2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've reached out to a few people that are knowledgeable on carbon repair and both have said from pictures, they would not recommend repair.

I may try to keep the original fork, but I'm also thinking that the shop might keep it/destroy it.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dQLeX0 ... sp=sharing

Guys, have any of you had or heard of any similar noise on your SL6 or Roval wheels? The noise comes when I go to the biggest cog on my 11-30 Dura Ace cassette. And a little bit on the second largest cog next to it. The others are ok. My fiancées bike (same bike) has the exact same problem, so I figure this is something known. This is a recurrent problem we have had over the years since the bike was new. I have tried changing the cassette, cleaning/relubing the freehub, lubing the rivets of the cassette, but the noise always comes back after a short while and I'm not able to fully understand exactly what is producing the noise. The cassette is torqued to 40 nm. I even sent the wheels for maintenance at DT Swiss and they changed the freehub, but it didn't change anything.

I might try posting this as a new topic to get the experiences from all Roval/Dura Ace cassette users, pending the feedback here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

To me, that sounds like the RD is not set up correctly... it sounds like the chain is not sitting fully on that cog the way it should and it almost wants to shift down, but the RD is holding it there. It looks like you're cross-chained in that video, does it only do it when its cross-chained? I've found that disc brake bikes are a little bit more finnicky about being cross-chained... I think because the rear hub spacing is a little bit wider, so the angles from the cassette up to the chainrings are slightly different.

The other possibility... and honestly, this is probably more likely... that the RD hanger is slightly bent. I had an issue on my bike last year, where the RD hanger got bent just slightly... all gears worked fine, aside from the largest one.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Thanks. I will double check the derailleur hanger and cage, but I don't think it's that. The gear adjustments seem to be spot on as far as I can tell. The chain is not cross-chained in the video; it's on the small chainring and biggest cog.

I have been wondering of the b-screw adjustment could be too close, but I don't think this is the case either.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

(Double-post removed)

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I heard a similiar sound coming from my DT Swiss wheels and it was caused by the spokes rubbing against each other where they meet. You can clean the spokes where they meet and add a bit of grease between. The noise eventually comes back though and you have to repeat the process.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Thanks, Raymond. We have had the noise from the spokes as well (10% of what is heard in the video is probably that), but this goes away with grease, as you say. 90% of the noise in the video is something far more noisy, and grease between the spokes does nothing to this noise.