Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JWTS

by JWTS

kilo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am
I heard that favero is preparing the launch of the xco\gravel pedals, I hope it's true
you can already do this yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAFIhKahnM

And I think they sell the spindles now by themselves. Only thing is that the unit is definitely going to be susceptible to rock strikes.

hartmannce

by hartmannce

tothemax wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 am
Have had my Assioma's for 4 years, and finally got around to replacing the pedal bodies.

Major Kudos to Favero for creating a product that you can self-service, relatively cheaply and quickly. 80,000km on these pedals and still works flawlessly!

(Image: Worn vs new pedal bodies)
https://imgur.com/gallery/6Yka0yW
I had a bad experience with self-servicing the pedals after 1 year of use: it is relatively easy to strip the plastic threads in the pedal body, so I had to replace the now busted pedal body. But even with new bearings - pedals are not running as smooth as they were right from the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hartmannce wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:41 am

I had a bad experience with self-servicing the pedals after 1 year of use: it is relatively easy to strip the plastic threads in the pedal body, so I had to replace the now busted pedal body. But even with new bearings - pedals are not running as smooth as they were right from the box.
The first part is my main complaint with Assiomas. The outer cap is, for some reason, the only thing that takes out the axial slop in the pedals. The conventionally threaded cap on the DS can loosen over time, leading to more slop. And of course the natural response is to torque the cap down more...until the plastic threads destroy themselves.

I haven't run into issues with the replacement bearings though. I'd say most of us actually don't like how effortlessly the pedals spun around the spindles. It made things less precise during standard starts.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

JWTS wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 am
kilo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am
I heard that favero is preparing the launch of the xco\gravel pedals, I hope it's true
you can already do this yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAFIhKahnM

And I think they sell the spindles now by themselves. Only thing is that the unit is definitely going to be susceptible to rock strikes.
I've swapped mine out to CXR pedal bodies for gravel use. One of the interesting things I've found is that after a while, I really wanted some crank arm protectors for my carbon crank which was getting dinged up quite a bit.

Since the Favero pod contacts the rubber crank arm protector, I was concerned that it would throw off the power. So I did a power comparison with my Kickr so that I could trust the results and it was still dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmWQnLVpI4c
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Pukutis

by Pukutis

After the last update, i have issues with the accuracy of the pedals. Right pedal is reading less than the left pedal. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pukutis wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 pm
After the last update, i have issues with the accuracy of the pedals. Right pedal is reading less than the left pedal. Any ideas?

No way to confirm without a couple other power measuring devices to test.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ill check lef/right acccuracy first.. Do Static Weight test first and compare left/right measured weight...U dont need calibrated weight for this...Just go with min 9kg (I used water bottle of 6kg plus 3 kg wreight)... Then compare if and how much left/right measured weight differ and maybe adjust that difference...Than compare to other power meter. I realized recently that one pair i have measure lower power than other Favero pairs i have..Done static weight, measured weight was almost same on all pairs, but still that one pair showed lower power readings vs others..Then compared to Direto XRT (which have same power readinga vs other pairs), and adjusted vs this (i put +3.5% power setting)...Now power curve is almost exactly same vs all others (like 0.5% difference).. I was a bit suprised that this one power was not adjusted properly from Factory but possability to recalibrate is cool and fixed my issue now....Image

RadB

by RadB

How do you make manual recalibration adjustments to the power?

3Pio

by 3Pio

1. One way: If there is big discrepancy in Static Weugt Test against calibrated weight there will be possbaility to calibrate

2. Or as second way: Connect to Pedals and there is possability for power adjustnent in percents..

Which is pretty cool and saving u from.having to.send the pedals for recalibration (sometimes also very expensive because of battery item shipping not to.mention birocracy in procedure)

Pukutis

by Pukutis

Just tested with tacx neo and right pedal is giving -40w. Have done static test with 12 kg and it is giving -20%.

Just sent email to favero and lets see response. The pedals are overb2 years.

usr

by usr

3Pio wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 am
How do you make sure the weight is hanging at the exact same lever length (distance to the crank) on both sides? Easy to be off by a fraction in the range of the larger end of single-digit percentage. Wouldn't it be less error-prone to hang that contraption to the toe-end bend of the pedal body?

3Pio

by 3Pio

usr wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:20 pm
3Pio wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 am
How do you make sure the weight is hanging at the exact same lever length (distance to the crank) on both sides? Easy to be off by a fraction in the range of the larger end of single-digit percentage. Wouldn't it be less error-prone to hang that contraption to the toe-end bend of the pedal body?
More-Less i was measuring on same spot, angle... And also done 4 x 3 measuring per side (12 per side in total), and make average of that...

So im pretty sure that this fixed any margin of error and give me proper data of measuring per side to compare....

End result also compared on comparing to Direto XR-T and power curve im getting.. So when i got satisfiying Power Curve and that repeating in almost 10 rides, im satisfied with end result, which does count at the end.....

3Pio

by 3Pio

Pukutis wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:10 pm
Just tested with tacx neo and right pedal is giving -40w. Have done static test with 12 kg and it is giving -20%.

Just sent email to favero and lets see response. The pedals are overb2 years.

If ur problems started after firmwarte update and was working before that, try resetting the pedals..

Disconect charger end and put it where Favero lettering are on the sensors... U'll notice blinking lights as a sign that they are getting reset....

Maybe can help to ur problem...

Yoln

by Yoln

Since this is Weightweenies after all, what's the lightest modified assioma for road? I would assume sub 250g for the pair using Thrust SL bodies and Favero Uno with ti axle on the non-PM side?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Unfortunately, the Thrust spindle is about 5mm shorter from crank to inner bearings so q-factor will be too wide. If you have an Uno and use a Thrust SL on the other side, your cranks will be a little off balance but not sure that will matter at normal cadence. Will save around 70g

On the other hand, the Roadforce ti might fit but that’s an spd pedal so you’ll end up with more weight in the shoes. Could be a good option for gravel.