Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
harblhat

by harblhat

If the legs are actually so loose that they ride up then that size is definitely too big. The fit difference between Mille and Equipe likely won't take up loose fabric within the same size, it would be more a matter of compression.

The Targa also have better leg grippers if that's a concern.

I wear M in Castelli but S in Assos bibs myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

So this is the Mille gto in S with regular leg length on me. Size seems fine but I am a bit unsure about the leg grippers (again 🤨)
So the bottom row rides up a bit (the top rows are fine I guess) when I move my legs up.
Anyone with experience whether this folding/wrinkling might cause irritation during longer rides? I mean I plan to wear these for the longest of days...

-> returned, thinking about s9 targa in M or maap team Evo...
Attachments
IMG_1110.jpeg
Last edited by Eterna7m on Tue May 23, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

What do you guys think of the compression of Assos bibshorts? I own 2 GTS's and 1 S9. But the compression on the legs seem really poor. Compared to my MAAP bibshorts who are tight and offer alot of support. Same for KALAS, much support and nice and tight. Do you guys have the same experience?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

MrRolandos wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:34 pm
What do you guys think of the compression of Assos bibshorts? I own 2 GTS's and 1 S9. But the compression on the legs seem really poor. Compared to my MAAP bibshorts who are tight and offer alot of support. Same for KALAS, much support and nice and tight. Do you guys have the same experience?
I've got a couple of pairs of RS S9 and a newer RS S9 Targa. I've also got a pair of Cento Evo and some much older bibs. I don't think in general that compression, per se, is an Assos strength, at least in the models I've had; I bought them for overall fit, the proprietary EI chamois, and general high quality. I understand that the woven fabric RSR S9 Targa is promoted as possibly having more compression than the standard version, but I've not used those. As far as "compression" goes, I liked the compressive feel of the Castelli Free Aero Race 4, even though it was marketed for so-called aerodynamics over compression. Giordana FC-R are nice too. However, there are a lot of other brands out there promoting the benefits of their compressive fits that I've not tried.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I agree with CyclingGiraffe that compression is not the focus of Assos bibs. I never understood how "well" or "form" fitting certain compressive bibs are because all of us have different anatomy and that pressure might be right or wrong depending on sprinters, climbers, casual riders etc.

My most recent favorite bibs are Mille GTO C2 with the thick pads. I love how comfortable they are for every ride, especially the long ones.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Right! Then it's not just me or the bibs getting older and losing compression. For training or racing, I do really like the compression. Overall, I'm happy with my bibs. They do feel nice and comfortable, just the compression. The more expensive bibs don't solve this I see, so I don't have to opt for those. Good to hear, thanks fellas!

GaBa

by GaBa

For compression I find Q36.5 better than Assos.

otnemem

by otnemem

Hi everyone.

Just in terms of length for bib shorts - how do you compare?
- Mille GTO C2 Long
vs
- Equipe RS (and RSR) S9 Targa

I've seen comments that the Targas now have longer legs but wondering how they compare specifically. Thanks in advance.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Eterna7m wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:27 pm
So this is the Mille gto in S with regular leg length on me. Size seems fine but I am a bit unsure about the leg grippers (again 🤨)
So the bottom row rides up a bit (the top rows are fine I guess) when I move my legs up.
Anyone with experience whether this folding/wrinkling might cause irritation during longer rides? I mean I plan to wear these for the longest of days...

That leg length is too long for you. The gripper is below the end of your vastus lateralis. Looks like you could pull it over your knee. And you don't want any serious compression close to your knee anyway (research pre-patellar friction, Dr. Toon Claes).

If that gripper was further up your thigh, it would be more stretched and would not be able fold up on itself - it would be "plastered" to your quad and have nowhere to go. I have GTO in both L regular length, and M long, and the grippers are perfect on both. Even with the M long, the grippers are much further up my leg compared to your photo. Maybe check with Cloe Dygert about where she gets her bibs.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:35 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:27 pm

That leg length is too long for you. The gripper is below the end of your vastus lateralis. Looks like you could pull it over your knee. And you don't want any serious compression close to your knee anyway (research pre-patellar friction, Dr. Toon Claes).

If that gripper was further up your thigh, it would be more stretched and would not be able fold up on itself - it would be "plastered" to your quad and have nowhere to go. I have GTO in both L regular length, and M long, and the grippers are perfect on both. Even with the M long, the grippers are much further up my leg compared to your photo. Maybe check with Cloe Dygert about where she gets her bibs.
Thanks for getting back at me.
You're right, it definitely looks like that.
After that I put it a bit further up as I usually wear shorts by default but the same happened. It's better on the other leg... I think it's probably the gripper type that's not for me.
i checked Chloe out, but she wears them really, really high up. i thought men just wear their shorts longer and women higher...

So I Wonder - if there really was strong evidence behind that wouldnt the men in the pro Peleton wear their shorts also shorter or do they decide not to because fashion / "aerodynamic gains"?

kode54

by kode54

sevencyclist wrote:I agree with CyclingGiraffe that compression is not the focus of Assos bibs. I never understood how "well" or "form" fitting certain compressive bibs are because all of us have different anatomy and that pressure might be right or wrong depending on sprinters, climbers, casual riders etc.

My most recent favorite bibs are Mille GTO C2 with the thick pads. I love how comfortable they are for every ride, especially the long ones.
Same here. The GTO is the bib I reach for first. Even though the pads are thick, they conform better and the overall fit of them feel better than other ones I have like the RS Equipe.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

harblhat wrote:If the legs are actually so loose that they ride up then that size is definitely too big. The fit difference between Mille and Equipe likely won't take up loose fabric within the same size, it would be more a matter of compression.

The Targa also have better leg grippers if that's a concern.

I wear M in Castelli but S in Assos bibs myself.
Vanity sizing with newer Assos gear. I used to wear M with Assos several years ago. Now, all the newer S fit like my older M and I haven’t lost any weight. Image
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Leon

by Leon

Second that on sizing. 2023 jerseys Mille GT seems to big. I always used size L and now L seems too big.... And I have already three new jerseys.... :?
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 4:55 am
i checked Chloe out,
The bit about Chloe was a joke. Nobody should wear shorts like that (maybe for tri). She might do it because of nearly having her leg cut off and she doesn't want any compression on the injury location that might interfere with circulation.
Eterna7m wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 4:55 am
So I Wonder - if there really was strong evidence behind that wouldnt the men in the pro Peleton wear their shorts also shorter or do they decide not to because fashion / "aerodynamic gains"?
Compression of the muscles can be helpful for some. As for aero, maybe, but not for Remco who was born with highly aerodynamic cyborg skin. Regardless a couple of cm one way or the other will have zero effect. After that it's fashion. There is a reasonable range for leg length that doesn't look odd.

I'd ignore it all and just find whatever is most comfortable.

Maybe double check that the pair you received isn't the long version shipped by mistake, mis-packaged, mis-labelled etc.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Quick question: I own a pair of T Cento Evo bibs. They are for long endurance rides.
Looks like they don´t offer it anymore. What is the successor? Any clue?
Thanks!