Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jwiegand wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:20 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:33 pm
Ah yes was looking at one of those my bad, new ones are backordered
Either way, if anyone is still on BH59 hoses and L02A/L03A/J02A/J03A pads, now is the time to upgrade to BH90 hoses and L05A/J05A pads for massively improved braking performance. Perhaps RT-MT900 rotors as well for good measure.
What's the difference on the hoses?
BH59 expands a bit when the internal hydraulic pressure is high because it has inadequate wall stiffness.
BH90 keep the same outer diameter but make smaller hole for hydraulic fluid inside. That result in thicker wall better resisting expansion force, at cost of more fluid flow resistance because of the smaller pipe.
Hayes, Magura and many other manufacturers instead of making hole smaller for wall to be thicker, they simply enlarge hydraulic hose outer diameter. Or you could do Jagwire's approach of just use better material, aka Kevlar hose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I received my NOW8 Rotors yesterday and installed them today. They seem to have the same offset as my DA set so no adjustment needed for calipers which is nice meaning I can swap one wheelset for the other with minimal fuss. I live in a fairly flat area gaining maybe 300 meters on a 50-60km ride so cant say how they would be in the real hills just yet. I did find that even with hard braking on short distances they were smooth and quiet even after releasing the brakes no noises like I get with the DA Rotors. Best of all they were not warped or bent even after the journey from Italy to Canada. Also they are lighter than DA and not more money than DA. Actually I paid less for the NOW8 sent from Italy than I did for DA from a dealer within my area.
Attachments
IMG_20220309_235409.jpg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

robbosmans

by robbosmans

They could have at least made their own rotors instead of ripping of Ashima

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was just looking at the Ashima site and yes they are very close in design but no centerlock for Ashima @robbosmans.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Nevermind found some centerlocks on another site. Well you know what they say copying is the greatest form of flattery.

ms6073

by ms6073

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:11 pm
I received my NOW8 Rotors yesterday and installed them today. They seem to have the same offset as my DA set so no adjustment needed for calipers which is nice meaning I can swap one wheelset for the other with minimal fuss.
Edited:

Wow those do look like centerlock versions of the Ashima's. That said, based on past experience with Ashima's for cyclocross, I would be leary using those for road riding in the wet as the vents have a propensity to trap grit and grime which in turn builds up an acts as an abrasive slurry, that can and will wear down resin pads very quickly on terrain that incurs frequent braking.
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yes the smart choice is having an extra set of rotors for winter, maybe even with metallic pads.
Its what I do on my mtb because in winter I can wear trough a set of resin brake pads in a ride or two

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

These rotors are on my good summer weather road bike so they wont see much for wet riding but I will keep an eye on the pads just the same. I have a rim brake back up road bike for less than ideal weather. Also these rotors are on a climbing set of Bora One wheels that will only be ridden on dry days in the hills. Thanks for the heads up guys.

sindrestokk

by sindrestokk

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:11 pm
I received my NOW8 Rotors yesterday and installed them today. They seem to have the same offset as my DA set so no adjustment needed for calipers which is nice meaning I can swap one wheelset for the other with minimal fuss. I live in a fairly flat area gaining maybe 300 meters on a 50-60km ride so cant say how they would be in the real hills just yet. I did find that even with hard braking on short distances they were smooth and quiet even after releasing the brakes no noises like I get with the DA Rotors. Best of all they were not warped or bent even after the journey from Italy to Canada. Also they are lighter than DA and not more money than DA. Actually I paid less for the NOW8 sent from Italy than I did for DA from a dealer within my area.
Where did you order these?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:46 pm
BH59 expands a bit when the internal hydraulic pressure is high because it has inadequate wall stiffness.
BH90 keep the same outer diameter but make smaller hole for hydraulic fluid inside. That result in thicker wall better resisting expansion force, at cost of more fluid flow resistance because of the smaller pipe.
Hayes, Magura and many other manufacturers instead of making hole smaller for wall to be thicker, they simply enlarge hydraulic hose outer diameter. Or you could do Jagwire's approach of just use better material, aka Kevlar hose.
Quote myself, BH90's approach to keep external diameter the same as shift/brake housing is the right approach for some tight internal routing frames.
Specifically Cannondale Supersix Evo and Systemsix near headtube choke point. Even the BH90 need considerable push to force it through tight spot there. Bigger diameter hose would just not go through, or pinched.

card0s

by card0s

I have been using on my bike a pair of 140mm Fouriers BR-D1P-2 oil slick 6 bolt disc rotors with BIKE AHEAD COMPOSITES Center Lock adapters. Combined with the stock SRAM Rival AXS calipers and pads.
After some 30 minutes riding, when I brake I got all sorts of horrible noises, mainly some scratch noises and frame vibration both front and back.
I don't know if the brakes were not bled properly (the guy in the bike shop told me he had to do it three times until he got it right) or if I didn't bed them properly (most likely since it is my first disk brake bike).
I cleaned both rotors and pads multiple times with disc brake cleaner, I aligned the calipers but none of that worked.
For reference, I weigh around 67kg.

This combination has almost 1000km on it and I was thinking of switching the pads and rotors.
For pads, I narrowed it down to Galfer's, either blue or green as I don't ride in the rain, and where I live it doesn't rain often.
For the rotors, from what I have seen on this topic, the Galfer rotors seem to be some of the most recommended but I would like to keep the oil slick colorway (because of bling purposes only 8) ). I have seen the two-piece option for Fouriers, BR-DSK001, but I am afraid of making the same mistake.
What would you do in your situation?

Current rotors:

Fouriers two-piece ones:

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Info needed from users that have Galfer rotors...

It seems to me that that CENTERLOCK adapter in Galfers would interfere with the lock ring...
Is that the case

Also is it better to use internal, instead of external/ regarding tool/ lock rings???

Please look LMK.

szazbo

by szazbo

andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm

It seems to me that that CENTERLOCK adapter in Galfers would interfere with the lock ring...
Is that the case

Also is it better to use internal, instead of external/ regarding tool/ lock rings???

Please look LMK.
I had GALFER send me 8 160mm rotors and had to return all of them. I tried their Centerlock version which is just the CL adapter swedged onto the rotor and then the 6 bolt rotors and the CL adapters. All were the same, so far out of true, they could not be used. On the worst ones, spinning the wheel the rotor would touch both sides of the caliper (Ultegra) . The rotor to CL adapter interface is not true or flat and caused the rotor warpage. Galfer wanted to blame the way the rotors were packaged and shipped to them. I moved on to Swiss Stop 160mm. Nice rotors

RustyCage

by RustyCage

szazbo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:10 pm
andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Is that the case

Please look LMK.
I had GALFER send me 8 160mm rotors and had to return all of them. I tried their Centerlock version which is just the CL adapter swedged onto the rotor and then the 6 bolt rotors and the CL adapters. All were the same, so far out of true, they could not be used. On the worst ones, spinning the wheel the rotor would touch both sides of the caliper (Ultegra) . The rotor to CL adapter interface is not true or flat and caused the rotor warpage. Galfer wanted to blame the way the rotors were packaged and shipped to them. I moved on to Swiss Stop 160mm. Nice rotors
Curious, why not use the Galfer 6 bolt rotors with an adapter from DT or BikeAhead Composites? I'm considering this setup myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com