Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

For me it's the 11s/12s mechanical ergopower shape. I can slot my thumb joint into that grove where the shift lever swings inward when operated and then it's a a really nice narrow grip filling the space between thumb and index finger. All other levers spread those fingers much wider. Closest thing in the hydro and electronic age is the dura ace and ultegra i think, but not really close (neither electronic rim nor mechanical hydro ergos come close). And I'm close to 14 years campag myself. Accordingly, my desire to own a newish bike is surprisingly low. But I'm starting to grow tired of grinding through brake tracks on rims :/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Milwaukeekid wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:49 pm
Happy Sunday. I'm building up a new Factor frameset and making decisions on what electronic groupset to go with. I'm strictly looking at electronic options I've ridden a Serotta with full Campy Record 11-speed rim brake for the last 14-years and have always preferred Campy, so my heart says get the EPSv4 group.

Here's my dilema I'm hoping you can help with. My experience is always using full Campy groupsets. However, this time around, I'm looking at going with crankarm length that is 155 or 160. This eliminates using any of the Campy cranksets. Also, like may on this and other threads, I really would like to take advantage of more cassette options than the limited selection from Campy these days. So, what I'm sitting at is now effectively half of the groupset is something other than Campy. I've read a fair number of threads of people mixing and matching other parts where Campy has a gap in their options in order to make their Campy bike meet their needs. Understand the spirit of my post. I'm trying to convince myself to stick with Campy and would love to hear people's reasons for why you still chose Campy over anything else. Appreciate the feedback. Also, if there's a better thread, just let me know and I can move the post.
I'm not advising on what you should do, but here's what I know.
EPSv4 can handle up to a 34t cassette. WRL can go to 32t. Unlike mechanical 12s, EPS and WRL can adjust for the distance between the chainrings. Like all EPS(not WRL), you can adjust for spacing between cogs.

Milwaukeekid

by Milwaukeekid

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I think to maybe put a clarifying point on my question. I'm looking to understand why most people here have made their personal choice to use Campy SR 12-speed EPS over any other options. Particularly interested in people who use primarily the Campy EPS system and 'enhance' their build with a variety of other brands' components to meet their needs.

It sounds like so, far the unique ability to tune the shifting for each individual cog as well as ergonomics are two reasons. Love to hear any others.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

i feel SRAM might offer the best eco-system to offer the largest cassette and 160mm OEM crankset via Rival etap AXS

Shimano may also be able to build a frankeinstein using their DI2 systems for road and gravel

research for the pros and cons e.g. set-up, FD shifting, braking, weight, etc

I run 12spd campy mechanical so can't help on the electronic side - good luck.

diecast

by diecast

I don't have 12s EPS but I'm a long time Campagnolo user, starting right at the bottom with Xenon. As others have said, it's 2 main things: the shape of the shifters and the satisfying clunk. In an admittedly vague way I also appreciate the way it's still made in the EU. But mainly it's the ergonomics. Perhaps as much as anything, by now it's just familiarity.

Regardless of that, I've often swapped-in non-Campagnolo parts to suit*. I don't see why not if it lets me try whatever half baked idea I've come up with.

So perhaps you could consider a non-Campagnolo crank with your EPS groupset? Apologies if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that's kind of what you're suggesting.

Of course, sometimes things work well together and sometimes they don't. And I appreciate this will always be against the manufacturers guidance and warranty, so it's not an approach everyone will want to take. But a bit of care and attention when choosing and installing components goes a long way.

Some might argue against doing this on aesthetic principles, which I respect and perhaps you are of this mind, but ultimately that's a subjective opinion.

Conversely, it could just as well be argued that form follows function. A tool unique to its owner has its own aesthetic merit.

For example, a Rotor Aldhu Carbon crankarm comes in sizes as short as 155mm. The spindle will fit in pretty much every BB. You can use a spider based PM if you want. (There are other cranks out there of course.)

It sounds like you want lower gearing, although you didn't go into detail. Perhaps trying some smaller chainrings would suffice when coupled with the shorter cranks? I have zero evidence to back this up, but I'd be surprised if the front mech wasn't ok with a 46/34 combo... assuming your frame will let it be placed low enough. Somebody somewhere will have tried it. Paired with an 11-34 cassette that sounds like a pretty handy gear range to me. For paved roads at least.

Meanwhile, if you keep with Campagnolo for everything else you will maximise your chances of things playing together well.

Finally, I have to add (assuming disc frame) I would personally look into WRL and 3rd party cranks. This would get the wide range gearing, short crank arms as well as ensure the longest period of parts support/supply. If you're considering SRAM, then no thumb shifter isn't a deal breaker.

Just something to think about. Good luck with whatever you choose.

*Apologies to Graeme FK!!!

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I got my hands on a very nice Campagnolo Record 12 speed groupset and I need some cables to go with it. Will the CG-ER600 set work with 12 speed stuff? It seems like every site says something different.

usr

by usr

The Maximum Smoothness is an entirely different beast. But it's impossible to quantify the impact of cables on shifting. You will certainly get your gears to change *somehow*, and you will keep guessing where or not it would be better with TMS.

I'd probably go with that ultra shift set and keep jagwire elite ultraslick or what they are called at the ready for when i decide it's not good enough (the ones with the black knob)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

HI,

Sjoerd wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:29 am
I got my hands on a very nice Campagnolo Record 12 speed groupset and I need some cables to go with it. Will the CG-ER600 set work with 12 speed stuff? It seems like every site says something different.
"Work" yes but TMS is in a totally different league.
I use the TMS liners and the 10s/11s cables. Works well enough for me. The TMS cables fray all too easily. I'd only recommend them as a gear shifter cable. The front derailleur doesn't require that degree of smoothness IMHO.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

usr

by usr

fdegrove wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:41 pm
The front derailleur doesn't require that degree of smoothness IMHO.
Nice cost efficiency optimisation! Worst thing you might see would be a tiny decrease in your ability to get by without using the trimming capability.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Thanks for the responses everyone. I thought TMS are a set of shifter cables only? If I were to buy them, I will still need cables for braking right? And those come in the CG-ER600 set? And I could also only buy the CG-ER600 set and set up my whole 12 speed group with them, as in: they are technically compatible with 12 speed?

Sorry for the barage of questions!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Sjoerd wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:14 pm
Thanks for the responses everyone. I thought TMS are a set of shifter cables only? If I were to buy them, I will still need cables for braking right? And those come in the CG-ER600 set? And I could also only buy the CG-ER600 set and set up my whole 12 speed group with them, as in: they are technically compatible with 12 speed?

Brake cables did not change. Derailleur casings did not change even though the casing says max smoothness. You can use the 600 series derailleur cables on 12s, but it will not work as well as it should.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@Sjoerd :

You do not need to buy the CG-ER600 cable set. The shifter cables (and brake cables) are being sold separately.
The ones for the rear dereilleur will be 2m long, the one for the front derailleur 1.60m if I remember correctly.
Most shops that sell Campa will offer these.
Sjoerd wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:14 pm

Cheers, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I'll look into it, thanks for the explanation.

mathemagician

by mathemagician

Sooooo...what are people doing with regard to quick links on their chains? I know the C links are single use, but I ain't spending £15 every time I need to wax my chain.

I use a Connex on my 11 speed chain but I'm not sure what the thickness is on the 12 speed version. Apologies if this has been discussed at length in the thread somewhere but it's 4000-odd posts long now!

ps. no one tell Graeme I asked this question, I don't want to be told off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I've been using quicklinks made by KMC from 10S to 12S. Never had any problem.
Not sure what exactly is meant by "single use" but I'm pretty sure you're not meant to change the link every time you relube a chain.
15 quid a link? Really ?

Cheers, ;)