New cannondale SYSTEMSIX road frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tmanley

by tmanley

Dick wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:14 pm
I'd even say there's potentially the clearance for 30mm tyres - will be trying soon.
Can't wait to learn what you discover.

-Thanks, Todd

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Does anyone here have both an SSE and SystemSix? Do you ride the same size? My SSE is a 56, fit is good with one spacer (and top cap, so 17mm of spacers total), but could go a lil lower without any trouble. Looking at the geo, I could go 56 or 58 on the S6. To keep the same fit, I'd need an extra spacer on the 56 S6, or just get used to being lower, but would be pretty close with it slammed on the 58.

bet1216

by bet1216

I had both and had them in the same size. The reach is longer on the S6 than the SSE which adds to the long and low position. The handling is different also. Both bikes are great just different. I would tell you the SSE has a more compliant ride (it did by a wide margin in my case) but the problem is I had completely different wheelsets on the bikes which made comparisons to the frames impossible. The KNOT SytemBar on the S6 is stiffer than the SAVE SystemBar on the SSE.

Geraint

by Geraint

tmanley wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Dick wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:14 pm
I'd even say there's potentially the clearance for 30mm tyres - will be trying soon.
Can't wait to learn what you discover.

-Thanks, Todd
I've test fitted an OG Schwalbe Pro One on a HED Belgium + (labelled 28c, actual width 31.5mm) and it fits with rideable clearance.
Attachments
9BA33856-7ED5-41D6-9E82-932E6FA53B6C.jpeg

Dick

by Dick

Lovely - I've still not got round to switching tyres over.

I'm also getting frustrated with weight already - admittedly I've put on a bit of timber since a peak in summer, but I've decided it's time to go a bit more weenie at this.

Just ordered a FarSport F1 stem/bar combo which should shed a hell of a lot of cockpit weight (those Hollowgram stems are like bricks!)
I just hope that there's not much re-cabling required and that position remains roughly the same.

If I can get this bike down to sub 7.5kg I think I'll be happy, because honestly it does ride extremely well and is so strangely comfy for such a "stiff" bike. I just can't get over how heavy it is....

Dick

by Dick

Also - just read my previous post when I first finished the bike - not sure if my scales were just playing with me or they are now, but I'm getting 8.0kg currently and I don't see how I've added 600g just in bar tape, bottle cage and out front mount!
Time to buy some new scales aswell I think 😂

rides4beer

by rides4beer

bet1216 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:57 pm
I had both and had them in the same size. The reach is longer on the S6 than the SSE which adds to the long and low position. The handling is different also. Both bikes are great just different. I would tell you the SSE has a more compliant ride (it did by a wide margin in my case) but the problem is I had completely different wheelsets on the bikes which made comparisons to the frames impossible. The KNOT SytemBar on the S6 is stiffer than the SAVE SystemBar on the SSE.
Different wheelsets/tires can definitely affect the ride. I moved to the flatlands, and it's all about speed here, and I've always wanted a full aero bike anyway lol My SSE is quick for an all around bike, but I think for the kind of riding I'm doing now, the S6 will really shine.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Dick wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:53 am
Just ordered a FarSport F1 stem/bar combo which should shed a hell of a lot of cockpit weight (those Hollowgram stems are like bricks!)
I just hope that there's not much re-cabling required and that position remains roughly the same.
The Bonti RSL VR-C integrated bar essentially allows you to route cables external to the bar, but hides them like they're integrated and exit at the same place as the stock bar system. At 285g, it's also quite a bit lighter than the F1. I think it's the best bar for Specialized, Cannondale, and Trek bikes that use an external cable entry at the front of the headset bearing.

Dick

by Dick

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:11 am
Dick wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:53 am
The Bonti RSL VR-C integrated bar essentially allows you to route cables external to the bar, but hides them like they're integrated and exit at the same place as the stock bar system. At 285g, it's also quite a bit lighter than the F1. I think it's the best bar for Specialized, Cannondale, and Trek bikes that use an external cable entry at the front of the headset bearing.
I just have this thing about "Bontrager" as a brand..... their branding and whole XXX thing just really puts me off. Pure superficial and aesthetic snobbery but I've made my bed with the farsports bar/stem and will now lay in it (when they arrive).

Also - if their testing it to be believed, then their combo has one of if not the highest stiffness to weight ratio going, other than I seem to remember schmolke and PRO.

Whatever the weather the combination of its looks, huge reduction in weight over the Hollowgram combo, it's reach and drop measurement and the fact that there's a specific adapter for S6 made it the winner for me, if for a slight weight penalty over the Bontrager combo.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Dick wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:34 am
I just have this thing about "Bontrager" as a brand..... their branding and whole XXX thing just really puts me off. Pure superficial and aesthetic snobbery but I've made my bed with the farsports bar/stem and will now lay in it (when they arrive).
This bar has no branding whatsoever (unlike the F1). No XXX's or Bontrager label anywhere on it. And unlike the XXX bar this one has been reported to be very stiff too. I've read a few people say the F1 isn't that stiff.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Does anybody know the headset dimensions for the SystemSix headset?
Forgot to note it before i assembled the bike again

robbosmans

by robbosmans

That’s a unique build, what’s the weight ?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Never weighed the complete bike. But the frameset is 172gr lighter now. Original paint was the olive/neon yellow colorway.

Dick

by Dick

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:11 am
Never weighed the complete bike. But the frameset is 172gr lighter now. Original paint was the olive/neon yellow colorway.
Yeah - that's amazing

Was thinking of something similar for mine. I know for a fact it has the 2019 luminous yellow underneath the 2020 black/grey - probably about 400g of paint to get rid of

Yours the High Mod?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Non High-Md, it was the cheapest ultegra mech build originally.

Can anybody help with the bearing size of the lower headset bearing?