Issue with 4iiii left side power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Anyone run into this with a new PM? Seems to be reading 2x out of the box. Oddly, maybe normal, reporting all power to Right leg power from a left-only PM. Scale factor is 1, it has about 5hrs on it, and both were warmed up and recalibrated.
https://i.imgur.com/SqJ5o2r.jpg

On the positive side, my FTP went up 176w on my recent trail ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

A guy in my club has that issue regularly with a Giant power meter - it doubles his power even though it's a dual sided power meter already. I tell him with his numbers a world tour team will be calling any day. He has to completely drain the battery and it re-sets.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

jfranci3

by jfranci3

it's a coin cell battery unit.

Gary71

by Gary71

Have you gone through resetting your Bluetooth on the phone routine?
Close phone app, then go to settings and turn off your Bluetooth setting.
Close settings page
re- open settings and turn on Bluetooth
Wake up 4iiii power meter
Open app - hopefully connect (crossed fingers)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

This was connected to the Wahoo Bolt. Did the complete reset. Sent it in to 4iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Probably should have just sent it back to TheProsCloset, but it was on super sale and I didn't see another one.

Setting every power best at once was sweet though.

Senninho

by Senninho

Marreiros wrote:
Brianzz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am
DJByrne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David
Thanks for the work around.
This fixed the problem for me !!!!
Davy
Hi,

Anyone saved the link? Not available anymore...
Does anyone have a file with calibration instructions? the link is not active anymore and I need these instructions. It helped me once, but I didn't save it on my hard drive or in my memory.

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge 20 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Diehard

by Diehard

Perhaps, it may only happen with me but just want to share that I fixed the error code 20 using insulation tape to cover the black area below the large regtangular copper battary contact.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Thanks for sharing! What does that achieve? Does it fix the problem by helping to better lift the four copper contact arms?

dgdracing

by dgdracing

I have a Podium LR Factory installed on SR12 Crankarm. No connection issues but the watts are just too low. Reset/0 offset changes it sometimes a bit but in general the readings are BS especially in the lower figures:/

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

I'm having a couple of issues with my Precision 1.

1. The 4iiii app can't see the PM. The PM is connecting to my Garmin via Ant+, so it doesn't seem to be "bluetooth/one device at a time" issue. I've disconnected and reconnected the PM from my Garmin, and done the backwards battery reset, all to no avail. Tbh, I wouldn't care too much about trying to fiddle with it except that....

2. There is a manssive difference between my Kickr Power (via the Wahoo app) and 4iiii power (via Garmin) when I compare them simultaneously. Wahoo will show 170W, Garmin will show 220W. Then on VO2 intervals, Wahoo will show 420W and Garmin shows 520W.

This is well outside of drivetrain loss from crank to hub, so I'm wanting to maybe update the firmware.

This only came to my attention because I've suddenly started setting all sorts of records when using the 4iiii on my indoor resistance trainer.

Any help would be appreciated!

Johnp12345

by Johnp12345

Senninho wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:38 am
Marreiros wrote:
Brianzz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am
DJByrne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David
Thanks for the work around.
This fixed the problem for me !!!!
Davy
Hi,

Anyone saved the link? Not available anymore...
Does anyone have a file with calibration instructions? the link is not active anymore and I need these instructions. It helped me once, but I didn't save it on my hard drive or in my memory.

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge 20 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Don't suppose anyone has this file? My power meter is now useless!!

Diehard

by Diehard

Regarding the connection issue to 4iiii connect, it happened to me when using Android phone (Not sure with iOS). It is because the PM/4iiii requires location service enabled.
I do have suspicion on its accuracy as I think it consistenly reading high. I'tm think to change the scale factor. Another issue with my power meter is that it always reading low battery :). I have another left PM from 4iiii and another one from stages. Hence, I dont have chance to compare the numbers in the right way.

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:10 am

1. The 4iiii app can't see the PM. The PM is connecting to my Garmin via Ant+, so it doesn't seem to be "bluetooth/one device at a time" issue. I've disconnected and reconnected the PM from my Garmin, and done the backwards battery reset, all to no avail. Tbh, I wouldn't care too much about trying to fiddle with it except that....

2. There is a manssive difference between my Kickr Power (via the Wahoo app) and 4iiii power (via Garmin) when I compare them simultaneously. Wahoo will show 170W, Garmin will show 220W. Then on VO2 intervals, Wahoo will show 420W and Garmin shows 520W.

This is well outside of drivetrain loss from crank to hub, so I'm wanting to maybe update the firmware.

This only came to my attention because I've suddenly started setting all sorts of records when using the 4iiii on my indoor resistance trainer.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Diehard wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:19 am
Regarding the connection issue to 4iiii connect, it happened to me when using Android phone (Not sure with iOS). It is because the PM/4iiii requires location service enabled.
I do have suspicion on its accuracy as I think it consistenly reading high. I'tm think to change the scale factor. Another issue with my power meter is that it always reading low battery :). I have another left PM from 4iiii and another one from stages. Hence, I dont have chance to compare the numbers in the right way.

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:10 am

Thanks 🙂

What is scale factor and how do I change it?

Ange

by Ange

Hello guys,

I have same problem as yours, Code 20 with my leftcrank 4iii specialized, wrong datas...

I have bought some silver paste for electronics components, better conductivity with this kind of stuff, 9 euros on many websites with a little sting to apply properly.
Try to stick the middle area gold connector with some silver paste to have a better conductivity with the battery CR2032
Let it dry 10 hours then, mount back the CR2032.
It worked for me, hope it can help someone in this planet :-D
Regards

dgdracing

by dgdracing

I sent my left side factory install PM to 4iii and they replaced it with a new one. Since they do not produce or develop the Podium PM anymore, they did not bother to check whether for issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com