Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

Aesch wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:04 pm
robertbb wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:32 am
Aesch wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:05 am
I've got shimano grx group and a pair of afs 03 160mm rotors incoming intended to use with it. (lo3 pads), I'll try to measure/photograph it.
This would be really appreciated if you can! Will you use stock pads?
Yup the standard LO3 pads (will be a short while, have to build the wheels to fit the rotors to also. hubs incoming too, soon I hope).
Awesome! Subscribed!! :beerchug:

NLC86

by NLC86

ichobi wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 am
NLC86 wrote:
ichobi wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:10 am
I tried three rotors

Sram centerline xr
Galfer road wave
Campy af03

Sram is good all around. Consistent. Not thin feeling. Not much rubbing either. Just not pretty to my eyes.

Galfer is very light but does feel a bit thin. The bite is strong but fade a little in steep downhill. I am too chicken to use it since these were 140mm front and back.

Campy af03 offers me the best experience. Feel solid throughout the lever pull. Initial bite is not strong but the modulation to deeper bite is very pleasant. The braking power curve feels great. Not too immediate and not too light. Never bent, never fade. A little heavy compared to Galfer but I will take these feeling over a few grams.
Thanks, which pads are you using with Campy discs?
Right now the Galfer pads. But experience stays the same even with sram pads.
Many thanks!! Did you get strange noises using SRAM pads?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Not sure what you mean by strange noise but not really, no. There's ocassional rubbing but after readjusting the caliper, all works fine. The AF03 rotor is really solid. I can't see it bents easily, at least compared to other rotors.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Has anyone got any suggestions on best/preferred 140mm 6 bolt rotors?

Probably looking at either the Hope option or Swissstop Catalyst currently but open to suggestions. To be used with Swissstop pads in DA 9120

Aesch

by Aesch

Double
Last edited by Aesch on Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aesch

by Aesch

robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:42 am

So I got everything set up. Rotors look nice, however both came out of the package slightly bent and they're not completely round or centered on the spline (?). This made setup a lot more difficult, especially to get the front pad rub free took me over an hour.
I did the bedding in and it shows the pad contacts the rotor well. It is very hard to photograph the exact position in the grx caliper, visually the top of the rotor and top of the brake pad are flush or the rotor is just outside the furthest margin of the rotor (that's how I found out they're not completely round/centered).

First ride soon I hope! I had less issues setting up my xt discs or xtr discs. Reason to change was noise when wet on the gravelbike. Hope that is solved now :wink:

bilbobogeins

by bilbobogeins

I just switched to Galfer road wave CL and Galfer pads. Coming from shimano R8020 stopping performance seems like a big improvement. No complaints and much quieter in the wet also.

robertbb

by robertbb

Aesch wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 pm
robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:42 am

So I got everything set up. Rotors look nice, however both came out of the package slightly bent and they're not completely round or centered on the spline (?). This made setup a lot more difficult, especially to get the front pad rub free took me over an hour.
I did the bedding in and it shows the pad contacts the rotor well. It is very hard to photograph the exact position in the grx caliper, visually the top of the rotor and top of the brake pad are flush or the rotor is just outside the furthest margin of the rotor (that's how I found out they're not completely round/centered).

First ride soon I hope! I had less issues setting up my xt discs or xtr discs. Reason to change was noise when wet on the gravelbike. Hope that is solved now :wink:
This is great feedback! Thank you!!

A 160mm rotor is a 160mm rotor, notwithstanding miniscule thickness differences there should be no reason for pads to not make proper contact across the brake surface. So whoever reported that elsewhere has something very strange going on...

It's normal for rotors to be slightly bent (hence the existance of rotor truing tools).

It's not normal for them to not be round (aside from those weird shaped rotors of course). I wonder if this actually has more to do with the caliper mounts requiring facing on your frame/fork? Is the problem apparent both front and rear? Misaligned or improperly faced caliper mounts are in my view the major reason for poor performance of discs (squealing, rubbing). Way moreso than the disc system itself.

Aesch

by Aesch

It could be that it's not perfect faced however setup was super easy with the previous wheelset and xt rotors as well as my road wheelset for this gravelbike (which uses ztto hubs and ~15 usd ztto rotors and they were, and still are, super straight out of the box as well as super quiet with excellent stopping in all circumstances so far..)

I tried truing the rotors but that was harder than I thought, will have to dive into the how-to for this a bit more.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Shimano has new L05A pads that replace the old L03A

Ensi

by Ensi

StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:51 am
Shimano has new L05A pads that replace the old L03A
does anybody know what has changed?

1llum4

by 1llum4

Pretty much every Shimano resin pads with a 03 got changed to a 05 version this year. The resin compound has changed hence the product name change.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Aesch wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 pm
Rotors look nice, however both came out of the package slightly bent
It's quite a business were in. My Shimano rotors also came bent.
robertbb wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:58 am
It's normal for rotors to be slightly bent (hence the existance of rotor truing tools).
I can't really go along with this. Can you think of another consumer good made of metal that comes bent, and must be bent again by the user to get it to work?

This industry is feeding us a steady diet of shit that we keep eating. Hopefully there are innovations to come that will solve this problem.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

I'm all for shitting on the bike industry, but cmon. The pad clearances are so small that even a slight bend from shipping could give you the ole ting-ting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

1llum4 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:11 pm
Pretty much every Shimano resin pads with a 03 got changed to a 05 version this year. The resin compound has changed hence the product name change.
any detail on the compound differences? Performance differences? Longevity...etc?