open mold time trial frames - 'best' options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joejack951

by joejack951

I'm hoping to gather some input from anyone who has done their own research or better yet owns a time trial frame (or two) from one of the open mold vendors. I'm just getting into time trials, riding a borrowed Litespeed Tachyon and looking to build something to hopefully use next season that's a bit more modern. I own a Hongfu frame so I initially inquired with them about their two time trial frame options but I don't want to settle for one of them for the sake of convenience of dealing with a known entity (to me) if there are better options available.

As far as 'better' or 'best', I'm mainly concerned with a frame, fork, seatpost, and handlebars that simply works as it should. I don't want to be dealing with slipping clamps or awkward designs that make it difficult to get a proper fit or cable routing (looking to use Di2 or EPS) that makes no sense. These things are impossible to assess from pictures. Of course, weight needs to be kept in check and a vendor that can supply a full disc rear would be a plus.

For reference, Hongfu quoted me $799 for their FM018 (http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Produc ... FM018.html), a frame which aesthetically does nothing for me. Handlebars would be an additional $175 and they offered me a full disc rear bundled in with some rims and the frameset for an additional $341.

I appreciate any help in narrowing down the choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Check out this one: https://www.yoeleobike.com/t6-triathlon ... meset.html

A guy was in top3-top6 consistently in local season long TT series on this bike, so it must not be too slow :)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

calvin

by calvin

mrlobber wrote:Check out this one: https://www.yoeleobike.com/t6-triathlon ... meset.html

A guy was in top3-top6 consistently in local season long TT series on this bike, so it must not be too slow :)

I gues that you are talking about me :D
In my opinion this is one of the best open mold frames you can get in price/performance. Quality is quite close to big brand TT bikes i've riden in the past (Giant; Scott)
You can see my build here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=143876
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

mrlobber

by mrlobber

calvin wrote:I gues that you are talking about me :D

Of course ;)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

mrlobber wrote:Check out this one: https://www.yoeleobike.com/t6-triathlon ... meset.html

calvin wrote:
In my opinion this is one of the best open mold frames you can get in price/performance. Quality is quite close to big brand TT bikes i've riden in the past (Giant; Scott)

I would also second Yoeleo's quality. I don't own any of their frames, but I own several (3 currently, 1 previously) sets of their wheels and they've all exceeded my expectations.

I've been using their 88 mm wheels on my Venge to TT in the road bike class of my local TT Cup for the last 2 seasons and I just built a Shiv TT for next season and i'll be using the 88's on that as well, with a disc from them in the back. I have the 60's, which are normally on my Venge for road riding, on the Shiv for some training rides.

joejack951

by joejack951

calvin wrote:

Hey Calvin! Congrats on the success with your bike and thanks for chiming in with your experience.

Did you consider any other frames in addition to the Yoeleo? Did they mention if they'd be willing to make a frame with no logos when you ordered yours? How was cabling the brakes and derailleurs and setting up the hidden front brake? Any regrets on the frame choice?

I'm also considering the Hongfu FM109 which lists for $1260: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Produc ... rame-.html

Any thoughts on it compared to the Yoeleo? It's quite a bit cheaper with a lot of the same features or so it appears.

stormur

by stormur

I don't get something... why pay more for open mold frame than for the one from reputable brand ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Less proprietary stuff maybe? Get high end features for low end price?

Where does the extra speed of a TT/Tri bike come from? Aero position or from the huge and heavy frame?

/a

joejack951

by joejack951

stormur wrote:I don't get something... why pay more for open mold frame than for the one from reputable brand ?

What name brand frame would you suggest at a similar price point? Based on what I've seen, full carbon framesets plus base bars with all hidden cabling and such cannot be had for under $2000 from a name brand. I'm not willing to downgrade on specs just to have a name on my frame (and I prefer no logos anyway).

alcatraz

by alcatraz

4kg for a frame with brakes and bars. It's quite heavy.

My climbing bike is at 1.9kg for the same.

Can't a fast design be made under 3kg? I don't want to cry at every light climb.

/a

calvin

by calvin

joejack951 wrote:
calvin wrote:

I'm also considering the Hongfu FM109 which lists for $1260: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Produc ... rame-.html

Any thoughts on it compared to the Yoeleo? It's quite a bit cheaper with a lot of the same features or so it appears.

Hongfu frame is cheaper but you also have to pay Paypal fees and shipping
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

szabozed

by szabozed

Hi,

Do you have any info or opinion about the company Carbonda?
I am interested on their new disc brake TT frame: http://carbonda.com/road/tt/tr/75.html

Do you know any other open mold options for TT frame with fully integrated cable manegement and hidden brake, preferably disc brake?

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wassim

by Wassim

I'm looking at the same frame Flybike 896 Disc brakes but can't find any information... Not one build, one review . Strange ..
What frame did you end up getting?