Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

AnthonyE wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:59 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:45 pm
Anybody think going from Assioma Duos to a Quarq DFour is a downgrade? Currently running Assioma Duos and love them, literally no complaints. But I can get an amazing deal on a SRAM Red crank with Quarq DFour power meter. So with the cranks and getting lighter pedals, I can drop a good 150g or so.
Just curious if the deal for this SRAM Red Crank is somewhere online or if you just have someone selling it to you. I'm in the market for a Red Crank w/ power meter but waited too long to pull the trigger when they were all on-sale a few months ago. I currently have Rival and really want to upgrade to lose some weight and gain some better functionality. I think the Red crank is much better looking as well.
Private deal through my club, sorry.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Will there be a new version soon?
I see prices of Assioma duo has increased a lot and they are getting pretty old from 2017.

Garmin is no fun with their batteries.

gruppetto

by gruppetto

eucalyptus wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:38 pm
I see prices of Assioma duo has increased a lot and they are getting pretty old from 2017.

Why should they upgrade a perfectly fine system? There is not much to be improved at the moment.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

gruppetto wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:48 pm
eucalyptus wrote:

Why should they upgrade a perfectly fine system? There is not much to be improved at the moment.
Carbon pedal bodies are very low hanging fruit

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Unfortunately after nearly 4 good years, some pretty major issues with my Assioma Unos:

On the right side (non-power) pedal, the bearings have totally disintegrated. I have taken the pedal apart, and the inner bearing races cannot be removed due to a small ridge in the pedal - does this mean I will have to use a dremel or similar to cut them off?

The left side pedal is also suffering issues. The bearings seem to be in bad shape, but the preload cap cannot be removed - it just spins in place. Having already removed some metal shavings I expect that the bearings have disintegrated inside that one too.

https://streamable.com/k7wmdo

What should I do? Is the pedal body recoverable if I destroy the preload cap or is it only the preload cap that needs replacing.

I contacted Favero late on Tuesday - and I've had no contact since. I understand that the pedals are out of warranty (and I'm not expecting replacements!) but some support towards a solution would be helpful - otherwise I'm stuck with destroying the pedals to recover what I can.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Give them some time, or send a follow up response. Their service has been very helpful even when slightly slow to respond
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Spurdo

by Spurdo

raisinberry777 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:25 pm
Unfortunately after nearly 4 good years, some pretty major issues with my Assioma Unos:

On the right side (non-power) pedal, the bearings have totally disintegrated. I have taken the pedal apart, and the inner bearing races cannot be removed due to a small ridge in the pedal - does this mean I will have to use a dremel or similar to cut them off?

The left side pedal is also suffering issues. The bearings seem to be in bad shape, but the preload cap cannot be removed - it just spins in place. Having already removed some metal shavings I expect that the bearings have disintegrated inside that one too.

https://streamable.com/k7wmdo

What should I do? Is the pedal body recoverable if I destroy the preload cap or is it only the preload cap that needs replacing.

I contacted Favero late on Tuesday - and I've had no contact since. I understand that the pedals are out of warranty (and I'm not expecting replacements!) but some support towards a solution would be helpful - otherwise I'm stuck with destroying the pedals to recover what I can.
I had this happen to me, bearings completely disintegrated. Favero replaced the whole pedal under warranty because they figured the pedal body was damaged too.

kroem

by kroem

gruppetto wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:48 pm
eucalyptus wrote:

Yeha, that is unheard of in the bike industry! ;)
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I've had similar issues with bearings degrading to such a state, I had to use a dremel to remove the races. Yes I should have been more frequent in checking/servicing them but I don't think the bearing seals are suitable for wet northern Europe / UK climates. Favero aftersales and customer support are great though.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Nohands83 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:00 pm
I've had similar issues with bearings degrading to such a state, I had to use a dremel to remove the races. Yes I should have been more frequent in checking/servicing them but I don't think the bearing seals are suitable for wet northern Europe / UK climates. Favero aftersales and customer support are great though.
Even with that in mind - I'm in quite a dry climate and rarely ride in the rain, so it's quite a shame to see relatively poor bearing life compared to other pedals (I've certainly never experienced this with Shimano or Look pedals). I bought them in December 2019 and they have seen ~35,000km of use since then.

It turned out that both pedals had experienced the same bearing wear, to the point where both axles were worn and the pedals were no longer usable.

Favero offered €100 off a new set of Unos (total €290 including shipping to Australia) - at that price I decided to go with a Magene PES instead.

The lesson: check your bearings now, if you haven't already.

AZR3

by AZR3

They're must have been a change or something recently, I've had my pair since Dec of 2017 and only replaced my bearings once and only because I thought I felt some movement on the pedal axle but after switching the bearings I still had the issue. Turns out it was my preload adjuster on my crank, it was loose and allowing the crank axle to slide left and right.
When I swapped bearing neither axle showed any signs of wear and all bearings spun like new.

My pedals have probably close to 40k miles on them so it's crazy to see these issue in newer pedals which makes me think there have been some changes that are causing these problems

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I bought my Assiomas pretty early. The bearings have hardly any grease. The spindle has hardly any grease. The "preload" cap on the DS likes to come loose, which leads to lateral play. If you ride in damp/wet conditions, the bearings don't last unless you take the pedal bodies off and slather a bunch of grease on the spindle and outside both bearings.

AZR3

by AZR3

I would have assumed these issues would have come up a lot sooner if they had such poor bearings and wether sealing. Not saying they dont but it just seems strange that ive read very few complaints over the years until just recently, which is why i was thinking something has changed to cause this.

Weber

by Weber

My favero duo are from 2021 and are ok today, there was not even a change of bearing.
Last edited by Weber on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mortecouille

by Mortecouille

Weber, I guess you meant 2021 :lol:

My favero duo are from fev 2020 and I don't see any problem... no lateral play and never had problem with preload adjuster. The pedals turn well in my hand, I don't feel any resistance. Should I still disassemble them to check or plan to change them preventively? (10k km/year).
Sorry for my english