Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm
I have both and the material feels different. The material on the Targa feels thicker and less stretchy.
I've had two pairs of the Equipe RS, one an early pair bough shortly after it was released and the second was a later "black series" version bought shortly before the "Targa" lines were announced. The early Equipe pair had a lighter, more stretchy feeling fabric, which apparently was its downfall, as it developed holes where the chamois was stitched to the rear of the shorts, right at the opening for the "golden gate" free-moving portion of the chamois. That early Equipe RS pair also seemed to relatively quickly show abrasion wear (as lightening of the fabric), from the saddle and jersey zippers, etc. The later Equipe RS bibs seemed a bit stiffer and thicker than the early pair, and though I've not put tons of miles on them yet, seem a bit more durable than the earlier pair.

Most recently, I bought a pair of the newest RS Targa bibs right before Christmas. The material on the RS Targa to me feels somewhere between the early Equipe RS and the later Equipe RS in terms of both thickness and stretchiness. While I've only put several hundred miles on them so far, they also seem to resist abrasion wear better than the early Equipe RS bibs. I also much prefer the newer, lower profile Targa chamois, and I like the broader leg gripper section as well. They effectively address my only two issues with the earlier Equipe RS bibs in terms of comfort/fit: the excess chamois material in the front; and the somewhat "old school" dimensions of the leg grippers.

All three pairs were purchased new from well-known national/internet bike stores based in the US, and so should be first quality through official distribution channels.

Spurdo

by Spurdo

Bought my first Assos jersey, saw a RS 9 Targa discounted and I am pleased. Right between M and L at 191cm at 80kg or slightly below, and got L. Had bad experiences with some smaller sized jerseys with me virtually being unable to use the back pockets because those were so high up, DHB being one of the worst. Fit is very good considering the size and I really like the pockets, opening is quite small but stretchy. Cannot tell how it is in the heat yet with temperatures barely going over +10c.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drc

by drc

I just noticed that one of my RS S9 bibs started to disintegrate right outside of the shammy:
RS_S9_disintegrates.JPEG
Did anybody else have that happen? My older assos bibs seem fine and these just passed the warranty period a month ago.

Matte86

by Matte86

Checked mine and nothing so far

kode54

by kode54

Looks like the foam is coming out of the thread holes?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Schoenrock

by Schoenrock

drc wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:33 am
I just noticed that one of my RS S9 bibs started to disintegrate right outside of the shammy:

RS_S9_disintegrates.JPEG

Did anybody else have that happen? My older assos bibs seem fine and these just passed the warranty period a month ago.
Are you riding a 3D printed saddle by any chance? Like a Fizik or Specialized Mirror?

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

drc wrote:

RS_S9_disintegrates.JPEG

happened to mine after about 18 months of regular use. I actually got a full refund from Fahrrad.de in germany.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

drc wrote:

RS_S9_disintegrates.JPEG

I had the exact same thing happen on my first pair of RS S9 bibs. Just under two years old. Probably only worn about once a week in my rotation.

Schoenrock

by Schoenrock

Same thing is happening to mine after around 1000km.... it's the third pair...
F10ED18E-DE4B-4493-95AF-9EBBDF559339.jpeg

uppis

by uppis

Same here on multiple pairs of same bibs, holes at the last stiches. Multiple friends had the same problem as well. Otherwise the best pair of bibs I've had.

polpy

by polpy

Same problem here, ridden for one season. Got a 50% Coupon for a new pair from bike24.

Schoenrock

by Schoenrock

I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue right now... I was wondering if it's my fat ass and if I need to size up the bibs, but looks like it's a QC issue then. Other than that - absolutely love these bibs, but it's annoying to join group rides and every now and then sometimes mentions the holes - common Assos pls fix

drc

by drc

Oh wow, I did not expect this to be so common. Do we know if the S9 Targa has the same issues?
Schoenrock wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:48 pm
Are you riding a 3D printed saddle by any chance? Like a Fizik or Specialized Mirror?
No, I'm using the Berk Lupina. The holes appear outside of the sitting area, there should not be any abrasion here
S9_bibs.PNG

GaBa

by GaBa

This is an issue on older S7 bibs as well. Always at the end of chamois' stiches. I was suspecting this might be since I stretch part of bibs covering legs to far down the leg. Thos happened to me on every S7 (4 pairs) and S9 (3 pqirs) bibs I had.

I recently went from M to S with new Targas and GTOs but they're still fresh so no holes (yet).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Quick question, I have the Mille GT bibshorts in M and they're a bit lose on the legs. They creep up etc.
I could've gone with a S there.
Contemplating getting the RS Targa, do you think M should be fine because it had a racier fit or should I go with a S there?
For reference, I wear Castelli free aero race or the premio in M and they fit great.