Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

AZR3 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:33 pm
They're must have been a change or something recently, I've had my pair since Dec of 2017 and only replaced my bearings once and only because I thought I felt some movement on the pedal axle but after switching the bearings I still had the issue.
Are you a light person? Those 10x15x4 bearings have inherent limitations in maximum load. It's a simple question of geometry, smaller balls means smaller contact patches and there are only so many Newtons they can stand before being crushed. And if they are operated close to that limit, lifetime will drop. Pedal powermeters can't really do without low profile bearings on the inboard side, due to the hollow axle that needs a certain amount of volume for sensor installation.

Some well-respected pedals (non-PM) actually have friction bearings on the inboard side, placing a particularly strong outboard bearing so far inboard that they take the entire load at typical PCO. Perhaps that wouldn't be the worst approach to a hollow axle PM pedal, but then on the other hand standard ball bearing availability is so much better than replacement friction bearing availability and lifetime expectations of PM pedals and non-PM are surely not the same.

But it's actually possible that they did a change in 2017: they could have switched from regular bearings (fewer balls, but separated from each other's) to cageless. Cageless have more balls, therefore considerably higher load capability, but more wear from spinning. But from the ball bearing point of view, even a cadence of 160 is barely moving at all (they are designed for four to five digit rpm...), so I'd expect cageless to last longer. But I doubt that they changed, I'd be really surprised if they ever touched their bearing supply because of wear, not without also switching to 6700-RS (rubber sealed).

But cageless 6700 (often called "max" for "maximum complement") are incredibly hard to find, I was once able to order some, but given the total absence of that configuration for 10x15x4 in Google hits I now wonder if I actually just got regular 67002RS that somehow got mislabeled.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

AZR3 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:56 pm
I would have assumed these issues would have come up a lot sooner if they had such poor bearings and wether sealing. Not saying they dont but it just seems strange that ive read very few complaints over the years until just recently, which is why i was thinking something has changed to cause this.
Cheap replacements (third party) and reasonably priced replacements directly from the manufacturer. Not that much to complain about. You won't four that the weather sealing is weak after doing your first service: it's just a simple dust cap. The strongest 6700 (non-MAX) are rated for 850 N (when spinning, less when not). That's plenty of safety margin for static rider weight consisting that the load is not just distributed to two of them but also to a much stronger outboard bearing. But loads from jumps, the occasional cornering ground contact and pavés will easily eat up they margin from time to time. Those bearings are a consumable, and while that's certainly not nice, it's just as certainly not tragic.

pushpush

by pushpush

I want to share something here.

I purchased a pair of Duo-Shi about 2yrs ago. They have worked totally flawlessly for me. 3 weeks ago they started being really erratic. Dropping connecting. Broadcasting very wrong data. Sometimes not powering on. Then finally not powering on at all.

I contacted Favero. Turns out that the pedals were 2 weeks out of the warranty period. (LOL! so funny how that happens) They asked for some photos and some information. They took a few days to review and decided to replace my spindles. They asked me to pay for shipping, which I gladly did. Communication was personal, helpful, and responsive throughout the entire exchange. The spindles arrived via FedEx today, 2day air from Italy to California. The spindles appear to be brand new.

This is incredible support well beyond what I expected. I want to share this because companies that stand behind their products deserve praise.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Also great experience with my Duos. Wrapping up my 4th year on them without issue, service has been quick and helpful even given some language barriers at times. Battery life is still exceptional as well

They are also priced ridiculously well here: https://www.lordgun.com/assioma-duo-power-meter-1
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Weber

by Weber

Anyone have this problem before? When a select None its showing No data and with time filters its ok. I have dual.

All data other than that is fine.