Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aesch

by Aesch

MrRolandos wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:38 pm
My RT900 need replacing, my rear one has been untrue since I got it. Very annoying, I accepted it. Now I wanna replace them and look at my options.
As far as I can see i got a few options for my R8070 DI2 groupset
- Campagnolo AFS 03 rotors
- Shimano RT-MT900 Center Lock Brake Rotor for XTR Internal Teeth
- GALFER Fixed Disc Wave 1.8 mm Road Center Lock Brake Rotor

I want them to be centerlock, compatible with the batch of K03S blocks I got and good braking perfomance without them becoming untrue. I've read some people running Campa rotors with Shimano and perfomance seems okay. Anyone got experience with the new Shimano rotors?
I ride the campagnolo rotors on my gravel bike and they're good. One arrived untrue though. Different braking sounds when compared to mt900 rotors but similar strength/feel for me.

cajer

by cajer

ooo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm
This is new rotors, avaiable with and without magnets:

Dura-Ace level:

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet

Ultegra level:

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet

Do you have any other info on them? I'm curious how they are different than mt-900 and what they do better other than a magnet. As the shape of the rotors and cooling fins have changed yet again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Schadenfreude wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:00 am
MrRolandos wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:38 pm
My RT900 need replacing, my rear one has been untrue since I got it. Very annoying, I accepted it. Now I wanna replace them and look at my options.
As far as I can see i got a few options for my R8070 DI2 groupset
- Campagnolo AFS 03 rotors
- Shimano RT-MT900 Center Lock Brake Rotor for XTR Internal Teeth
- GALFER Fixed Disc Wave 1.8 mm Road Center Lock Brake Rotor

I want them to be centerlock, compatible with the batch of K03S blocks I got and good braking perfomance without them becoming untrue. I've read some people running Campa rotors with Shimano and perfomance seems okay. Anyone got experience with the new Shimano rotors?
I've been running the Campy rotors with K03S brake pads for the last few months and they've been working superbly. There's only been a hint of squealing when it was wet and a bit of mud on the road. Pad wear seems to be decent, but I haven't done much in the way of hills riding recently

I've tried the DA and XTR rotors and had horrendous noise from those. I tried sanding the pads and rotors and it only made a difference for a while.
Check! The campa AFS 03 don't look too bad either, ordered a pair since they were in stock in 160mm's. Would you guys always swap the brake pads when installing new rotors or would it be fine to wear down the excisting ones and then swap them over?

Aesch

by Aesch

I'd wear them down, make sure to follow the bedding in procedure though (for me that worked well).

Poddle

by Poddle

I've been running the Campag AFS 03 rotors on one of my bikes for a while now and I'm really pleased with them. The bike in question has a RS505 front caliper and a R8170 rear caliper, both fitted with Shimano pads, and I'm getting good braking performance with virtually zero noise. From the wear I can see on the rotor, the pads just about clear the cutouts around the circumference.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:11 am
I'm happy with my galfer waves
Do you use Galfer pads with them?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Conradsleight wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:11 am
I'm happy with my galfer waves
Do you use Galfer pads with them?
nope I use Shimano and Swissstop
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Poddle wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 am
I've been running the Campag AFS 03 rotors on one of my bikes for a while now and I'm really pleased with them. The bike in question has a RS505 front caliper and a R8170 rear caliper, both fitted with Shimano pads, and I'm getting good braking performance with virtually zero noise. From the wear I can see on the rotor, the pads just about clear the cutouts around the circumference.
Hmm yeah I installed my AFS 03 today, front rotor has a slight bend and rubs on spot. I can probably fix that, rear was better and seem straight. I bedded them in today but my front brake has alot less power then my rear. New K03S pads, new AFS 03 rotors. Anyone got any idea on what could fix this?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

ARM CHAIR ENGINEERING POST :D

Should've seen new Shimano rotor coming.
SM-RT900 has enclosed spider but it has very wide fanblade reducing its aero performance. It was also underbuilt structurally. While it is heavier than XTR rotor, most weight was spent on the fanblade which contribute very little to the structural integrity. This rotor shred heat excellently, however, it doesn't tolerate any heat build up. It warp easily.
RT-MT900 was designed with structural integrity as the priority. It has wider thicker steel brake track and beefier wider spider. Without the large fan blade it is also lighter than the SM-RT900 rotor.

It turns out, even with the less aero spider. The lack of oversized spinning fanblade means the RT-MT900 is still more aero than SM-RT900. https://www.parcours.cc/pages/aerodynamics_disc
Still, when used with new Dura-ace groupset, the skeletal spider look out of place on aero road groupset.

RT-CL900 has low profile outer similar to the RT-MT900 but even shaped a bit smoother. It pair with the enclosed more aero looking spider of the SM-RT900. I'm not surprised it is a bit heavier than SM-RT900 because the spider is less structurally efficient (but possibly more aero). So, this should be the new go to Shimano rotor... if anyone still bother with Ice tech Freeza.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 pm
ARM CHAIR ENGINEERING POST :D

Should've seen new Shimano rotor coming.
SM-RT900 has enclosed spider but it has very wide fanblade reducing its aero performance. It was also underbuilt structurally. While it is heavier than XTR rotor, most weight was spent on the fanblade which contribute very little to the structural integrity. This rotor shred heat excellently, however, it doesn't tolerate any heat build up. It warp easily.
RT-MT900 was designed with structural integrity as the priority. It has wider thicker steel brake track and beefier wider spider. Without the large fan blade it is also lighter than the SM-RT900 rotor.

It turns out, even with the less aero spider. The lack of oversized spinning fanblade means the RT-MT900 is still more aero than SM-RT900. https://www.parcours.cc/pages/aerodynamics_disc
Still, when used with new Dura-ace groupset, the skeletal spider look out of place on aero road groupset.

RT-CL900 has low profile outer similar to the RT-MT900 but even shaped a bit smoother. It pair with the enclosed more aero looking spider of the SM-RT900. I'm not surprised it is a bit heavier than SM-RT900 because the spider is less structurally efficient (but possibly more aero). So, this should be the new go to Shimano rotor... if anyone still bother with Ice tech Freeza.

I find the RT-MT900 brilliant for my needs. Started to replace all by SM-RT900 with them a couple of years ago and never looked back. No more ting,ting,ting after heavy braking events!!

charirider

by charirider

XTR rotors are the best.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

I'm enjoying the simple SRAM centerline X (Not XR) rotors with 9270 calipers and 03A pads. Minimal to no noise and look decent. They just work.

I know it's vain and petty, but Shimano rotors look absolutely terrible to me, and that's coming from a Shimano fan boy. :lol:

jlok

by jlok

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 am
I'm enjoying the simple SRAM centerline X (Not XR) rotors with 9270 calipers and 03A pads. Minimal to no noise and look decent. They just work.

I know it's vain and petty, but Shimano rotors look absolutely terrible to me, and that's coming from a Shimano fan boy. :lol:
I'm the opposite, using MT800 on my Hope and SRAM brakes. I like them for the low weight, but they warp easily.

I wonder if the road specific calipers accept 2.0mm rotors like SRAM HS2 or Magura Storm HC?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ooo

by ooo

cajer wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:13 am
ooo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm
This is new rotors, avaiable with and without magnets:

Dura-Ace level:

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL900 IRTCL900SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet

Ultegra level:

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SJ - 160 mm int lockring with magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SI - 160 mm int lockring without magnet

RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSI - 140 mm int lockring without magnet
RT-CL800 IRTCL800SSE - 140 mm ext lockring without magnet
Do you have any other info on them? I'm curious how they are different than mt-900 and what they do better other than a magnet. As the shape of the rotors and cooling fins have changed yet again
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

I wonder how the cooling and aero performance is effected by such a big change is fin geometry.