Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

There's a post dating back to the introduction of SRAM 12, where Campy and SRAM cassettes were measured to be no more that 0.5mm difference over their full length. I used a SRAM cassette on a Campy bike a few years ago and it worked just fine. I rode my AXS bike with a Campy cassette on only one 50 mile ride. I didn't spend enough time micro-adjusting, but the shifting wasn't bad. I've been on all AXS, except for cranks, for the last 2-1/2 years. No complaints.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boarder1995

by boarder1995

I just put my CK hub'd wheel with Ultegra 11-34 12spd cassette into my Campy Record 12 mechanical disc bike frame - seemed to shift just fine. No issues. Through all gears, including extreme top and bottom cogs.

I'm now waiting on a Campy Chorus 12 disc build kit for swapping onto my Moots Routt 45. Pulling off Ultegra 11 and going to Campy 12 with Chris King shimano spline hub'd wheels with the Ultegra 12 11-34 cassette.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

For those without braze on tabs, what do you use to mount the Campagnolog Super Record 12 speed front deraileurs?

satanas

by satanas

FWIW, Ratio also told me that Shimano 12 speed cassettes weren't recommended with their system due to differences in spacing. The reality seems to be that one can mix cassettes between systems and depending on what chain is used, hanger alignment, quality of setup, chainline, etc, it might work "well enough," but that's going to depend on how fussy you are; some people are happy if shifts barely happen, others not so much.

Disclaimer: I haven't been able to measure all the relevant cassettes myself, so am going off what I've heard or read - YMMV.

robertbb

by robertbb

boarder1995 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 pm
I just put my CK hub'd wheel with Ultegra 11-34 12spd cassette into my Campy Record 12 mechanical disc bike frame - seemed to shift just fine. No issues. Through all gears, including extreme top and bottom cogs.

I'm now waiting on a Campy Chorus 12 disc build kit for swapping onto my Moots Routt 45. Pulling off Ultegra 11 and going to Campy 12 with Chris King shimano spline hub'd wheels with the Ultegra 12 11-34 cassette.
What chain were you using? The Ultegra 11-34 is HG+ so (theoretically) should not work with chains that aren't Shimano. Also be aware there are numerous reports of "ticking" in the third largest cog on the Ulregra 11-34 cassette.

I would have thought the 105 level 11-34 which is old-school HG might be a better choice.

boarder1995

by boarder1995

robertbb wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:13 am
boarder1995 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 pm

What chain were you using? The Ultegra 11-34 is HG+ so (theoretically) should not work with chains that aren't Shimano. Also be aware there are numerous reports of "ticking" in the third largest cog on the Ulregra 11-34 cassette.

I would have thought the 105 level 11-34 which is old-school HG might be a better choice.
Good to know on the 105 vs. Ultegra. I may pick up a 105 cassette to compare with too. I'm using a Record 12 chain.

Roel W

by Roel W

Anymore news or rumours about new groupsets?
It has been a while Campagnolo has released something new.

I'm considering a new steel build and I prefer a mechanical affordable disc groupset.
The choices for affordable mechanical disc groupsets is very limited today. The availability is even more limited.
Shimano still offers 105 R7000 and Ultegra R8000. There are rumours about a mechanical 12-speed 105 R7100 groupset being released in the next couple of months.
Campagnolo still has mechanical groupsets but far more expensive. Potenza was a considerable choice but has been discontinued for a while.

The industry is more and more moving to complete builds with carbon frames, (too much) integration, housebrand parts (wheels, stems,...) disc brakes and electronical shifting (and very high prices).

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I'd still say Chorus is your best bet here. It's widely discounted and very, very good. I've got a few grumbles about Campag customer service, but not many about the products themselves.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Roel W wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 am
Anymore news or rumours about new groupsets?
It has been a while Campagnolo has released something new.

I'm considering a new steel build and I prefer a mechanical affordable disc groupset.
The choices for affordable mechanical disc groupsets is very limited today. The availability is even more limited.
Shimano still offers 105 R7000 and Ultegra R8000. There are rumours about a mechanical 12-speed 105 R7100 groupset being released in the next couple of months.
Campagnolo still has mechanical groupsets but far more expensive. Potenza was a considerable choice but has been discontinued for a while.

The industry is more and more moving to complete builds with carbon frames, (too much) integration, housebrand parts (wheels, stems,...) disc brakes and electronical shifting (and very high prices).
There will be a new group this year. It won't be neither affordable nor mechanical so you can safely grab 12s Chorus right now.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

AlexWCS

by AlexWCS

sevencyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 pm
For those without braze on tabs, what do you use to mount the Campagnolog Super Record 12 speed front deraileurs?
I fitted one of those front derailleurs onto a Reilly Gradient Ti frame a few weeks ago for a customer. He had part built the bike and installed the derailleur using an FSA 'Tandem' branded braze on clamp adapter. This adapter was not suitable becasue even with the low limit screw fully out, the inner plate of the derailler rubbed the chain when in any of the 3 largest gears on the casseter.

When I compared the FSA adapter to the 4-5 others I had in my toolbox, I could see it mounted the derailler at least 4-5mm further away from the frame (the seat tube).
Trying an adaptor that positioned the derailler closer to the seat tube solved the issue and I was able to perfectly adjust the inner plate to achieve no chain rubbing with the low limit screw.

Not saying that FSA adaptor won't work on your frame but I'd suggest getting one that doesnt push the derailleur out to far from the seat tube.

For reference, this bike had a Super Record 12speed front Mech, Chorus 12 sp chainset and Ultra torque BB cups.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:06 pm
neither affordable nor mechanical
Don't know why that made me chuckle, but it did.

I have a sneaky feeling that Chorus 12 is going to be a bit of a classic, and a rare example of a groupset becoming in greater demand as it ages.

I'm getting sufficiently p*ssed off with UDi2 that I'm seriously contemplating installing it on my Cervelo. That or mechanical DA, anyway, but that still seems to command silly prices.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:26 pm
I have a sneaky feeling that Chorus 12 is going to be a bit of a classic, and a rare example of a groupset becoming in greater demand as it ages.
Agreed. It is really an awesome group - I have bikes with Ekar and Record 12, but when found a great deal for 2nd hand barely used 12s Chorus I bought it without hesitation. Great looks, and the same quality as R and SR in a more affordable package.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

AlexWCS wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:30 pm
sevencyclist wrote:
I fitted one of those front derailleurs onto a Reilly Gradient Ti frame a few weeks ago for a customer. He had part built the bike and installed the derailleur using an FSA 'Tandem' branded braze on clamp adapter. This adapter was not suitable becasue even with the low limit screw fully out, the inner plate of the derailler rubbed the chain when in any of the 3 largest gears on the casseter.

When I compared the FSA adapter to the 4-5 others I had in my toolbox, I could see it mounted the derailler at least 4-5mm further away from the frame (the seat tube).
Trying an adaptor that positioned the derailler closer to the seat tube solved the issue and I was able to perfectly adjust the inner plate to achieve no chain rubbing with the low limit screw.

Not saying that FSA adaptor won't work on your frame but I'd suggest getting one that doesnt push the derailleur out to far from the seat tube.

For reference, this bike had a Super Record 12speed front Mech, Chorus 12 sp chainset and Ultra torque BB cups.
Thank you AlexWCS!

micky

by micky

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:06 pm
There will be a new group this year. It won't be neither affordable nor mechanical so you can safely grab 12s Chorus right now.
Ekar EPS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

sevencyclist wrote:
Campag make a band in two different sizes. That's what I used for Chorus FD works fine. Tubes have to be round tho.