Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BBres

by BBres

Dannnnn wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:23 pm
So what is recommended as a drip wax lube rather than a hot dip?
Currently I am testing UFO Drip. Works OK for me, but it is very pricey. Actually it costs as much as a new chain (KMC X11EL) - so one might ask what is the point of using it. A also doubt it will last 300 km claimed by Ceramicspeed.

My friends recommend Bike7 Pro Wax. Allegedly it's as good but much cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

Dannnnn wrote:
In which scenario? ZFC has all this information readily available.

My only alternative to actual waxing is Rex Black Diamond for the trainer bike.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

otnemem wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:39 pm
Dannnnn wrote:

Well typical UK summer weather, so dry mainly but the odd shower here and there.
No real heavy contamination.

Just want a clean chain and decent wear rate. Not fussed about maintenance as it's the best bike so gets all the love it needs.

Currently using Tru Tension All Weather but even that goes a bit black after a while.

otnemem

by otnemem

Dannnnn wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:27 pm
otnemem wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

Well typical UK summer weather, so dry mainly but the odd shower here and there.

Just want a clean chain and decent wear rate. Not fussed about maintenance as it's the best bike so gets all the love it needs.

Currently using Tru Tension All Weather but even that goes a bit black after a while.
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/
Check it out on a computer or tablet.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Dannnnn wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

I can confirm this as well. Riding in the rain seemed to gum everything up. Pics below for reference.

I'm looking to clean this up, has anyone got any advice for cleaning a Tru Tension lubed chain? Boiling water? Degreaser? Start again with the spirits and acetone cleaning?
Screenshot_20230204-203015_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230204-203034_Gallery.jpg
TIA.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 pm

TIA.

Hot water in something like a Park Tool Cyclone. Use a flat screwdriver to scrape the gunk off the pulleys or take them out and wipe them clean with a rag.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

:noidea:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:51 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:

TIA.

Hot water in something like a Park Tool Cyclone. Use a flat screwdriver to scrape the gunk off the pulleys or take them out and wipe them clean with a rag.
I would use ceramic speed UFO cleaner at first couple of turns in the cyclone cleaner (diluted with hot water). Takes the gunky wax right off. Then a few more turns in clean hot water until run off is clear.

Wi11

by Wi11

Kurt1980 wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

I can confirm this as well. Riding in the rain seemed to gum everything up. Pics below for reference.

I'm looking to clean this up, has anyone got any advice for cleaning a Tru Tension lubed chain? Boiling water? Degreaser? Start again with the spirits and acetone cleaning?
Screenshot_20230204-203015_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230204-203034_Gallery.jpg
TIA.

Morgan blue cuts right through old tru tension for me

bobones

by bobones

Dannnnn wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

The Decathlon stuff is very clean and reasonably cheap. It has a nice consistency, so flows well, doesn't drip, and is easy to apply. Just leave it overnight to solidify. I use it between wax baths (using plain paraffin wax) and my chains stay super clean.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Color me stupid and I am not fully caffinated. Is there a article on how to interpret the results of the testing? I have used Rock & Roll Gold for years. Bought some Squirt lube and have yet to use it since it dispenses weird to me. Not a luquid since it seems like more of a grease. I just purchased the "New" Ceramic Speed UFO and want to wait until a chain change and thouroughly clean the drive train.

fa63

by fa63

Juanmoretime wrote:Color me stupid and I am not fully caffinated. Is there a article on how to interpret the results of the testing? I have used Rock & Roll Gold for years. Bought some Squirt lube and have yet to use it since it dispenses weird to me. Not a luquid since it seems like more of a grease. I just purchased the "New" Ceramic Speed UFO and want to wait until a chain change and thouroughly clean the drive train.
Squirt is quite viscous and needs to be heated up to penetrate the pins properly. Otherwise it can get pretty gunky.

Rock-n-Roll Gold is one of the better conventional lubes out there but does require somewhat frequent reapplication. But if you do that and wipe the chain periodically, the chain can last a relatively long time but not as long as holt-melt wax (or even drip wax).

If you are considering using UFO Drip and don't have the willingness (or the equipment) to degrease a chain thoroughly before initial application (which is key to success with wax), I would suggest buying a pre-waxed chain and starting off with that. Then you can top off with UFO Drip as needed.

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi guys - bought UFO Drip and UFO Clean, waiting for them to arrive. Considering that I'm going to ride plenty of gravel and mucky stuff, I'm concerned I'd wash/wipe off the lube off very frequently- is it fine if I alternate between UFO and something cheaper, say Tru Tension All Weather (which is supposedly ok in bad conditions)? Or would they not play well together?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

robeambro wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:43 pm
Hi guys - bought UFO Drip and UFO Clean, waiting for them to arrive. Considering that I'm going to ride plenty of gravel and mucky stuff, I'm concerned I'd wash/wipe off the lube off very frequently- is it fine if I alternate between UFO and something cheaper, say Tru Tension All Weather (which is supposedly ok in bad conditions)? Or would they not play well together?
Yes, these should be entirely cross-compatible. Both wax based, and even their consistency/colour are quite similar. UFO is better, and leaves less gunky build up. But overall it's not a huge difference between the two.

MikeD

by MikeD

Kurt1980 wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

Screenshot_20230204-203015_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230204-203034_Gallery.jpg
TIA.
That's a lot more than wax we're seeing here. Mostly road grime. Boiling water with Simple Green is what I'd use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Is Squirt compatible with Silca drip? I am using Squirt atm and Silca drip arrived so I would like to try it, ideally without having to fully clean the chain.