Bleed screws in Shimano hydraulic levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

cheers. I think I'll stop messing with it until the replacements arrive
FWIW Shimanos response was take it to an official service centre which is all well and good if I had one within an hours drive

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

still pondering this as caps not arrived yet. Just ordered one of these sets, figured might be better than the torx as they have a 2mm option. This is getting expensive https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/6844

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

Had this issue 3 weeks ago, my LBS was building my new Propel and one of the bleed screws was stuck so he could fill/bleed the system. He (and i) wouldn't suck it up and my LBS contacted Shimano. They acknowledged it as warranty case and 3 days later i've had a new R9170 shifter. Thanks for that.
This 2mm allen key just askes for overtightening.

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

these seem absolutely jammed on from the Specialized factory build. No sign of budging before they rounded. Both levers. Not sure a warranty claim would be a goer as a non-mechanic (me) has messed with them. That said the number of places selling spares is quite telling

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Just thought I’d share this in case someone else has the same experience as me. When I was bleeding my brakes a few weeks ago, I thought that I had stripped the head off the 2mm hex. It turns out that I had not fully inserted the hex wrench into the bleed screw and I was simply turning the top part of the screw body.

By pushing the hex wrench deeper into the bleed screw body, I was able to unthread the screw.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I had one screw where pushing the allen key in all the way loosened it.. the other side this made no difference.. the shop tried the torx key method but ending up hving to drill it out... I ordered 4 from SJS.. took about a month to get to Canada but I have spares... bad design... :/

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

I am at my wits end with this. My hex extractors and spare caps arrived today. Not a hope. Just chewed it up even more. So I then hammered a torx T10 in , Good quality set, unused. Same result . These things have been put on so tight either at Shimano or Specialized that they will not move. Dunno where to go next with this.

jlok

by jlok

Dang... I stripped the screw and will need to use the T10 trick....
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

T10 didn't work for me. Just stuck some new thicker pads in whilst looking for someone to fix it

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I couldn’t get the torx to work

So cut a notch - across the head of the screw
And use use a wide flat screwdriver

Works okay...so far
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

Currently with lbs , had to take it in for the Roubaix future shock recall. They have got them out but are now struggling to get the front brake to firm up. Ho fecking hum. Should have stuck with my original plan and bought a Bianchi infinito instead of the Roubaix

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Yeah.. those things are garbage.. they even come from the factory so tight you can barely get them out... Ive already stripped one having to bleed the system and needed to use the Torx to get it out.. friend at shop needed to have his drilled out... I ordered 3 to have em around.. evidently they are a one shot deal...

TonyM

by TonyM

I also have ordered some replacements screws but they are still on back orders.........We are not the only one with this problem.....

ooo

by ooo

anyone checked ST-R7020 bleed screw Y0F398030 - is it any better?
'

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

Turns out the front brake lever is faulty so going back to Shimano for warranty swap. SJS cycles online is good for replacement bleed port caps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com