201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

hasbeen wrote:That has got to be a horrible ride with that seatpost.

+1
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

KWalker wrote:Wondering if it still has the ultra old, ultra tall geo.

Do any of you actually weld AL? Welds look nice and sturdy to me. Not sure why they used that post and did not build an elastomer into it or something to help with dampening.

The geo is actually much more aggressive. So much so that it bumps me back to a 58, unfortunately....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hoven

by Hoven

SLCBrandon wrote:
KWalker wrote:Wondering if it still has the ultra old, ultra tall geo.

Do any of you actually weld AL? Welds look nice and sturdy to me. Not sure why they used that post and did not build an elastomer into it or something to help with dampening.

The geo is actually much more aggressive. So much so that it bumps me back to a 58, unfortunately....

Do you have some information about the geometry?

53x12

by 53x12

Is this frame actually designed to be aero or just to look aero?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Zitter

by Zitter

So basically a crit banger bike.

ak47

by ak47

Interesting frame, but 1x drivetrain only compatible at the moment.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I want! I am a big fan of the 1x setup and it would make a fantastic crit bike!

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The 2x frame with FD hanger will apparently come 3 months after the 1x frames are released.
The BB is 3-piece but still a solid chunk that looks stiff.
I have never had much affinity for Sinyard / Specialized, but this frameset looks highly intriguing.

rothwem

by rothwem

KWalker wrote:Do any of you actually weld AL? Welds look nice and sturdy to me.

This. The welds are fine. They just stick out because they're butt welds instead of fillet welds.

This bike looks awesome, but I'm not a fan of proprietary seatposts. I'm big and I crack them fairly regularly, I prefer my inexpensive $99 Williams cycling carbon seatposts.

Does anyone know if the regular Allez has been updated as well? I've heard stiffness was an issue with the older frames.

joepac

by joepac

The bottom bracket appears to be updated to smartwelds on the "normal" allez as well. I believe this wasn't the case in past years and is supposedly a big reason for increased stiffness on the Allez sprint.

rothwem wrote:
KWalker wrote:Do any of you actually weld AL? Welds look nice and sturdy to me.

This. The welds are fine. They just stick out because they're butt welds instead of fillet welds.

This bike looks awesome, but I'm not a fan of proprietary seatposts. I'm big and I crack them fairly regularly, I prefer my inexpensive $99 Williams cycling carbon seatposts.

Does anyone know if the regular Allez has been updated as well? I've heard stiffness was an issue with the older frames.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

rothwem wrote:I'm big and I crack them fairly regularly, I prefer my inexpensive $99 Williams cycling carbon seatposts.

OT but why do you prefer them if you're getting repeated failures?

rothwem

by rothwem

HillRPete wrote:
rothwem wrote:I'm big and I crack them fairly regularly, I prefer my inexpensive $99 Williams cycling carbon seatposts.

OT but why do you prefer them if you're getting repeated failures?

At the risk of dragging this thread offtopic, I use them because they're light and ride nicely. I also don't want to sound like I'm trashing Williams--I'm not. I'm only on my second Williams post, but I've cracked an Easton EC70 post and a Felt brand post as well. I'm not sure if its through hamfisted overtightening, or just my fat ass smacking down on the seat on potholes and railroad crossings. I usually use a torque wrench at home, but during the first few rides of a new build I've got to adjust the seat position out on the road, so my carefully dialed torque wrench use generally means nothing.

The point of my comment is that I tend to break seatposts, and I'm thinking that that aero post is going to be quite pricey to replace if I were to crack it.

jeffy

by jeffy

hard to tell but is that pseudo-zip ties to hold the rear brake cable on the top tube?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yes zip ties. i think this was pre-production.

also im waiting for the FD version to release.

also that's a huge RD cable loop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sometimes I wonder if frame designers even consider the whole package and the consequences of their design when everything is built up and has to be ridden. Not sure how they're going to avoid some really nasty cable bends going into that rear brake. Result: Nasty braking.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ