Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

I have a set of Galfers CL; running true out of packaging. Brakes work fine, ran silent (even when wet) for a long while. Recently during wetness started squealing again > investigation needed. I am due a pad change I think so it'll be a clean and swap service.

Re; lockrings. Running a DT (external splines) on the front because of hub and Shimano on the rear (Internal splines). In my opinion no difference, pick a style you like. The included lockrings of Galfer were in 2 parts (ring and ribbed friction unit) and relefated to the spares box as I want all in one's.

Also got experience with
Shimano RT99s Icetech: common issues with pinging after hard braking and always squealing whe wet but otherwise used till wear limit.

Swissstop Catalyst (at the time there was no pro/race/one designation) but it is called Pro now: better than the RT99 in terms of handling heat loads during high intensity braking. Also squealed when wet, but less compared to Shimano RT99. Swapped for Galfers because of running in flat land only.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Recently I thought it was time to change rotors,/even though they didn't need yet/,
But I ordered a set of Galfers and set of Kool stop brake pads...

After rotor swap and fixing the lazy pistons on both front and rear, I can report that besides that Galfers needed a little truing, brakes are 100%.

Super quiet and powerful.
I can't tell if it is more or less powerful than SRAM Centerline, but definitely up to par with it.
All this is on SRAM AXS 2 piece calipers.

Never had a single problem with AXS brakes and Centerline rotors, no squealing, pinging, etc.

Just love the look of Galfers...😁😁😁.

P.S. One issue/not really, but a little strange/ with Galfers...

I switched wheels from road bike Canyon Ultimate/wheels are LB AR 56, to my gravel bike-Ribble CGR SL, to be able to ride it on the road...

And the strange thing is that on the Canyon if I use the lock ring from Galfer it works fine, if I switched to the Ribble I have to switch lock rings and put internal splined one from Shimano and vice versa, otherwise lock ring rubs on the fork.

Same applies when put the wheel back on the Canyon have to switch the lock ring to externally splined one.

Other than that very happy with Galfer, super quiet/ I think this is from pads too.

Sram pad material is harder/I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Really happy with my Galfer rotors. The 160mm one did need trueing but that was a 5 min job, the 140mm one was perfectly fine.

Braking is really good and silent.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Anyone have any recommendations for pads with the galfer CL rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I've recently started using the Campy AFS 160mm rotors with Shimano K03S pads. Braking is smooth and currently silent after roughly 300km.

I had terrible noise from the Dura-ace and XTR rotors, with both the L03A and SwissStop RS34 pads. Hopefully this new combination remains silent.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

I have a factor Ostro on order and am building it up with Dura Ace 9170. I am leaning towards Galfers (they seem to be as good if not better than Swisstop), but am a bit confused as to what exactly I need to order.

So, a couple questions for you all:

1. Can someone with Galfers please point me (via a link) to which Galfer rotors I should be using? I'm a bit unsure on what version I need
2. What pads should I be running? And, are there any other parts I need to buy aside from the rotors and pads?

Aesch

by Aesch

Schadenfreude wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:05 am
I've recently started using the Campy AFS 160mm rotors with Shimano K03S pads. Braking is smooth and currently silent after roughly 300km.

I had terrible noise from the Dura-ace and XTR rotors, with both the L03A and SwissStop RS34 pads. Hopefully this new combination remains silent.
Im on this combination on my gravelbike, slight noise first brake of the ride usually and then silent after. bit different braking noise when actuating the brakes though due to different shape of the rotor i guess.

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

Beancouter wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 pm
Anyone have any recommendations for pads with the galfer CL rotors?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am using Shimano L03A with no problems. But be sure to break them in before using.

rvdh

by rvdh

Does anyone have more info on the new Shimano RT-CL900 rotors? I can't find them on Shimano's website.
They are listed for use on road/gravel and should be compatible with Dura Ace/GRX. However, the 160mm version comes with a magnet lockring for EW-SS302 e-bike speed sensors.

Shimano-RT-CL900-Center-Lock-Bremsscheibe-160mm_800x800.jpeg
Shimano-Magnet-Lockring-Internal-SerrationmcrTUNipIdJmw_800x800.jpeg

ooo

by ooo

This is new rotors, avaiable with and without magnets:

Dura-Ace level:

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet

Ultegra level:

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet

'

rvdh

by rvdh

Good to know both versions will be available with standard lock rings. I think they would be a good replacement for my SM-RT800 Ultegra rotors.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

My RT900 need replacing, my rear one has been untrue since I got it. Very annoying, I accepted it. Now I wanna replace them and look at my options.
As far as I can see i got a few options for my R8070 DI2 groupset
- Campagnolo AFS 03 rotors
- Shimano RT-MT900 Center Lock Brake Rotor for XTR Internal Teeth
- GALFER Fixed Disc Wave 1.8 mm Road Center Lock Brake Rotor

I want them to be centerlock, compatible with the batch of K03S blocks I got and good braking perfomance without them becoming untrue. I've read some people running Campa rotors with Shimano and perfomance seems okay. Anyone got experience with the new Shimano rotors?

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

MrRolandos wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:38 pm
My RT900 need replacing, my rear one has been untrue since I got it. Very annoying, I accepted it. Now I wanna replace them and look at my options.
As far as I can see i got a few options for my R8070 DI2 groupset
- Campagnolo AFS 03 rotors
- Shimano RT-MT900 Center Lock Brake Rotor for XTR Internal Teeth
- GALFER Fixed Disc Wave 1.8 mm Road Center Lock Brake Rotor

I want them to be centerlock, compatible with the batch of K03S blocks I got and good braking perfomance without them becoming untrue. I've read some people running Campa rotors with Shimano and perfomance seems okay. Anyone got experience with the new Shimano rotors?
I've been running the Campy rotors with K03S brake pads for the last few months and they've been working superbly. There's only been a hint of squealing when it was wet and a bit of mud on the road. Pad wear seems to be decent, but I haven't done much in the way of hills riding recently

I've tried the DA and XTR rotors and had horrendous noise from those. I tried sanding the pads and rotors and it only made a difference for a while.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SRAM Centerline X still the best rotors on the market for noise. Just look at the vent design. Irregular shapes = less constructive interference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm happy with my galfer waves
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package