Rotor Aldhu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yupp, it's clear to me it's about joking! However, not all it seems ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Jz91

by Jz91

Hi all,

Ultimately I've pulled the trigger and I'm looking to replace the current Shimano 24mm spindle crank with an Aldhu carbon 30mm.

Bike is a SL6 rim with OSBB BB30. Now, I might have seen a few options but would like your feedback:

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... 30mm-rotor

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/bb30-b ... 7631135958

Are the cups with the bearings external to the frame in both cases?

I would have also liked to continue using Ceramicspeed but they do not seem to offer a BB sleeve for BB30, or am I wrong?

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling ... ckets/bb30

Also, would I need to add any spacer?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Jz91 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am
Hi all,

Ultimately I've pulled the trigger and I'm looking to replace the current Shimano 24mm spindle crank with an Aldhu carbon 30mm.

Bike is a SL6 rim with OSBB BB30. Now, I might have seen a few options but would like your feedback:

I would have also liked to continue using Ceramicspeed but they do not seem to offer a BB sleeve for BB30, or am I wrong?

Thanks
There is no sleeve to install. The BB shell in Specialized "OSBB" is native BB30 - IIRC this includes SL6 and Venge. To be more specific: the inside of the OSBB shell has an alloy sleeve already build in, and glued in with epoxy. For this BB standard, you just press in the bearings into the shell (preceded by a retaining circlip), and then install the cranks.

Do not buy Ceramicpeed or anything else ceramic for this - it's honestly a waste of money, especially Ceramicspeed. Buy a pair of NTN or SKF low friction seal 6806 bearings. The cranks will spin like crazy and bearings will be easy to replace when worn.

I changed from the Specialized native BB30 setup to a BBInfinite BB30 to DUB botton bracket setup (having changed the cranks from Specialized to Sram Red), and there is really no discernible gain in it in terms of friction, and BBinfinite just added weight.

Jz91

by Jz91

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:50 am
Jz91 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am
Hi all,

Thanks
There is no sleeve to install. The BB shell in Specialized "OSBB" is native BB30 - IIRC this includes SL6 and Venge. To be more specific: the inside of the OSBB shell has an alloy sleeve already build in, and glued in with epoxy. For this BB standard, you just press in the bearings into the shell (preceded by a retaining circlip), and then install the cranks.

Do not buy Ceramicpeed or anything else ceramic for this - it's honestly a waste of money, especially Ceramicspeed. Buy a pair of NTN or SKF low friction seal 6806 bearings. The cranks will spin like crazy and bearings will be easy to replace when worn.

I changed from the Specialized native BB30 setup to a BBInfinite BB30 to DUB botton bracket setup (having changed the cranks from Specialized to Sram Red), and there is really no discernible gain in it in terms of friction, and BBinfinite just added weight.
Interesting, many thanks.
Reading from the bike's manual I thought the sleeve was an add-on and not already built in. As I am currently using the Ceramic speed bb30 for shimano with external cups I wasn't sure whether the bike still had the sleeve.

Will definitely take those low friction into account.
Essentially though it also comes down to whether it might be better to have the bearings pressed into the frame or outside like the c-bear and kogel if I understand correctly?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Jz91 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:34 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:50 am

Interesting, many thanks.
Reading from the bike's manual I thought the sleeve was an add-on and not already built in. As I am currently using the Ceramic speed bb30 for shimano with external cups I wasn't sure whether the bike still had the sleeve.

Will definitely take those low friction into account.
Essentially though it also comes down to whether it might be better to have the bearings pressed into the frame or outside like the c-bear and kogel if I understand correctly?
Have a look at BBinfinite website - they have a good guide to bottom brackets, including this one in particular.

I have not tried to install a Cbear or Ceramispeed BB into this frame, but I think in any event the bearings will be inside it - there is not enough space for the cranks to fit otherwise. So what you are getting with these BB sets is an extra alloy sleeve. Not really clear to me why you'd want one, because the one that Specialized has inside is perfectly good already. You might have better seals/water ingress protection, which might make the bearings last longer, but 1) this is not a given; 2) those ceramic bearings will still need replacement at some point and the replacement bearings will just be more expensive. This is not to diss on C-Bear or Ceramicspeed products - I think they are excellent, but expensive. It's just so say that for this particular BB design, I think they are unnecessary if you are using a 30mm spindle diameter cranks.

The other thing to take into account is Di2 wiring, if you that. A one-piece BB or a press-fit BB that fits inside this frame will close off the opening for accessing the wires. So if you have the misfortune of disconnecting a wire from the battery (like if you battery is inside the seatpost, and you remove the seatpost for travel), you'll have the PITA of removing the BB for access to reconnect the wires, rather than just removing the cranks.

txg

by txg

Is there an easy and cheap way to interface Shimano Chainrings with ALDHU24 Crankarms? I do have one crankset with a P2Max NGEco Powermeter which works perfectly fine in this configuration, but now i'd like to add the same to a second bike without buying a second powermeter.

Omiar

by Omiar

txg wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm
Is there an easy and cheap way to interface Shimano Chainrings with ALDHU24 Crankarms? I do have one crankset with a P2Max NGEco Powermeter which works perfectly fine in this configuration, but now i'd like to add the same to a second bike without buying a second powermeter.
Rotor makes 110x4 spiders.
https://rotorbike.com/cranksets.html?pr ... rder=price
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

txg

by txg

Omiar wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:01 pm
txg wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm
Rotor makes 110x4 spiders.
https://rotorbike.com/cranksets.html?pr ... rder=price
I know, but are you sure that these Spiders are compatible with Shimano chainrings? Can't find anything about compatibility and as far as i can tell they look like they have a different shape.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

They've told me they aren't compatible with Shimano chainrings sadly

jfranci3

by jfranci3

This doesn't make any sense.Their rings are compatible with Shimano
https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... compatible
Edit: It looks like the axle issue is the inset of the bolt holes. The support is not shaped for shimano - you'd need to file it down. https://r2-bike.com/media/image/product ... lack~2.jpg

They also make a GRX 110 spider that you can use for the outside at least. A GRX little ring shouldn't be too espensive.
Probably easier just to buy a Shimano crank.

spartacus

by spartacus

I just switched my bike to rotor aldhu with Qrings... it shifts perfectly with no adjustments besides derailleur height. Should I be worried? I thought it was going to be harder than this.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

spartacus wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:28 pm
I just switched my bike to rotor aldhu with Qrings... it shifts perfectly with no adjustments besides derailleur height. Should I be worried? I thought it was going to be harder than this.
I also changed over to Aldhu (from Ultegra), on two of my bikes (both Q-Ring). Absolutely no issues with shifting or power (Assioma Duos)
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

MrAppleSeeds

by MrAppleSeeds

Who here is running Rotor cranksets with SRAM AXS? How does the chainline difference affect the shifting?

For reference, SRAM AXS has a chainline of 45mm and Q Factor of 145mm.

Is it better to purchase the offset axle (46mm chainline/152mm Q Factor) since the chainline is .5mm closer to SRAM's or stick with the standard (43.5mm chainline/147mm Q Factor)?

Do you use spacers in between the bottom bracket and cranks to increase the chainline to 45mm or does the spindle length not allow that?

How is your setup like? I have a BB86 so I would have to get a 4130 so Im wondering what I need to do about the chainline difference.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MrAppleSeeds wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:13 pm
Who here is running Rotor cranksets with SRAM AXS? How does the chainline difference affect the shifting?

For reference, SRAM AXS has a chainline of 45mm and Q Factor of 145mm.

Is it better to purchase the offset axle (46mm chainline/152mm Q Factor) since the chainline is .5mm closer to SRAM's or stick with the standard (43.5mm chainline/147mm Q Factor)?

Do you use spacers in between the bottom bracket and cranks to increase the chainline to 45mm or does the spindle length not allow that?

How is your setup like? I have a BB86 so I would have to get a 4130 so Im wondering what I need to do about the chainline difference.
According to T*red which usually spec their bikes with Rotor + AXS, they use the standard version. I asked because i contemplated Rotor.
But in the end i went with the standard RED AXS crankset.
But you can always send Boris the question.
borishrusovsky@rotorbike.com
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MrAppleSeeds

by MrAppleSeeds

According to T*red which usually spec their bikes with Rotor + AXS, they use the standard version. I asked because i contemplated Rotor.
But in the end i went with the standard RED AXS crankset.
But you can always send Boris the question.
borishrusovsky@rotorbike.com
[/quote]

I went with the standard axle. Rotor support said that both the standard and offset axle will work but they've seen better shifting with the standard.

I also spoke with a few people who were running Rotor cranksets with AXS and they said the chainline did not cause an issue so all that is left is for me to see it myself.

I wanted the RED AXS Crankset too because I'm able to acquire a power meter version for almost half the price but SRAM cranksets with the exception of Rival are not able to meet my bike fit. I got the Rotor crank because of the length options they provide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com