Campagnolo EPS V3 here

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seedster

by Seedster

Picked up my 11s V4 battery today for a hefty sum. On the bright side, I can finish my SB/03 build this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

Interesting that the box printing calls that EPS v4. So this is a modernised power unit for v3 11 speed systems. Is the battery capacity any different to the original v3 PU?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I wonder why the part number on the box says PU21-11EPS yet the one on the unit itself says PU19-11EPS.

Seedster

by Seedster

Campy suggested ut would be a longer battery life per charge, but I will compare it with the old dead v3 battery in my seatpost.

Seedster

by Seedster

It appears to be a more powerful battery based on the greater voltage and watt hours. Pictured below is the outgoing eps 11 v3 at the the top, and eps 11 v4 at the bottom.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

That’s what makes EPS so much better than any other electronic groupsets. More voltage, less current.

Unfortunately DA 9250 will still be 7,4 V nominal

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

XCProMD wrote:That’s what makes EPS so much better than any other electronic groupsets. More voltage, less current.

Unfortunately DA 9250 will still be 7,4 V nominal

Having used both EPS & Di2 extensively, I have to ask - why??

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It’s possible to elaborate further into this, but as a short answer, higher voltage and less current means for the same torque out of a limited size motor there’s less stress on the battery.

Li-ion batteries can peak at current levels that Ni-Cd or NiMh could only dream of and that’s what made electronic shifting feasible in the first place (as we know it today anyway, Mavic’s ZMS used the torque on the upper pulley to shift), but draining too much current often will fry them.

Then you could shut off the system at a level that’s safe for the battery for years, but if you mr voltage is low, you risk not having enough torque to execute a shift in certain circumstances.

I guess you’re familiar with the usual noise coming from a derailleur in which one of the limit screws is set too tight. That’s the motor trying to execute the shift, drawing current above cut-off levels and, well, being cut off. If I remember correctly a Di2 derailleur will try 2 times, then third one after a while.

If that cut off was set even lower, the system would not manage to execute shifts under torque in big-next to big, for example, or with a dirty transmission. So there’s a compromise there, less so in Campag’s case.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Can you please simplify and elaborate a bit more? I don't quite understand what you're alluding to.

Never having owned di2 are you saying di2 owners have shifting issues in the long term due to the battery?

Miller

by Miller

I don't think these comparisons are particularly helpful although the info about current is interesting. I have been running EPS for a few years and it's a very solid and reliable system that shrugs off crappy conditions. Campag do warn about your keeping your fingers away from the front mech because it is very forceful when it actuates.

borderlad

by borderlad

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm
Can you please simplify and elaborate a bit more? I don't quite understand what you're alluding to.

Never having owned di2 are you saying di2 owners have shifting issues in the long term due to the battery?
[/quote
Di2 doesn’t like shitty conditions when the battery is low or near end of life. Shifting either doesn’t happen up the cassette at all or does so intermittently. EPS doesn’t seem to encounter any of these issues. It might be trickier to fit than Di2 but once sorted is incredibly reliable especially in the awful weather we have here in Wales. I have one 18 month old Di2 system and two eps systems a V2 and a V3 which are now getting on a bit and all I’ve done is charge the battery when needed.

neeb

by neeb

The important question is... will there be any significantly noticeable differences to the older battery in use? 8.33 w/h doesn't seem massively different to 7.77 w/h, but could other aspects of the design mean that time between charging or longevity is better by more than that (approximately) 7%?

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

borderlad wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:43 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm

[/quote
Di2 doesn’t like shitty conditions when the battery is low or near end of life. Shifting either doesn’t happen up the cassette at all or does so intermittently. EPS doesn’t seem to encounter any of these issues. It might be trickier to fit than Di2 but once sorted is incredibly reliable especially in the awful weather we have here in Wales. I have one 18 month old Di2 system and two eps systems a V2 and a V3 which are now getting on a bit and all I’ve done is charge the battery when needed.
Got it. Cheers. I've never heard anyone complain about di2 so was just curious. Cheers!

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Exactly. And that’s what killed MTB Di2 so far. Also, when Di2 is working at the top of its lungs it tends to dry batteries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marathon50

by marathon50

Hi Seedster
Where did you purchase the V4 11 speed battery.
Thanks