Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 am
I'm enjoying the simple SRAM centerline X (Not XR) rotors with 9270 calipers and 03A pads. Minimal to no noise and look decent. They just work.

I know it's vain and petty, but Shimano rotors look absolutely terrible to me, and that's coming from a Shimano fan boy. :lol:
Any reason why you went this route?

Im in the market for new SRAM rotors. The old Centerline is almost the same price as the new XR version and Im also currently using the old version on my bike

I personally do not like the big Black blob in the middle in the XR version

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:33 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:
I'm enjoying the simple SRAM centerline X (Not XR) rotors with 9270 calipers and 03A pads. Minimal to no noise and look decent. They just work.

I know it's vain and petty, but Shimano rotors look absolutely terrible to me, and that's coming from a Shimano fan boy. :lol:

Im in the market for new SRAM rotors. The old Centerline is almost the same price as the new XR version and Im also currently using the old version on my bike

My views are purely anecdotal but they just don't seem to warp/ping like the Shimano rotors do in my experience. They're slightly thicker at 1.85mm I believe.

Yeah, I agree with you. The XR version looks terrible. The X have been fine for me. They perform very well and don't look too bad imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:50 am
g32ecs wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:33 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:

My views are purely anecdotal but they just don't seem to warp/ping like the Shimano rotors do in my experience. They're slightly thicker at 1.85mm I believe.

Yeah, I agree with you. The XR version looks terrible. The X have been fine for me. They perform very well and don't look too bad imo.

Thanks.

Well I found an unused treasure in my basement: I forgot I bought the older Centerline! It was an easier choice after that 🙂

And just correcting myself: theyre $40 cheaper than the newer XR

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Just got new Ultegra rotors, size 160mm 113g

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

rcrowley

by rcrowley

I've experienced some manufacturing inconsistency with SRAM Centerline XR rotors. I think one or more of the rivets are subtly loose. It makes them a bear to center, they sort of rattle when tapped, and seem to have a mind of their own for coming uncentered.

I'm planning on trying XTR rotors next as I noticed the pros doing this summer.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Does the black paint on the dura ace rotors actually do anything with heat dissaption like shimano claims?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

What would be the best option to run in a very hilly area with lots of steep descents? 160/140, 6 bolt, weight doesn't matter. Right now I'm on Ashima/KCNC, but don't think these would be up to the task in the long run if I gain weight. Hope and Shimano SM-RT86 look like decent options, Galfer reviews come out as too polarized.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I ran galfers in the Italian alp’s, 140/140 and I weight ~60kg. They where perfect, they didn’t even rub or make noise once. Pads (Shimano K03s’s) held up great too, currently have 6500K on one set.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:55 am
What would be the best option to run in a very hilly area with lots of steep descents? 160/140, 6 bolt, weight doesn't matter. Right now I'm on Ashima/KCNC, but don't think these would be up to the task in the long run if I gain weight. Hope and Shimano SM-RT86 look like decent options, Galfer reviews come out as too polarized.

I will always vote for SRAM Centerline X/XR.

mw1978

by mw1978

Hey
I got in emonda Sl7 SM-RT800-S, 160mm rotors. Can I uograde them to new dura ace RT-CL900 without issue? Is this straight upgrade???

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

mw1978 wrote:Hey
I got in emonda Sl7 SM-RT800-S, 160mm rotors. Can I uograde them to new dura ace RT-CL900 without issue? Is this straight upgrade???
Yeah, although its probably only an update with regards to aesthetics

spacemunk

by spacemunk

Hello I was looking to shed some weight by upgrading from the SRAM Pacelines currently in use with my Rival AXS calipers and wanted to verify that the SRAM Centerline X (non-XR) rotors would still work with them. Thanks!

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

spacemunk wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:31 am
Hello I was looking to shed some weight by upgrading from the SRAM Pacelines currently in use with my Rival AXS calipers and wanted to verify that the SRAM Centerline X (non-XR) rotors would still work with them. Thanks!

Yes, they will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spacemunk

by spacemunk

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 am
spacemunk wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:31 am

Yes, they will.
Thanks for the confirmation :)