Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smokva

by smokva

I just hope sensor will not be in the shape of b(u)tt plug :shock: :shock: :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

V3Rs

by V3Rs

ohh jeez....

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I don't know about the future of shifting, but an ebike would certainly get me to my goals sooner than auto shifting.

robertbb

by robertbb

V3Rs wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:17 pm
So here is the future of this:
Watt meter/cadence talks to EPS brain- User sets maximum watts for allowing front derailleur shifts- if the wattage is exceeded, there will be no automatic FD shifts.
One also sets the minimum wattts for front shifting in case of coasting. User also sets combos where the system should not land: small/small and big/big. Not exactly sure how cadence can be worked into the logic but certainly one could set a cadence max and min which also could initiate shifts.

Because we already have cadence and wattge being manged, the unification of them to electronic shifting is only a matter of time...

System can be shifted manually at any moment and can be turned on and off with some simple button or whatever????
This is why Keirin racing in Japan is so cool. Everyone is on effectively the same bike - the bike is not a point of competitive advantage nor is it artificially improving the athelete's performance....

With all the UCI's BS, I'd love it if a breakaway formed and we saw more races ridden on "standardized" equipment.

(Yes, yes, I understand that grand tours and icon races have always been about marketing. But hey a guy can dream).

satanas

by satanas

smokva wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:29 pm
I just hope sensor will not be in the shape of b(u)tt plug :shock: :shock: :shock:
^ If there was two way communication with the EPS computer things could be very interesting! :beerchug:

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Explain how Keirin racing relates to EPS 12?- you lost me...
But all pros ride on equally similar equipment, don't they? +/-

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not to go off track too much, but I would say the bike components are not the biggest improvement. It's the data that allows you to make better decisions. If you got rid of race radios, power meters, HR, and their bike computers, it certainly would change things up a bit.

I'm not suggesting they do, but it certainly would change things more than the groupset, mechanical or electric.

Lina

by Lina

Getting rid of power meters, HR, or the computers wouldn't make a massive difference. Getting rid of radios would make a bigger difference. The guys and girls riding professionally can ride to feel pretty damn well. And in a race having your power numbers visible can more often be a detriment than a benefit. Especially in one day races you either stay with the group or you don't, your power meter reading doesn't matter.

I don't have power visible on my main screen during races. Almost all of my power PRs are from races where I'm going all out. The only thing seeing a power number would do is make me doubt myself when I can see I'm doing more than I've ever done. The places where power reading can be useful in races is when you're out front TTing to the finish line or in a TT. And even then it can be better to just turn it off for the end of the race.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I found the automatic shifting to be of little use and turned it off.
Keiren racing is not a good example. That thought stifles development and would have us all riding nuovo record goupsets.
I agree that pros should get rid of radios or make them open to sportscasters. That way viewers would know what's going on.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have heard when people attack, the smart people just watch the watts they know they can do and reel them in slowly. I believe Chris F was into that a lot.

I can't say for certain but it would not surprise me at all if all the electronics were removed from the race, the riders would not know what to do. Some would do better, but I bet most would not. Just my thoughts.

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Disagree...
The world hour record was set with no electronics whatsoever...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

V3Rs wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:11 am
Disagree...
The world hour record was set with no electronics whatsoever...
Just someone with a clipboard giving effective up/down signals every 16 seconds.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The world record is not a race with others. I think we all have done things that we knew we could not do when we are chasing someone.

When I train, I look at numbers. When I want to set a PR, I look at numbers. When the team attacks a hill, I do not. When the dust settles, I look at the numbers and think....Did I just do that?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

If can show mileage per gear on cassette, can figure out most used gears, buy individual to replace instead of a whole block and offset EPS price?

Plus can help figure out front chain ring..50/34 52/36 etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

V3Rs

by V3Rs

In a 12 EPS set up, when setting the chain length, I have found that I am either a little tight or a little loose- which one do you choose?
Last edited by V3Rs on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.