Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treyxt

by treyxt

Do you think I should wait for a sale before purchasing? Unwelmed by the pricepoint of the new speedplays and think I will go with these.
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

I measured a Q-factor of 58mm with the Thrust 8 bodies. I measured from the edge of the crank arm to the center of the pedal body. I guess the q-factor is ~4mm more, and I just didn't notice (assuming 54mm for unmodified Assiomas was measured the same way).

I guess Q-factor will also depend on how you do the modification. I replaced the oil retainer with some thin washers so that the inner bearings don't get crushed.

With Thrust 8 bodies, the weight went from 303g to 290g. The Thrust 8 pedals themselves were also a little over the advertised weight (220g vs 210g).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yoln

by Yoln

dooglehead2 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:23 pm
I measured a Q-factor of 58mm with the Thrust 8 bodies. I measured from the edge of the crank arm to the center of the pedal body. I guess the q-factor is ~4mm more, and I just didn't notice (assuming 54mm for unmodified Assiomas was measured the same way).

I guess Q-factor will also depend on how you do the modification. I replaced the oil retainer with some thin washers so that the inner bearings don't get crushed.

With Thrust 8 bodies, the weight went from 303g to 290g. The Thrust 8 pedals themselves were also a little over the advertised weight (220g vs 210g).
Thanks, yeah I indeed get 54mm using a similar method on the unmodified one: Image

Thanks for all the help, I think I'll stick with the unmodified version for now... until I get a new episode of WW fever again! Though, I might also be able to get those ~4mm back with some cleat play...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

extremecarver

by extremecarver

After some days riding the ballance now settled at 45-46/54-55 L/R for me. That seems correct. Not sure what was up in the beginning.

Actually about the Q-Factor - It would be great if Assioma could simply provide offset Shimano cleats. I have over 1cm distance from shoe to spindle - already moving the shoes as close as possible. So actually for me if I had offset cleats - I could get into an identical position to original shimano pedals. That would be the best solution.

usr

by usr

extremecarver wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:16 pm
It would be great if Assioma could simply provide offset Shimano cleats.
Would you want to ride those offset cleats on your other bikes with regular Shimano pedals though? (I assume that other bikes would be the primary, if not the only, driver for Assioma-Shi)

In any case, Favero isn't in the cleat business at all, it would be extremely unlikely for them to start doing so for a niche within a niche of their market.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wildly displaced cleat position also create weird sensations. I can only assume it's due to considerable forces causing twisting in the outsole.

Coolcat

by Coolcat

extremecarver wrote:
Will shoes with offset cleats clear the pedal pods?

extremecarver

by extremecarver

Coolcat wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:51 am
extremecarver wrote:
Will shoes with offset cleats clear the pedal pods?
For me on Shimano 702 there is about 1.2cm of room, but I also have the cleats pretty far back. So offset of 8mm would be perfect. I only have one road bike.
Also L
Looking at the shoes I think offsetting by 8mm would be perfectly fine. I would like some more pressure on the outside of my foot for my knee. Actually I think wider q factor with offset cleat would be the perfect position for my feet

Btw my balance is now 45/55 sometimes 43/57. So clearly in the beginning something was off. It's impossible that my right leg is gaining faster than my left leg ....

WeberRoad

by WeberRoad

Anyone try to use the two washer that came with the box on ultegra 8000 crankset to achieve more Q-factor or stance width? Its okey or i will ruin something

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Bringing this thread back.

The Xpedo "hack" has been around for a while. Just wondering if there has been any new version of this or is the M-Force 8 the way to go ?
Thanks

AZR3

by AZR3

Ive had my Assiomas since Dec of 17 and they've been flawless, even used then on my gravel bike, this was before the xpedo hack was known so just using same pedal body and road shoes, and had plenty of small rock strikes to the pedals/pods and never an issue.

About a week and half ago I was riding (road) and was not paying attention and hit a small bundle of metal wire mesh with the right pedal. Didn't feel like a hard hit and didn't really bobble and no threat of going down but about 30s later I looked and my head unit and it showed 0 power.

I stopped and tried to recalibrate but it kept erroring out using the head unit, tried the app and same thing, decided to convert to UNO, recalibrated and was good to go and ride home.

Inspected the pedal when I go home and saw a small gash on the "FAVERO" text on the pod. Emailed support and at first they didn't see any anomalies and after removing the pedal and reinstalling and converting it back and froth from UNO to DUO I was actually able to get it calibrate both with the app and head unit a few times but still 0 displayed power on head unit.

FAVERO checked the pedals again and noticed the right pedals strain gauges were way out of wack. Although the hit didn't seem that hard it nailed the pod and crank arm hard enough to kill the right pedal.

I'm obviously way out of warranty but FAVERO gave me a discount on a replacement spindle. Still love the pedals and I've put them through a ton of miles (approx 20k miles) and dirt, mud, rocks, gravel, and rain without incident but not paying attention and a bundle of wire mesh ended that pedal

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:54 am
Bringing this thread back.

The Xpedo "hack" has been around for a while. Just wondering if there has been any new version of this or is the M-Force 8 the way to go ?
Thanks
Best source for info on this is the TrainerRoad forum thread, but this works with the duo-Shi on some Shimano MTB pedals as well.

usr

by usr

AZR3 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:29 pm
Ive had my Assiomas since Dec of 17 and they've been flawless, even used then on my gravel bike, this was before the xpedo hack was known so just using same pedal body and road shoes, and had plenty of small rock strikes to the pedals/pods and never an issue.
[...]

FAVERO checked the pedals again and noticed the right pedals strain gauges were way out of wack. Although the hit didn't seem that hard it nailed the pod and crank arm hard enough to kill the right pedal.
Sounds like the bonding agent might perhaps slowly get more brittle from aging, making older pedals more susceptible to impact damage than new?

AZR3

by AZR3

usr wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 am
AZR3 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:29 pm
[...]

Sounds like the bonding agent might perhaps slowly get more brittle from aging, making older pedals more susceptible to impact damage than new?
I'm not going to speculate on that, dont have any idea if that is the case but maybe it was just a "lucky" hit that did it in

Veto

by Veto

How often should i clean Assioma pedals? I mean taking out the spindle and regreasing and all. Also, do i have to do some sort of calibration after reassembly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com