Campagnolo EPS V3 here

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

Interesting - do they have the swoopy / pointy bits at the top, like the mechanical 12sp hoods?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Yep. Pretty much the same feel as the mechanical with the hooky bit.

neeb

by neeb

Well, don't know yet if they feel much different in use, but they look cool.. :?

neeb

by neeb

Incidentally, I've now done this mod. for both of my 11sp EPS V3 setups.

It will definitely void your warranty and may cause accidents, physical injury or death, ha ha... But I've had no issues for a couple of years after modding my first one.

The issue is that the V3 interface is difficult to attach to the bottom of most stems without using the horrible elastic band thing, mainly because the contact area of the relatively narrow bit at the top is quite small. That little hook at the top of the interface also looks pretty ugly and makes the unit stick out more than it needs to.

So I just saw it off and then attach the unit to the bottom of the stem with 3M VHB double sided mounting tape (the 19mm wide stuff is perfect).

First, use a hacksaw to saw off the hook bit. This will inevitably open a hole on the top of the unit:

Then you need to sand the top surface to make it smooth and flat - make sure to regularly blow any plastic dust out of the hole if it gets in... Before you do this, make sure to take a note of the IFXXXXXX number and record it in about five different places, as you'll need it if you ever need to reconnect the unit to the MyCampy app... (even better, post a photo of it in a forum that you can find again.. :lol:)

Looks much better IMO, and I reckon that when securely attached with a wide bit of 3M tape completely covering the hole it should be waterproof. I've certainly never had any issues.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

😂😂 nice! Let me know how you get on. I always thought the v3 eps hoods to be quite hard on the hands (no gloves)

And as I had 12s bikes I had a greater preference for those.

neeb wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 pm
Well, don't know yet if they feel much different in use, but they look cool.. :?

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

That looks really tidy!

Not for everyone but if your stem is hollow you could hide in it there? I've done that with my 11s bike. But you'll also need bars with the exit hole at the stem.

neeb wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:39 pm
Incidentally, I've now done this mod. for both of my 11sp EPS V3 setups.

It will definitely void your warranty and may cause accidents, physical injury or death, ha ha... But I've had no issues for a couple of years after modding my first one.

The issue is that the V3 interface is difficult to attach to the bottom of most stems without using the horrible elastic band thing, mainly because the contact area of the relatively narrow bit at the top is quite small. That little hook at the top of the interface also looks pretty ugly and makes the unit stick out more than it needs to.

So I just saw it off and then attach the unit to the bottom of the stem with 3M VHB double sided mounting tape (the 19mm wide stuff is perfect).

First, use a hacksaw to saw off the hook bit. This will inevitably open a hole on the top of the unit:

Then you need to sand the top surface to make it smooth and flat - make sure to regularly blow any plastic dust out of the hole if it gets in... Before you do this, make sure to take a note of the IFXXXXXX number and record it in about five different places, as you'll need it if you ever need to reconnect the unit to the MyCampy app... (even better, post a photo of it in a forum that you can find again.. :lol:)

Looks much better IMO, and I reckon that when securely attached with a wide bit of 3M tape completely covering the hole it should be waterproof. I've certainly never had any issues.

neeb

by neeb

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 am
That looks really tidy!

Not for everyone but if your stem is hollow you could hide in it there? I've done that with my 11s bike. But you'll also need bars with the exit hole at the stem.
Yeah, not an option for the Darimo bars pictured above. I thought about putting it inside the stem on my other bike but I'd either have had to drill a hole for the wire that goes out to the PS or have it coming out of one of the brake cable holes on the bars, and then how do you charge it / see the status LED?

It's pretty much out of sight, out of mind underneath the stem but still easy access.

neeb

by neeb

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:16 am
😂😂 nice! Let me know how you get on. I always thought the v3 eps hoods to be quite hard on the hands (no gloves)

And as I had 12s bikes I had a greater preference for those.
So far it feels exactly the same except for the tactile sensation of that little pointy bit at the top when riding on hoods with flat forearms.. But it's still winter glove season where I am!

Decider for me was that they look better and are now also easier to get hold of.. 🙂

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

I monitor the battery level on my garmin and need to take the handlebars off to charge, which is only every 3-4 months. My garmin also gives me prompt that i need to manually clear when the battery is on red.

If i do ever need to adjust gears, i essentially need to remember the steps without the light prompt which is easy enough.

I guess it's a decision of which is more annoying, the above steps or seeing the junction box and extra cables. It was a pretty easy decision for me! :D

I've since changed the bars, but you get the idea here.
F6913A4F-22F1-45C2-A5C2-CEB3FA0EB830.jpeg
CCDA382A-AC44-42B1-9779-7ECE96ACA158.jpeg
DCC0CECC-4217-4EA3-9D49-DA35DF088523.jpeg
neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:31 am
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 am
That looks really tidy!

Yeah, not an option for the Darimo bars pictured above. I thought about putting it inside the stem on my other bike but I'd either have had to drill a hole for the wire that goes out to the PS or have it coming out of one of the brake cable holes on the bars, and then how do you charge it / see the status LED?

It's pretty much out of sight, out of mind underneath the stem but still easy access.

neeb

by neeb

Nice! Not sure I could be bothered with taking the bars off to charge, but as you say, it's a choice between two less than ideal options..

Best solution would be to modify a stem and then build the led and charge port into it. Or, there was someone a while back selling 3D printed bar end units for V3, with the electronics from the control unit moved in.. Wonder if those are still going?

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

You might be able to find someone to do it for you, but with 12x getting replaced again soon, i personally don't want to spend any more money on 11s.
neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:36 pm
Nice! Not sure I could be bothered with taking the bars off to charge, but as you say, it's a choice between two less than ideal options..

Best solution would be to modify a stem and then build the led and charge port into it. Or, there was someone a while back selling 3D printed bar end units for V3, with the electronics from the control unit moved in.. Wonder if those are still going?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

When I put my v2 interface inside my stem when that first came out. The v2 charged the battery with a separate connector which I purchased the extension and put it on my seat post.

I've always wanted to go to the v3 but the charging port was the thing that prevented me from doing that. With the almost 10 years of having the EPS11, I only ran out of battery once. Just a few weeks ago while the bike was on the trainer.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Does Campagnolo provide a list of parts required for people buying an EPS groupset separately?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Does Campagnolo provide a list of parts required for people buying an EPS groupset separately?
Less than 60 second search on their website.
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... 7_2019.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:05 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Less than 60 second search on their website.
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... 7_2019.pdf
Using which query?