Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kode54 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:07 pm
Waist should not be loose. That new Habu M is a large in todays sizing lineup. Legs should be compression feel. I wouldn’t get it despite the sale price. You’ll find it again in the proper size.
You're right. Just tried them again and there is a lot of stretch left in the legs. There is also wrinkling on the right knee. I'm guessing that GTO are not as tight as Habu. Because it's Mille line, while Habu is R line with S9 pad. So I guess GTO in M will probably even bigger. That's a shame.

kode54 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:11 pm
Oh, and the Rapha cargo…you’ll need a M for that unless they changed their sizing. I have a pair when they first introduced them. You’ll get frozen nuts as they don’t have much wind lock there. I think I may only wore the once or twice…once for a Shortest Day Century ride last year on Dec 21st (last time I wore them) since I needed more storage since we didn’t plan to stop so I had to carry lots of fuel.
That's exactly the concern I have. People in reviews mention the crotch being too cold. Also the reflexes which some say peel of quickly. I need tights for about 0-12, so maybe they will be good enough for 0C.

It's strange about the sizing. One guy in reviews says he's 80kg and has M, while another is also 80 but wears L. I asked in their chat and they said based on my measurements. I should probably have S. He also reassured me that it's only a couple of people have had the reflexes peel of.

Right now I am leaning towards Rapha Cargo. Maybe I'll order both S and M.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

kode54

by kode54

In Rapha, I wear M. I could never get into S. Their jerseys have change in vanity sizing but Pro Team still is race cut so I wear
M there as well. Unless you need the pockets, not sure u would lean towards Rapha. Quality level has dropped off and especially if you have a few Assos tights. The GTO is what I pick over the Rapha and I have retired the previous gen Habu.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kode54 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:47 pm
In Rapha, I wear M. I could never get into S. Their jerseys have change in vanity sizing but Pro Team still is race cut so I wear
M there as well. Unless you need the pockets, not sure u would lean towards Rapha. Quality level has dropped off and especially if you have a few Assos tights. The GTO is what I pick over the Rapha and I have retired the previous gen Habu.
What do you weigh? I lean towards Rapha because I like the look and they are on sale now. Plus I have a 50 euro voucher. Of course if I could get the GTO winter tights for sale I would but I don't plan to go much above 200 euros. Since I don't even ride that much when it is really cold. Plus Rapha would work with higher temps as well.

I wear S in Pro Team jerseys. I only wear M in Rapha if the material is not that stretchy like the Gore Tex Infinium jersey and rain jacket.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

kode54

by kode54

I’m 68kg in winter mode.

Yeah, I don’t like riding in extreme cold either or when it is biting. Never had much luck with the Rapha winter tights. Ended up always reaching for the Assos being the technical of the bunch. During spring fall or summer, any brand is fine, it’s only in the winter that I’m most particular with gear.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kode54 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:58 pm
I’m 68kg in winter mode.

Yeah, I don’t like riding in extreme cold either or when it is biting. Never had much luck with the Rapha winter tights. Ended up always reaching for the Assos being the technical of the bunch. During spring fall or summer, any brand is fine, it’s only in the winter that I’m most particular with gear.
Thanks. Yeah I know Assos has the best technical gear. Also probably the best pads, along with Castelli. It's just too bad that their style isn't always great. Lately they seem to have been going away from that black and white pattern. I ordered the Mille GT Evo jacket in grey/black, which looks pretty nice compared with the black with that pattern on the back of the sleeves.

It would be nice if they just put out some simple colors with understated branding, on the jerseys especially. Their bibs and tights though are nice looking because they are just simple black without much sticking out. It'd be cool though if they introduced at least some navy bibs/tights.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

One thing in favor of Rapha, at least with jerseys, is the fact that they do offer them in bright colors. Assos only seem to ever offer jerseys with black as the predominant color. Even when they do a jersey labeled as white or red, there is still a lot of black on it, especially when viewed from behind.

I'm more interested in being visible to motorists than looking 'cool', so Rapha is my jersey source these days. Assos bibs can't be topped, though.

kode54

by kode54

So true.

Winter gear usually gets a shell over everything I wear which is highly reflective for that purpose. Underneath is typically Assos base layers and a long sleeve jersey, either MAAP, Rapha or if especially cold…Assos.

Spring, Summer and Fall…MAAP or Rapha…all being colored and brighter than black/gray. I don’t think I have any Assos tops for warmer temps. I don’t care for their colors if graphics either.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ratef42

by ratef42

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:13 pm
kode54 wrote:
I’m 68kg in winter mode.

Thanks. Yeah I know Assos has the best technical gear. Also probably the best pads, along with Castelli. It's just too bad that their style isn't always great. Lately they seem to have been going away from that black and white pattern. I ordered the Mille GT Evo jacket in grey/black, which looks pretty nice compared with the black with that pattern on the back of the sleeves.

It would be nice if they just put out some simple colors with understated branding, on the jerseys especially. Their bibs and tights though are nice looking because they are just simple black without much sticking out. It'd be cool though if they introduced at least some navy bibs/tights.
I would think the reason why you wont likely see ASSOS release coloured bib tights, is that once a fabric or Lycra is dyed it’s technical ability to move moisture away becomes quite compromised. This also affects surface treatments regarding weather resistance and wind blocking textiles.

Given most peoples hydration recommendation of a bottle an hour stays true in the winter as the summer, its a significant amount of liquid for your kit to disperse.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Which particular bib tight are you guys talking about? The Assos MILLE GT Winter Bib Tights C2 seems to be not tecnical at all... You have the habu / ultraz and the new
Assos Mille GT Winter Bib Tights GTO C2 but these are ridiciously expensive at around €300?

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

MrRolandos wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am
Which particular bib tight are you guys talking about? The Assos MILLE GT Winter Bib Tights C2 seems to be not tecnical at all... You have the habu / ultraz and the new
Assos Mille GT Winter Bib Tights GTO C2 but these are ridiciously expensive at around €300?
I was interested in the Habu and GTO, but they were on sale. Habu are 2250 SEK and GTO can be found in M still for 2600 SEK.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

ratef42 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
I’m 68kg in winter mode.

I would think the reason why you wont likely see ASSOS release coloured bib tights, is that once a fabric or Lycra is dyed it’s technical ability to move moisture away becomes quite compromised. This also affects surface treatments regarding weather resistance and wind blocking textiles.

Given most peoples hydration recommendation of a bottle an hour stays true in the winter as the summer, its a significant amount of liquid for your kit to disperse.
Is that really true? I have never heard of that before. I know that Assos usually say that they make mostly black technical gear because black lasts longer. And I just happen to get both the Rapha Team Training tights and Cargo winter tights in navy. If that's true, I should have got the Habu anyway.

Would that be the case for the Assos Mille GT Evo winter jacket as well? The one in grey?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:10 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am
I was interested in the Habu and GTO, but they were on sale. Habu are 2250 SEK and GTO can be found in M still for 2600 SEK.
Ah yeah i just bought the habu for 170. Good price imo. The equipe rs winter bib tights were also really nice but at 255 euro. I dind feel it would be worth.

GaBa

by GaBa

Where are you getting these deals? Online or at your local retailer?

ratef42

by ratef42

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:17 pm
ratef42 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
I’m 68kg in winter mode.

Is that really true? I have never heard of that before. I know that Assos usually say that they make mostly black technical gear because black lasts longer. And I just happen to get both the Rapha Team Training tights and Cargo winter tights in navy. If that's true, I should have got the Habu anyway.

Would that be the case for the Assos Mille GT Evo winter jacket as well? The one in grey?
That’s a fine winter jacket yes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:37 am
One thing in favor of Rapha, at least with jerseys, is the fact that they do offer them in bright colors. Assos only seem to ever offer jerseys with black as the predominant color. Even when they do a jersey labeled as white or red, there is still a lot of black on it, especially when viewed from behind.

I'm more interested in being visible to motorists than looking 'cool', so Rapha is my jersey source these days. Assos bibs can't be topped, though.
No doubt; Assos has definitely lost jersey sales (from me, anyway) due to not having bright colors, particularly as you go up the line. Maybe its for the best, as most of my bibs are Assos, and I wouldn't want to be too "matchy-matchy."