Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

AM7Jeremy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:12 pm

I've seen Rotor cranks play well with Campagnolo. But everything looks like a downgrade from Super Record unless it's a THM crank :lol:
I've first bought an Easton EC90SL to replace my P2Max Campy since it rubbed the BB. Went so well that I've swapped all my Campy cranks with Easton ones.

On my Look 795rs with SR eps 12s I'm running Easton with Alugear aero chainrings, and I can clearly say that the combo looks way nicer than the original cranks (at lest for me... and all our personal opinions are just that! Very subjective).

The nicer looking cranks I've had though was the P2Max Campy that I had to sell. Very very good looking crankset!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

naavt wrote:
AM7Jeremy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:12 pm

I've seen Rotor cranks play well with Campagnolo. But everything looks like a downgrade from Super Record unless it's a THM crank :lol:
I've first bought an Easton EC90SL to replace my P2Max Campy since it rubbed the BB. Went so well that I've swapped all my Campy cranks with Easton ones.

On my Look 795rs with SR eps 12s I'm running Easton with Alugear aero chainrings, and I can clearly say that the combo looks way nicer than the original cranks (at lest for me... and all our personal opinions are just that! Very subjective).

The nicer looking cranks I've had though was the P2Max Campy that I had to sell. Very very good looking crankset!
Only problem is you’ll need to warranty them, unlike Campag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naavt

by naavt

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:06 pm

Sorry, can you elaborate? I'm not getting what you mean by "warranty them".

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

naavt wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

Easton EC90SL cranks aren’t that robustly made. Campag are. And I work for the competition!

naavt

by naavt

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am
naavt wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

Easton EC90SL cranks aren’t that robustly made. Campag are. And I work for the competition!

Ok. I understand what you mean and will give you the benefit of the doubt admiting the following about myself:

I'm a 50 yo dude that never competed on a bike. I'm around 4,2 W/kg and can make just a fraction above 1k Watts on a 5s sprint and I average around 4K climbing/week since I live in a very hilly area.

To date I can say that I never had any issue with Easton cranks (but I can somewhat be a lucky guy), and I'm running 3 of those.

I do admit that I never had any issues with Campy cranks either, but...

I'm a very big fan of Campy in a country that nobody uses it, I have 4 bike equiped with Campy stuff... and the wavy washer on Campy cranks are probably the most idiotic piece of garbage that I've seen on a crank.

But again... that's only my opinion.

1llum4

by 1llum4

Rogue Mechanic make a shim kit to get rid of the wave washer either in PTFE for press-fit bb or SS for BSA/italian bb

https://www.mavicparts.com/collections/ ... tra-torque

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

And what's wrong with a wave washer ?
It's there for good reason, you know.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

naavt wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:01 am

I'm a very big fan of Campy in a country that nobody uses it, I have 4 bike equiped with Campy stuff... and the wavy washer on Campy cranks are probably the most idiotic piece of garbage that I've seen on a crank.

But again... that's only my opinion.
In this case a slightly misguided one.

The wavy washer is the method that Campagnolo's bearing supplier in co-operation with the designer of UltraTorque, settled on, to correctly apply a known axial pre-load to the bearing (which is one reason why "Rogue Bike Mechanic", mentioned elsewhere in this thread, has it wrong).

Provided that the BB cups are within +/-0.8mm of the nominal distance apart, the wave washer will take up the space & preload in the correct range specified by the bearing manufacturer.

The BB bearing works best with a preload because of the cyclically assymetric nature of the load across the bearing - not an uncommon situation in many crank arrangements (not restriced to bicycle, obviously) and some form of preload is used in many such bearing assemblies in part to counter it - the issue being that in these situations, the ballbearings on the "unloaded" side of the bearing will, if the whole assembly is not subject to a pre-load, "skate" on the bearing surface because their clearance will open up as the clearance closes down on the "loaded" side. This increases wear and shortens the life of the bearing assembly as a whole.

There is a good summary document that explains the principle of "negative clearance" in clear layman's terms here:

https://cdn.skfmediahub.skf.com/api/pub ... medium.pdf

If you want to argue with SKF, go right ahead. They are part of Schaeffler Group, who licence the use of Cronitect, a bearing material that plays a key part of the bearings that Campagnolo use for UT bearings.

The use of pre-load has some secondary advantages in compressing the bearing to provide greater functional rigidity in the assembly and to maintain the centre on the BB axle, as well.

None of this is secret or any part of Campagnolo IP, by the way. You can find the references for yourself but it's kind of bearing technology 101 ...

Re Rogue Bike Mechanic - He hasn't properly understood the principles ... RBM is relying on (in bearing terms, approximately) "filling the gap" to eliminate end-float but that approach has two problems.

First is shim thickness. When you are dealing with bearing clearances of 0.012-0.028mm (min & max value for c3 clearance on a 25m shaft size), a shim width of even 0.13mm doesn't cut it. I believe that is his minimum shim width. At the small end of c3 tolerance, that's a whole order of magnitude too great, to tune the gap-filling accurately enough. Even if he now has a thinner shim at 0.05mm, he's still out by a factor of between 2 and 5 and in addition to that, by stacking washers, you are stacking tolerance errors. They might even out, it's true. Then again, you might not. you won't know.

Second is that if the bore is over-packed with washers in an attempt to create preload, it's a complete guess as to whether the width of the shim is creating the right negative clearance, or too much, or not enough - but it's relatively unlikely to be right ... or even in the right range.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

robertbb

by robertbb

Shots fired.

This'll be good.................... :lol:

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Just a different perspective on the wavy washer.

I have a travel bike (S&S couplers) with a Record 12s groupset. The crankset comes off during packing. To install it, I only need a 10mm Allen wrench. It's fast and no other adjustment is needed.

When I bought the bike used, it had Rotor cranks with a cracked preload ring.

1llum4

by 1llum4

In my case, I have used the rogue mechanic shim kit because I knew my BB setup was not within Campagnolo spec so the wave washer was not able to preload correctly.

Yes it meant that I had to try a lot of shim combination and it's most likely not perfect currently but still better than no preload at all.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

I'm currently working on trying Campag 2nd gen hydro calipers on my Shimano 12s bike. I'll make a separate thread on that specific topic when I have more miles in so I'll avoid answering questions in this thread about the Shimano + Campag combo but if you have questions send me a PM and I'll respond.

As part of that effort I took apart a Campag caliper specifically a used DB-EK140 which is the same as DB-R141 other than final branding.

I haven't seen internal photos posted so I thought I'd add them here:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Notably the bolts connecting the two sides are standard (M6x16mm) and do not have flow passthrough. However, the caliper bodies machined receptacle is narrower than some Ti replacement options will fit in and the stock head is around 10.5mm wide. The pad retaining bolt receptacle is also narrow and similar to Shimano so many replacement bolts work. However, the extremely light weight Magura MT8 FM pad retaining bolt head is too wide and does not fit. The hose attachment nut has standard threading used on competitors as well.

Campagnolo stock steel bolts without flow passthrough that attach the caliper halves from 3 calipers (2x bolts from each caliper 1x: DB-F161 & 2x: DB-EK140)
6.jpg
More info dump:

First gen Campag/Magura released with 11s and continued briefly with 12s: DB-F160 (front only 160), DB-R160 ("rear" 160), DB-R140 ("rear" 140). All first gen pistons are magnetic and can be used with magura or steel campag pads without a spring.

Second gen released with ekar: DB-EK140 ("rear" 140) adaptable to 160 and front use with adapters similarly to Shimano & SRAM. The new cheaper ekar uses these same calipers. All second gen pistons are not magnetic and require a pad spacing spring.

Second gen used on 12s: DB-F161 (front only 160), DB-R161 ("rear" 160), DB-R141 ("rear" 140). The DB-R141 is the same design as DB-EK140 with different logos. All second gen pistons are not magnetic and require a pad spacing spring.

Second gen used on wireless: Unknown part numbers but looks to be all three calipers listed directly above with new branding and glossy finish. Comes with new DB-410 pads. Bolts unkown.

Lastly with wireless Campag released new pads DB-410 with an aluminium body which is claimed to save around 30% weight and make other improvements vs DB-310 used in second gen with a spring and first gen magnetically.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

I received my set of DB-410. No riding impressions yet but here are some images and weights compared to a DB-310 pulled from a used caliper with unknown usage.
1.PNG
2.PNG

morrisond

by morrisond

Has anyone tried one of the new 10t cassettes with mechanical 12sp? How did it work out?

EvanT

by EvanT

I am dealing with an admittedly self-inflicted issue due to deferred maintenance on a Chorus 12 speed groupset.

While riding the other day, my rear derailleur cable snapped in the shifter body. When I got home and pulled it apart, I found that the cable end was completely jammed into the cable stop. The stop is a small plastic piece and is the outermost piece in the shifter assembly and attached with a small bolt. In checking the Campy parts catalog, there is no listing for this piece, rather the only thing is a full replacement shifter body. I understand not being able to fully rebuild the internals of a shifter, but it seems a little silly to need to replace the entire shifter body for this particular part.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to source this part so I can avoid replacing the entire shifter body? Below are some pictures showing the part.
IMG_8567.jpg
IMG_8561.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com