Campagnolo Rear Derailleur 2015+ Upper Pivot

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ctrip

by ctrip

joeyb1000 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:52 pm
The upper pivot spring seems too tight for me to set the derailleur to specifications, and I'm getting lousy shifts in some gears. On prior versions, you could take apart the upper pivot and there were two positions for the spring. Can this be done on the newer systems?

Notes:
Chorus
Campy cassettes and chain
I already tightened the lower pivot with little effect
Hanger is aligned
Colnago Extreme Power
Hi Joey, I think I have a problem with my RD Chorus 11v, in my case, the screw that adjust the upper pivot is tightened to the maximum, the lower pivot spring is in the middle hole, the jockey wheels are very close to the big sprocket, if I loose the upper pivot or tight the lower pivot screw to move away the kockey wheels, then my chain is very loose. The length of the chain is exactly as campagnolo specified in the manual, so the problem is not a long chain.

I bought my bike second hand, and dont know if the previous owner let the bike in the bigs sprockets for a long time, causing the spring to loose a little tension with the time.

Do you think I could fix it giving a little bit of tension to the spring making a new hole?

thanks a lot!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Ctrip, there is only one was you are going to find out, but I am skeptical. That spring doesn't have a lot of range of motion, so you are going to have it under a lot of load when you put it back together.

My original issue was that the hanger on my bike was out of spec, and I was just compensating for it

But, I've never heard of that spring wearing out. With the wheel off, does the spring swing the derailleur back all the way (I'm not trying to be snooty, but why do you think it's too loose)?

ctrip

by ctrip

joeyb1000 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:56 pm
Ctrip, there is only one was you are going to find out, but I am skeptical. That spring doesn't have a lot of range of motion, so you are going to have it under a lot of load when you put it back together.

My original issue was that the hanger on my bike was out of spec, and I was just compensating for it

But, I've never heard of that spring wearing out. With the wheel off, does the spring swing the derailleur back all the way (I'm not trying to be snooty, but why do you think it's too loose)?
Hi! thanks for your reply!,
What happens to me is that I already have everything tightened on the upper pivot, and if I loosen it, the chain becomes too loose. Since I don't have previous experience with Campagnolo, it occurred to me that the problem might be similar to what I had with my old 105, which I solved by making a hole to increase tension on the spring.

I upload a video, so you maybe can tell me if it back all the way correctly.:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WsJaJqJimBI

In this other video you can see the movement, I dont know if its normal that way:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Im9mixvkrgE?feature=share

thanks for your help!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Ctrip,

Ok, I get it. The first video helped. I don't have any of my 11s anymore as I've upgraded to 12s; but the upper pivot does look slow to me. The only way you are going to diagnostic it is to take it apart.

The pull on the chain shouldn't be really tight. That would add a lot of chain friction and crappy shifting (because it won't let the chain wrap around the cog in the lower gears). But, with the wheel off, when you push the derailleur forward and release it, it should snap backwards.

ctrip

by ctrip

joeyb1000 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 am
Ctrip,

Ok, I get it. The first video helped. I don't have any of my 11s anymore as I've upgraded to 12s; but the upper pivot does look slow to me. The only way you are going to diagnostic it is to take it apart.

The pull on the chain shouldn't be really tight. That would add a lot of chain friction and crappy shifting (because it won't let the chain wrap around the cog in the lower gears). But, with the wheel off, when you push the derailleur forward and release it, it should snap backwards.
thanks, so if the upper pivot looks slow, how can I diagnose it? if I dissasembly the zirclips, what should I look for or test?

thanks!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The spring has two tips. One goes in a hole inside the upper knuckle. The other goes in a hole in the part between the knuckle and the drop out.

From your video, it looks like this spring is not functioning. I suspect one of the ends are broken off, or the spring has pulled out of one of the holes.
IMG_0635.jpeg

ctrip

by ctrip

joeyb1000 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:35 am
The spring has two tips. One goes in a hole inside the upper knuckle. The other goes in a hole in the part between the knuckle and the drop out.

From your video, it looks like this spring is not functioning. I suspect one of the ends are broken off, or the spring has pulled out of one of the holes.IMG_0635.jpeg
Did you see this one? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WsJaJqJimBI
because I think the spring is working, (or at least I think so)

thanks!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

ctrip wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:29 am
joeyb1000 wrote:

From your video, it looks like this spring is not functioning. I suspect one of the ends are broken off, or the spring has pulled out of one of the holes.IMG_0635.jpeg

thanks!
I did see it, but there is only so much someone can diagnose online.
going back to your original post, if you want to increase that spring tension, you're going to have to take it apart. That's when you're going to know if there is something wrong, or you need a new hole or a new spring. Another option would be to buy a new rear derailleur, and sell that one on eBay.

ctrip

by ctrip

joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:11 pm
ctrip wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:29 am
joeyb1000 wrote:

thanks!
I did see it, but there is only so much someone can diagnose online.
going back to your original post, if you want to increase that spring tension, you're going to have to take it apart. That's when you're going to know if there is something wrong, or you need a new hole or a new spring. Another option would be to buy a new rear derailleur, and sell that one on eBay.
Thanks a lot!! I will try to take it apart

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

IMG_0335.jpeg
Ctrip, there is one other possibility. If you have a 2015+ derailleur, the embrace gear might have failed.

I'm not a lot of help here as I've never taken one apart. My understanding is that on 11s it changes the upper spring tension as you move the RD to higher cogs. My understanding is that it decreases tension on the smaller cogs to allow the RD to create more chain wrap. Perhaps someone here can provide more info -- and more info on what happens when the gear fails.

ctrip

by ctrip

yes, I have Chorus 2015+, the embrace tecnology is for newer models? mine have the the H screw (on the lower pivot), it works as far I can see to close the gap or to create a little bit of space if needed (very very subtle changes).
My main corcern here, and because my lack of experience with campagnolo is the behaviour of the B Screw, because If I loose or tighten I dont see any changes.

thanks!

ColinHaak

by ColinHaak

ctrip wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:57 am
yes, I have Chorus 2015+, the embrace tecnology is for newer models? mine have the the H screw (on the lower pivot), it works as far I can see to close the gap or to create a little bit of space if needed (very very subtle changes).
My main corcern here, and because my lack of experience with campagnolo is the behaviour of the B Screw, because If I loose or tighten I dont see any changes.

thanks!
Have you managed to find the solution? I have a similar problem with my chorus 11 speed which I'd like to solve

ctrip

by ctrip

My solution was using as is, and only use small chainring with the last 4 sprockets, everything else combinations with big chainring, that way the chain has more tension.
Still dont know if the spring has the proper tension, never have the correct tools to dissasemble it.

ColinHaak wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:29 pm
ctrip wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:57 am

thanks!
Have you managed to find the solution? I have a similar problem with my chorus 11 speed which I'd like to solve