Issue with 4iiii left side power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

saverin

by saverin

Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 am
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this question might fit here rather than starting a new post. I just installed a 4iiii Podiiiium ride-ready left crank (Ultegra 6800) - one with a rechargeable battery. I'm concerned about the screw that secures the rubber cover on the recharging port. The screw doesn't seem to tighten fully – when it starts to tighten, I can feel a click and it loosens again, and can be turned further. I'm just wondering if this occurs for anyone else that owns one of these?
I actually spec'd this screw in question when I worked at 4iiii. This doesn't surprise me as there were a few undersized screws in the batch of 10000 screws we received. I'd send them an email as ask for a couple extra screws and charging port covers...they cost on the order of 0.05 cents...

Either way, if you loose your charging port cover, the device is still waterproof without the cover so you don't have to worry about water ingress.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

saverin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 am
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this question might fit here rather than starting a new post. I just installed a 4iiii Podiiiium ride-ready left crank (Ultegra 6800) - one with a rechargeable battery. I'm concerned about the screw that secures the rubber cover on the recharging port. The screw doesn't seem to tighten fully – when it starts to tighten, I can feel a click and it loosens again, and can be turned further. I'm just wondering if this occurs for anyone else that owns one of these?
I actually spec'd this screw in question when I worked at 4iiii. This doesn't surprise me as there were a few undersized screws in the batch of 10000 screws we received. I'd send them an email as ask for a couple extra screws and charging port covers...they cost on the order of 0.05 cents...

Either way, if you loose your charging port cover, the device is still waterproof without the cover so you don't have to worry about water ingress.
Wow, I couldn't have asked for a more helpful response - thanks for this. It turns out I found a small zip lock with a spare cover and screw - it must have fallen out when I took out the PM from the box. I'll give this one a try, otherwise I'll send them an email. Thanks again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brianzz

by Brianzz

DJByrne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David
Thanks for the work around.
This fixed the problem for me !!!!
Davy

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

i have the same problem with you.
did you fix it? or not?
[/quote]

Barely saw this....I sent the crank back in and they replaced it with a new model.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Meuble wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am
Just a quick update here.....

I sent back my 4iiii to the retailer last year after it constantly displayed the error 20.

I should add that I sent it back because support from 4iiii by email was slower than snail mail, very unimpressive. The retailer was originally going to replace the unit for me which would have been great but for some reason after about 3 weeks changed their mind and issued me a refund.

I see a site selling them for as little as €240...... That's sounding alarm bells for me.

I just checked in here to see if 4iiii's were still giving problems because I thought I might order a P.M. before summer comes but I think i'll steer clear of 4iiii.

There's something up there, the product is just not up to scratch and the company seems unable to figure this out.

Anyway best of luck to anyone with problems with their PM's, hope it gets sorted for you.
I've been getting this error recently on my Podium also, even with the latest batch update. I'm not sure if this is a Garmin issue or 4iii issue.
But I believe it has something to do with multiple bluetooth connection to the device. My workaround with this is only have 1 direct bluetooth connection to 4iii. I zero offset the pm using the 4iii app on my phone first, then turn my Garmin on and have it connect to the pm.

My other concern was that I do see some really HIGH spike in power after a ride. It's showing a 1700 watts for my highest pm, and there was absolutely no way I hit that on the ride. Comparing the Podium with my Powertap P2 pm on my other bike, it's really *f##k* dissapointing.

john92

by john92

Happened to me. I deleted pm on the garmin and reconnect it again like it's new device, and it works fine after recalibration

g32ecs

by g32ecs

john92 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:01 am
Happened to me. I deleted pm on the garmin and reconnect it again like it's new device, and it works fine after recalibration
X2

Ive had the original left arm PM and other than losing an O ring, I haven't had any issues.

I've used it down to -10C if that matters - they're based in AB, Canada so they're testing that in the harshest conditions for sure.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Did everyone end up satisfied with their 4iiii PM's?

The 4iiii dual sided Dura Ace cranks are spec'd on my new specialized, and while i was able to set up the S Power App fine for the first week and half, it wouldn't calibrate (don't use a garmin - so I don't get those codes). Tried to reset and reconnect and now the app just spins and spins after I connect. After reading this thread, I'm not sure if it's the S Power app or the PM that's the issue. Definitely a frustrating experience.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

oldturd

by oldturd

Very satisfied. I've had practically zero issues with my 4iiii left side PMs on both bikes (SISL2 Precision and 9100 Podium). They are from 2017 and 2018, respectively

Only issue that comes to mind would be battery draining but that's it.. no calibration issues.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

4iiii podium left only, since 2018, no issues what so ever.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Same with me. No issues after a few thousand KMs. Changed the batteries twice and not a single problem.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Thanks all. I was able to get past the part that was hanging up, but am noticing now that while I get power and cadence, my L/R percent works initially, but then after I stop pedaling the first time, then my Wahoo Bolt head unit won't display the L/R percent again. Any clue if I could use the 4iiii app instead of the S Power App?
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

sigma

by sigma

Have any of you guys had issues with the Edge 530 and the 4iii Podium? I have a precision on a sisl2 crank and never had a problem. My newer one, the Podium, on my 9100 left side crank has power drops all the time. It appears to be some communication protocol with the 530 and 4iii as I noticed the same issue now with my older PM too. The edge 520 runs fine, and the 530 works fine with other PMs (quarq and interestingly s works) that I have.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Which protocol are you using on the Podium? ANT+ or BLE? I have read that ANT+ is more reliable than BLE. If you are currently on BLE try switching to ANT+.

sigma

by sigma

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:12 am
Which protocol are you using on the Podium? ANT+ or BLE? I have read that ANT+ is more reliable than BLE. If you are currently on BLE try switching to ANT+.
It's ANT+. I found this thread which suggests it is a 4iii issue.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... powermeter

I will contact them again after I run their app against both the 530 and 520 to double check. It's most notable when I capture the shortest interval (3s) and look at cadence data too. Then I can see the cadence drop to zero in the middle of steep climb briefly indicating data interruption.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com