact wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 pm
I have the Aldhu 24 arms paired with a Shimano BSA bottom bracket on my old rim brake bike. Paired it with a Sigeyi AXO 4-110 with Ultegra R8000 chain rings and it's been perfect. R8000 group on that bike.

I have a Red dub set up with a quarq on my SL7. Both set ups work great, but of course the Aldhu24 arms are porkier obviously.

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Upgraded Aldhu crank arms from alloy 170mm to carbon 165mm. Wanted to try shorter cranks for a while and found good deal on carbon version. Nice weight saving and great looks Image

170mm alloy version is 349g on my scale

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

So I currently have a Factor Ostro with DA9100 72.5mm cranks.

Anyone know if / how much of weight savings I'd get if I swapped the cranks to Rotor Aldhu?

I'm finding conflicting information about how much (if any) weight savings there might be (including from Rotor's support chat). If there is a weight savings I will get it. Hoping someone can shed some light.

My bike is currently at 7.4kg with a custom BRG paint job, so looking at a few ways of getting the weight down to the 6.8/6.9kg point.

Cueeently looking at swapping in Roval Alpinists, Darimo seatpost, and DA cassette (have ultegra not realizing how significant the weight difference is). And then possibly this depending on the savings.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Shimano Hollowtech are the best crankset system out there. I would keep the DA9100.

Lina

by Lina

DeLuz wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:15 am
Shimano Hollowtech are the best crankset system out there. I would keep the DA9100.
Shimano Hollowtech cranks still keep coming apart after multiple generations and they still can't make an accurate power meter after multiple generations. Those are merits that if any other manufacturer had them people would bury them for those. But not Shimano, they're the greatest thing ever. Who cares about flawed designs that they keep from generation to generation.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Conradsleight wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:30 am
So I currently have a Factor Ostro with DA9100 72.5mm cranks.

Anyone know if / how much of weight savings I'd get if I swapped the cranks to Rotor Aldhu?

I'm finding conflicting information about how much (if any) weight savings there might be (including from Rotor's support chat). If there is a weight savings I will get it. Hoping someone can shed some light.

My bike is currently at 7.4kg with a custom BRG paint job, so looking at a few ways of getting the weight down to the 6.8/6.9kg point.

Cueeently looking at swapping in Roval Alpinists, Darimo seatpost, and DA cassette (have ultegra not realizing how significant the weight difference is). And then possibly this depending on the savings.

Duraace r9100 50/34 172.5mm is 619g
Rotor aldhu carbon, standard axle, 50/34 directmount rings are 256+95+171== 522g

So the difference is whopping 97g.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't get why Rotor still have two options of axles.
43.5 and 46mm chainline.
Shimano uses 44.5 with 12 speed groupsets.
RED and Force eTap AXS™ 2x chainline is = 45mm, 1x = 44.7mm
11-speed 2x and 1x chainline = 45.5mm
Best would be if Rotor went to 45mm and skipped axle options.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:08 am
43.5 and 46mm chainline.
because gravel mate.

I recently had to order the offset/gravel version of the axle because of frame clearance issues. god damn it.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:08 am
43.5 and 46mm chainline.
because gravel mate.

I recently had to order the offset/gravel version of the axle because of frame clearance issues. god damn it.
I will tell you, i use 6870 Di2 on my gravel. It shifted like shit with Shimanos crank. The hack paint job was the thing it did best.
So i ordered Easton EC90 + Binghams spider. Wickwerks 44/34 and Sugino adapter for lowering the FD.
After that it shifted great. This spider offset the chainline to 47mm.
My road bike with Etap has been used with 3 cranksets in 50/36. The best is FSA K-Force Light.
With this you can shift all through the cassette in both chainrings (if you like).
No rub, zero!
No chain thrown off.
Not really keen on altering the chainline, but i am torn since i want to switch to a 167.5mm crankarm.
Only one i can imagine which could double for 11 and 12 speed would be Rotor.
FSA have a new fine crankset, expensive as hell. But they chainrings as bolt in *2 and that would prevent me from using 50/36.
But the chainring combos are available for both 11 and 12 speed groupsets.
Ideal would be the new FSA crankarms + a separate spider, but they will never release a spider for these crankarms according to FSA tech department :-(
So it seems i might be stuck to Rotor?
Eastons shortest EC90 are the 170mm version. Also no separate 5-arm spider.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com