Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

EvanT wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to source this part so I can avoid replacing the entire shifter body?
Contrary to Shimano and SRAM, Campy is known for selling every bit of their groupsets separately. If you can't source it in a LBS near you try contacting them directly. They will solve your issue for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

EvanT wrote:
I am dealing with an admittedly self-inflicted issue due to deferred maintenance on a Chorus 12 speed groupset.

While riding the other day, my rear derailleur cable snapped in the shifter body. When I got home and pulled it apart, I found that the cable end was completely jammed into the cable stop. The stop is a small plastic piece and is the outermost piece in the shifter assembly and attached with a small bolt. In checking the Campy parts catalog, there is no listing for this piece, rather the only thing is a full replacement shifter body. I understand not being able to fully rebuild the internals of a shifter, but it seems a little silly to need to replace the entire shifter body for this particular part.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to source this part so I can avoid replacing the entire shifter body? Below are some pictures showing the part.

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
I would not say this is common, but I have seen this online before. Can you say why you can't get the old cable out? Or, can someone who had had this happen say how the extracted the cable end from the shifter?
Otherwise, I would suggest contacting your local Campy service center about the part, and I would ask them if they have any insight as to why this happened to you.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:19 am
EvanT wrote:
I am dealing with an admittedly self-inflicted issue due to deferred maintenance on a Chorus 12 speed groupset.

While riding the other day, my rear derailleur cable snapped in the shifter body. When I got home and pulled it apart, I found that the cable end was completely jammed into the cable stop. The stop is a small plastic piece and is the outermost piece in the shifter assembly and attached with a small bolt. In checking the Campy parts catalog, there is no listing for this piece, rather the only thing is a full replacement shifter body. I understand not being able to fully rebuild the internals of a shifter, but it seems a little silly to need to replace the entire shifter body for this particular part.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to source this part so I can avoid replacing the entire shifter body? Below are some pictures showing the part.

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
I would not say this is common, but I have seen this online before. Can you say why you can't get the old cable out? Or, can someone who had had this happen say how the extracted the cable end from the shifter?
Otherwise, I would suggest contacting your local Campy service center about the part, and I would ask them if they have any insight as to why this happened to you.
What country are you based in?
Usually the old cable can be extracted. Occasionally the cable bushing needs to be replaced. Officially these are no longer supplied as a spare part (that ended with 1st gen 11s) but like most of the SCs, we have "acquired" a few that we can supply for cases like this.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

EvanT

by EvanT

graeme_f_k wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:36 am
joeyb1000 wrote:
EvanT wrote:

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
Usually the old cable can be extracted. Occasionally the cable bushing needs to be replaced. Officially these are no longer supplied as a spare part (that ended with 1st gen 11s) but like most of the SCs, we have "acquired" a few that we can supply for cases like this.
I am located in the US. I reached out to Campy support and they directed me to a couple of local shops who have both said that the shifter body would need to be replaced since that was not an available spare part.

Given where and how the cable broke, it jammed the cable end and the cable unwound further complicating the removal. In my attempts to extract the cable, I ended up snapping part of the bushing, so while the cable is now out, the piece is broken and unusable.

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

EvanT wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 pm
graeme_f_k wrote:
joeyb1000 wrote:
EvanT wrote:

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
I am located in the US. I reached out to Campy support and they directed me to a couple of local shops who have both said that the shifter body would need to be replaced since that was not an available spare part.

Given where and how the cable broke, it jammed the cable end and the cable unwound further complicating the removal. In my attempts to extract the cable, I ended up snapping part of the bushing, so while the cable is now out, the piece is broken and unusable.
Hmmm. OK. I'll look, see if we have a bushing and then get it out to you, if we do.
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

EvanT

by EvanT

graeme_f_k wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:53 pm
EvanT wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 pm
graeme_f_k wrote:
joeyb1000 wrote:

Hmmm. OK. I'll look, see if we have a bushing and then get it out to you, if we do.
If you have one available, that would be great. I would really appreciate that.

wilwil

by wilwil

joeyb1000 wrote:
EvanT wrote:

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
Its happened to me twice with super record 12 speed. It starts fraying and the shifting goes to pot. I managed to get the bits out. I wish I knew what caused it.

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

wilwil wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:42 pm
joeyb1000 wrote:
EvanT wrote:

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8561.jpg
Its happened to me twice with super record 12 speed. It starts fraying and the shifting goes to pot. I managed to get the bits out. I wish I knew what caused it.
It can be the cable itself - were you using the Maximum Smoothness inner? UltraShift inners and some third party cables aren't supple enough.

We also sometimes see, on all the UltraShift levers, a situation where the lever body shifts on the bars but the outer cable stays taped had into the curve of the bar, opening a small gap between the end of the outer cable and the small bronze washer in the bottom of the cable port where the outer terminates. This can (rarely, but I've seen it more than once) result in the inner cable rubbing the bronze washer and eventually fraying through.

I have also seen badly-cut outer cable ends do the same, at the same point - I advise cutting, then touching the cut end on a bench-grider to get a square end that won't cause an issue.

ncornelisse

by ncornelisse

With Chorus and Record 12 speed I can use Shimano style carbon pads for rim brake?
Normal pads for Campagnolo 11 speed don't fit.

Leon

by Leon

I was disappointed this weekend.... Changed my chain after 3500km on my Record group. The first chain was worn out according to the specs. And in the first ride the chain skipped on the 17 and 16 cog..... After 3500km! Only in dry weather, no dirt.

So I started looking for a replacement 17 (which is part of more cogs on 1 spider) and a 16. Nowhere to be found in the EU... :roll: And for what I see available in the US the price is sky high....
So, if anyone has a tip on SR cogs to be bought separate (and for a decent price, please tell me. Thanks!

So I ordered a Chorus cassette of which I will use the cogs that I need
Ride bikes, not tanks!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Those sprocket clusters won’t be stocked by any shop in the hope that someone will buy them. They’ll be a special order item from a service centre or pro shop. If memory serves me right they’ll cost almost as much as a full chorus cassette or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbaar

by barbaar

Leon wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:37 am
I was disappointed this weekend.... Changed my chain after 3500km on my Record group. The first chain was worn out according to the specs. And in the first ride the chain skipped on the 17 and 16 cog..... After 3500km! Only in dry weather, no dirt.

So I started looking for a replacement 17 (which is part of more cogs on 1 spider) and a 16. Nowhere to be found in the EU... :roll: And for what I see available in the US the price is sky high....
So, if anyone has a tip on SR cogs to be bought separate (and for a decent price, please tell me. Thanks!

So I ordered a Chorus cassette of which I will use the cogs that I need
https://all4bikes.be/shop/nl/campagnolo ... _1135.html
https://www.cyclingweb.nl/tandw-race/
https://www.derks-wielersport.nl/tandkr ... Campagnolo
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a replacement bleed port screw for a Campy 12s hydro caliper. Mine has rounded off.

I don't need the entire bleed port EC-DB014 (which is also out of stock in the UK).
Attachments
1000024205.jpg

AJS914

by AJS914

Leon wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:37 am

What lube are you using? I used to use Rock N Roll gold and had to change my chain every six months (2500 - 3000 miles). I've since switched Smoove wax and my last chain showed no measureable stretch after 2 years and 10,000 miles. I changed it just because I was worried and had never had a chain last that long. I thought I wasn't measuring correctly.

No, immersion* wax just makes the drivetrain last an insanely long time especially if you just ride on dry roads.

*I apply Smoove similar to immersion waxes so I get really good roller penetration.
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:11 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a replacement bleed port screw for a Campy 12s hydro caliper. Mine has rounded off.

I don't need the entire bleed port EC-DB014 (which is also out of stock in the UK).
Only EC-DB014 I am afraid. And yes, they round off too easily.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s