Repairing tires with small cuts etc..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

The good news: Despite having the roads with lot of debris etc...I did not get any flats this winter with the Conti 4 Seasons tires. They seem to be much better against puncture than the Vittoria Open Pavé that I otherwise use.

The bad news: I have just checked my tires and I am quite amazed how many small cuts they have on the outside. Some are not deep but some are quite deep! :shock: I also had one with some small piece of metal inside that I removed.

So my question to you: how do you repair all these cuts in the outside of the tires?
I was thinking of putting some patch glue in order to "close" the cut in the tires...Not sure if it would work....

How do you repair these tires? Or do you just leave these like this until you decide that there are too many and you change the tire itself.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If the cut didn't go through the tire's casing then there's no issue. If the cut is in the casing I just put a regular tube patch on the inside of the tire to cover up the cut. The cut shouldn't grow in size. You just need to make sure the cut isn't big enough for the inner tube to seep through. Those who use latex should be concerned since latex has a way to expand into the smallest crakcks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Super glue works works great for little cuts.

If the casing has a little cut I'll super glue it closed and then glue a patch of an old tire casing on the back side.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Based on recommendations here I've tried the super glue fix several times. But, and perhaps this is my fault, I've never had any luck. They always end up splitting open again.

What am I missing?

Jereb

by Jereb

Gearjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 am
Based on recommendations here I've tried the super glue fix several times. But, and perhaps this is my fault, I've never had any luck. They always end up splitting open again.

What am I missing?

Let a little air out , super glue and use a wire tie around rim tire until dry.

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:
Will try that tomorrow!

mattr

by mattr

See if you can get the flexible stuff as well.
Ordinary superglue is pretty much useless unless you are very careful and pretty lucky.

With the flexible stuff i just let the tyre down, glue and wait for a few minutes (ok, usually until my next ride) then pump up and go.

Orlok

by Orlok

Superglue is useless, they always end up splitting open again. The best is to use glue 'rubber repair' witch they also use for shoes etc. it will stay flexible after.
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

dgasmd

by dgasmd

For tubulars I have often simply used a bit of Vittoria Mástil glue on them so long as they don’t go through the casing and the tube is exposed. Seems to work long enough for the tire to wear out and need replacing before any further issues

AJS914

by AJS914

I never had a problem with super glue not sticking on Conti Grand Prixs. You may have to wash and clean the area as you do to get good adhesion with any glue.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I've tried super glue, contact cement, tire patch glue, and never found anything that will hold the cuts together. As others have said, if it's all the way through the casing, I'd put a patch on the inside of the tire. Honestly, I've given up clinchers and only run tubeless at this point. I've found that Genuine Innovations Bacon Strips works wonders.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

guyc

by guyc

I've had good results with wetsuit repair glue (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-S1B- ... B5TCRXTB70)

Leave it to cure overnight and it's pretty good.

Marin

by Marin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiKwPbJhXbO ... reticbikes

A few stitches and a patch of nylon cloth glued on the inside, held up well until the rider got a 2nd, larger cut...

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

For small cuts that aren't through to the casing, I've used https://www.amazon.com/Shoegoo-Shoe-GOO ... B00135M0MM

It fills in the cut so nothing else gets in there. Just need to clean the tire a little for it to stick.

otoman

by otoman

Apply superglue or Goop or whatever with the tire pumped up so the nick is spread open, then deflate to allow the glue to set. Seems to work reasonably well for my Veloflex tubies....
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com