Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I would think that the lightest mod you could do is install the Speedplay bodies on the spindle.

extremecarver

by extremecarver

Can someone help me out how to solved the power ballance on new Duo Shi pedals?
I did the calibration already twice - but it always shows my left leg overall at same power as my right leg. That is plain impossible. My left left is 3 months past a big cartilage surgery, I cannot even yet properly squat my bodyweight (vs about 2.5 times bodyweight on right leg), miss 7-8cm circumference on my leg muscles, and 4cm on my tighs plus because of some pain cannot even fully push.

The overall watt figure shown seems to be pretty much alright - it aligns with the power of a friend pretty much. But I guess the power ballance has to be something like 34/66 (left/right) and certainly not aftert the first 1 hour ride exactly 50/50. I can see each pedal on itself is working - but I think the power numbers somehow auto calibrate to 50/50.

My main reason to by the powermeter was to track my progress of my left leg and see where I am at. It seems utterly useless right now. I don't care about total power much, I need to track the progress of my left leg recovery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgrl

by mgrl

My power balance is very consistently 48/52, its not calibrating to 50/50

extremecarver

by extremecarver

Well I know it's impossible that my right and left leg are even similar. After rides if I have muscle pain it's much more likely in my strong right leg. Maybe there is some error mode if it's really out of ballance it corrects to 50/50?
Also since I can remember my right leg has been my strong leg. It's my standing leg and my left leg right now is really like a chopstick. I cannot yet walk down stairs properly with my right leg forward because my left leg just gives up at some point. So there must be a huge discrepancy.
Is there a way to run the pedals fully autonomous? So right and left do not communicate with each other? Then maybe I could send one pedal to my Garmin Fenix 6 on ANT+ and the other pedal to my smartphone via bluetooth. That should help for debugging at least... I could set both at 100% then after the ride or during compare the wattage. If as I assume it's way of there is some big error going on with calibration/auto calibration.

And yeah last ride I used both Fenix 6x (via Ant+) and my phone with Jepster (via Bluetooth). Both showed the pedals separately but arrived directly from 1 minute onwards or so overall or also on the 30 seconds average at 50/50.

After the ride it shows:
L/R Balance: 50%L/50%R
Torque Effectiveness 82%L/78%R
L/R pedal Smoothness 22%L/22%R

L Power Phase: 345°-195°
R Power Phase: 1°-201°
L Power Phase Arc length 210° (even though I clearly miss some extension - so the arc should be shorter than the right side!)
R Power Phase Arce length 200°
L Peak Power Phase 60°-127°
R Peak Power Phase 62°-131°
L Peak Power Phase Arc Length: 66°
R Peak Power Phase Arc Length: 69°

extremecarver

by extremecarver

Well I got reply from assioma they told me to reinstall the perals, add 1 more washer (but it's 0.9-1mm space per side, so I think it's okay and calibrate 2-3 times). Well I will try again tomorrow and see what happens..
I did replace the washers from SRAM vs the assioma ones which are a tiny bit thicker (like 0.03mm difference) and calibrated it newly a couple of times.. next time open support ticket via the app so asdioma gets more data than via webpage, they didn't see my data I think as I opened support via my laptop not phone with app installed

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Without some comparison to another dual sided power meter all this analysis is pointless...

Chaunch

by Chaunch

Highly recommend that you contact Assioma support. I had an issue with my new pedals and they were very helpful (and quick to respond). After updating firmware, etc, they ended up sending me a new left spindle, but works great now. Took about 5 days from the time I contacted them to receiving the new spindle.

Yoln

by Yoln

takolino wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:55 am
Unfortunately, the Thrust spindle is about 5mm shorter from crank to inner bearings so q-factor will be too wide. If you have an Uno and use a Thrust SL on the other side, your cranks will be a little off balance but not sure that will matter at normal cadence. Will save around 70g

On the other hand, the Roadforce ti might fit but that’s an spd pedal so you’ll end up with more weight in the shoes. Could be a good option for gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed. Just tried it out, and brought the overall weight of the pair of DUO to 269g, but Q-factor was about 5mm to long. Pass

Any other ideas? What about Thrust 8 pedal bodies? They are pretty much the same weight as the SL no?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

extremecarver

by extremecarver

Chaunch wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:18 am
Highly recommend that you contact Assioma support. I had an issue with my new pedals and they were very helpful (and quick to respond). After updating firmware, etc, they ended up sending me a new left spindle, but works great now. Took about 5 days from the time I contacted them to receiving the new spindle.
I contacted them too - here is the reply:
I checked the status of this Assioma DUO remotely - when a new ticket is opened and the sensors are connected to the app Favero Assioma we are able to check some internal parameters of the sensors - but I wasn’t able to see any data after the submission of the ticket.

In this case, in order to better understand the situation, I would kindly suggest following these steps:

- reinstall both pedals being careful that the sensor is not touching the crank and try to add at least one washer for each side (please see Chapter 7. Fixing the pedals to the crank-arms at the following link: Manuals - Google Drive);

- verify that the cleats don’t make contact with the sensor;

- perform 2-3 calibrations through the app making sure that the bike is steady and the shoes unclipped from the pedals;

- do another short ride session including some hard sprints and progressions (for a correct mechanical adjustment);

- disconnect and connect again both sensors so that I receive the latest saved values.

In addition, would you be so kind as to send me some pictures of both pedals (installed on your bike) following the instructions in the attached PDF document?

Finally, in order to complete my remote analysis, I kindly ask you to temporarily set your Assioma DUO as Assioma UNO (using the app Favero Assioma), to perform other 2-3 manual zero offsets, and to have a ride.

Please let me know the results of the suggested operations and if Assioma works correctly when converted into Assioma UNO.

I replaced the default sram spacers on both sides with the Assioma ones which are a tiny bit thicker - the distance should be okay however. The sram spacer on the Force 22 cranks can now nearly fit into the gap (or better it fits 3/4 of the way around). The cleats/shoes are a long way in the distance so no contact either.
I re calibrated the pedals 3 times and went out for a long ride - though without any sprints.
I don’t understand why they cannot see my data - as I recalibrated with Assioma app, I wrote the ticket using my PC however (after finding out the pedal serial numbers by connecting the pedals in the app)

The pedals now went from 50/50 to 47.2/52.8 on that ride on average. I hope I can find a friend without muscle disbalance to try my bike - problem is most I know here have Looks or are vastly different size from me so we cannot just switch bikes for a couple of km, while the one Shimano user with similar size to me I know also has weaker left leg currently recovering from knee injury…

On power above my FTP the balance goes to like 55/45 while it goes to 50/50 while cruising with below 50% FTP. I do wonder how the balance is calculated too - because standing/not moving will be 50/50. So does Garmin or Jepster App (both show identical values) take the time not moving, descending without power on the pedals into the average? Then it would actually be ~45/55 (adding descending time and so on) or ~43/57 (adding time on lunch break - it was a 7 hour ride including 1 hour break).

Seeing that on actual power like squatting my right leg is like 3-4 times stronger than my left leg for right now - I still kinda doubt those balance numbers. I would have expected something from 40/60 to 30/70.

I haven’t done the short ride with proper sprint and progression however yet. My max was once 622w, I guess pushing hard for a soon to be red traffic light, and max over 2 minutes was 270w (I’m 67kg and had little training last year due to my knee so the overall numbers right now seem to align quite well, had 142W weighted average power for the 6 hour ride / 127w avg power and guess my FTP is around 195 or 3w/kg or so right now hoping to be back at 4w/kg in 3-4 months which was my level 1 year ago before the knee problems started). I find it hard to believe that the right leg would be another 20% stronger as the overall wattage would be overstated then.
I bought the Assioma’s exactly for tracking my recovery progress. Seeing how bad I still walk or limp around, cannot even thing of jogging, or walking down stairs normally, this 47/53 number looks pretty suspicous.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I think everything is fine with your pedals.
First of all, from my experience, I have quite large left right imbalance, even though my legs were never injured and my muscles look completely balanced...
I'm around 45/55 average L/R. It has always been this way.
And the balance changes quite a bit depending on load and cadence.

The higher the cadence is, higher imbalance.
Higher the power, higher imbalance...

On a easy recovery ride I can get it close to 49/51 avergae. During hard VO2 max intervals with higher cadence it can be even as low as 42/58.
I tried to fix that "issue" with training, doing a lot of single leg drills, but it just does not change... my left leg is just "lazy", and you can feel it when doing single leg training. It just does not want to spin, feels like pedaling squares.

So the plan to swap bikes with friends may not give you any usefull data, if you have no proven power meter data from that person.

Assiomas measure power completely separately for each pedal, so the numbers you see should be quite accurate.
If you have doubts, check the pedals with static weight test in the Assioma app, and compare measured weight for both pedals.

But the easiest way to prove that everything is OK, is to compare them with some other dual sided power meter. (but must be pedal or crank based power meter, spider based power meters will not give you real power split, just an estimation).

milanv

by milanv

Imbalance is a standard think, there are not so many people with 50/50 in their all rides.

Yoln

by Yoln

Looks perfectly fine to me.

I have a pretty strong imbalance as well (injuries on left leg, long history of XC skate skying with driving right leg, etc...)

Even though my sprinting balance is close to 53/47, it's down to 51/49 on Vo2max efforts and 50/50 most of the time with anything below FTP

Yoln

by Yoln

Went through the whole 61 pages to try to find a lighter solution to my DUOs.

Looks like several people switched with Thrust SL bodies, how are you guys dealing with the added q-factor?

Any other solutions than the SL?

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

Yoln wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:04 pm
Went through the whole 61 pages to try to find a lighter solution to my DUOs.

Looks like several people switched with Thrust SL bodies, how are you guys dealing with the added q-factor?

Any other solutions than the SL?
I switched to Thrust 8 bodies. If there is a difference in q-factor, I didn't notice. Either the q-factor difference comes from the spindle, or I really just didn't notice the difference.

I can't say I recommend switching though. I think the Thrust 8 pedal bodies only saved like 13g for the pair, and the Thrust SL are only a couple of grams lighter than that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yoln

by Yoln

Thanks. I actually did it last week with Thrust SL. And I can say that:

- Q factor is longer by 5mm, which is beyond acceptable fit-wise for me
- Weight saving was 29gr for the pair. 303g before, 274 after.

Do you think you could measure the Q factor on your modified pedals perhaps? Or the distance from crank arm to pedal endcap?