Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shmitt

by Shmitt

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:55 am
Shmitt wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:18 pm

In my case, all the waxes in the bottle do not work because the entire drive system becomes very noisy after a few or a dozen kilometers. (I reserve that the chain has been cleaned properly). the only advantage is that the chain is clean, but I could just as easily not lubricate it and the effect would be the same.
I've been happily using Smoove for 5 years now. You have to figure out a way to immersively apply a drip on wax. Silca has their cross chain technique.

I made up a sous-vide type technique. After my final alcohol rinse I shake out the chain and let it dry. I apply a drop of Smoove to each roller and then put the chain in a plastic zip lock, remove as much air as possible, and then seal it. After that, dip the bag in warm water to get the wax lube to flow. I'll leave a chain like this in the bag for several days and articulate the links several times a day if I remember. This seems to result in an excellent installation of drip on wax.

I'm sorry, but if I have to bother with waxing the chain, I'll stick to oil, lubricate it, wipe it off and it's ready :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Shmitt wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:20 am
I'm sorry, but if I have to bother with waxing the chain, I'll stick to oil, lubricate it, wipe it off and it's ready :)
For me, the main benefit of wax is drivetrain wear and longevity. Chains used to last me 3k miles / 6 months. I changed my last chain after 2 years and it wasn't even stretched per my chain checker tool. I also used to buy a new cassette after about 3-4 chains of usage.

With cassettes costing $200+ and chains $50, I'd rather go with the low wear solution. Since going with wax, I've been using the same cassette for 5 years now with no sign of a wear issue.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

The main ingredient for a long lasting chain is cleaning it - last year my chain was running 6000km without being stretched above 0,5%. I use the ChainPig from time to time and the chain looks like new afterwards.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Plus not having to buy degreaser as wax comes off with hot water...lots of savings.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

By the way, this almost theological discussion about chain lubrication is strange to me. some waxes, oils, wax heaters, degreasers, rituals to keep the chain as clean as possible, last as long as possible, etc., etc.
There are probably cyclists here whose equipment costs a lot, from several thousand euros and up - what's the problem with buying a cassette and a chain every now and then, replacing it and the problem be solved? No magic on chain lubrication :)

usr

by usr

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:42 pm
Shmitt wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:20 am
For me, the main benefit of wax is drivetrain wear and longevity. Chains used to last me 3k miles / 6 months. I changed my last chain after 2 years and it wasn't even stretched per my chain checker tool. I also used to buy a new cassette after about 3-4 chains of usage.

With cassettes costing $200+ and chains $50, I'd rather go with the low wear solution. Since going with wax, I've been using the same cassette for 5 years now with no sign of a wear issue.
Just make sure you have a replacement cassette at hand when you do replace the chain: I get the impression that cassette life isn't extended even remotely as much as chain life, if extended at all. For all I know it's even possible that cassette wear is increased, not sure I ever had cassette under wax outlive its second chain, I think some even threw the towel on the first chain replacement.

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

Im bringing a topic up which i already placed in the specialized thread. Im looking for a direct mount rear derailleur for the tarmac sl8 frameset, which is suitable for campagnolo.

I already bought the wrong item from Silca. Usually manufacteurs divide their options between Shimano and Sram. How can I find a suitable Campagnolo direct mount rear derailleur?

The SR rear derailleur provides the option to be mounted without link. Or would you not recommend such experiment?

AJS914

by AJS914

usr wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:07 pm
Just make sure you have a replacement cassette at hand when you do replace the chain: I get the impression that cassette life isn't extended even remotely as much as chain life, if extended at all. For all I know it's even possible that cassette wear is increased, not sure I ever had cassette under wax outlive its second chain, I think some even threw the towel on the first chain replacement.
I'm not seeing that with a Chorus cassette and chain. I'm well into my second chain now on this cassette.

dgdracing wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:14 pm
The main ingredient for a long lasting chain is cleaning it - last year my chain was running 6000km without being stretched above 0,5%. I use the ChainPig from time to time and the chain looks like new afterwards.
The data (Zero Friction) shows that wax is superior for wear even if you regularly clean an oiled chain. With an oiled chain, grit gets inside the rollers and never comes out.

I did 20,000 km on my last chain without any wear showing on a chain checker using wax. To each his own. I understand that wax is a little bit of a pain. I feel like I've found a good middle ground with Smoove and a penetrating application. The most time consuming part is cleaning the chain so that it's squeeqy clean.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:45 pm
Im bringing a topic up which i already placed in the specialized thread. Im looking for a direct mount rear derailleur for the tarmac sl8 frameset, which is suitable for campagnolo.

I already bought the wrong item from Silca. Usually manufacteurs divide their options between Shimano and Sram. How can I find a suitable Campagnolo direct mount rear derailleur?

The SR rear derailleur provides the option to be mounted without link. Or would you not recommend such experiment?
Very old thread now so you'll have the answer but - for posterity's sake - remove the link, use the other B-Screw provided in the box and "voila", you have the DM version.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

I had to buy an additional kit to use as direct mount but never converted it....maybe one day...

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

graeme_f_k wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:25 pm
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:45 pm

Very old thread now so you'll have the answer but - for posterity's sake - remove the link, use the other B-Screw provided in the box and "voila", you have the DM version.
Sorry I intended the form of the hanger (direct mount) which makes obsolete the shadow link. I cant find a suitable replacment part (e.g. Sigeyi).
Attachments
IMG_0822.jpeg

octav

by octav

I have an issue with my Record 12 Derailleur. This small part that keeps the bscrew in place seems to be broken. It shifts but I need to keep the B-Screw threaded in completely. It seems that somehow the spring or something is broken there. On the other bike I have a SR12 derailleur and that small part stays fixed and the bscrew is threaded like 40-50% for a 34 sprocket.
Is there any part number to fix this? I have checked the manuals but it doesn't seem to :(

Second question:
I just bough from a friend a 52-36 12 speed Record crankset. Would there be an alternative for chainrings or Campy Only ?
Attachments
record 12.png

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@Octav: I think that screw is part of a set of screws with reference RD-SR105.

Cheers,:)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

octav

by octav

It's not just the screw, it's the small part that the screw goes in. I assume it has a spring, and the spring probably it's broken. I will try to make a short video as I am afraid to try to remove it and remove the parts until I have a spare derailleur or part to replace :)

PS: I managed to take a pic , highlighted the part in orange.
Attachments
record 12.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was just looking at my SR 12sp RD and it appears what you are seeing is a like a seam but it is actually a step and there is no spring in that pivot.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake