Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
kode54

by kode54

Assos does have better technical gear…most of my winter gear is based on Assos. For other temps that I’m not that concerned about (staying warm) I can wear just about anything else. As much as I like Assos tech, I never cared for their colors or graphics/patterns and tend to wear just about anything else other than Assos, exceptions being the bib shorts or chamois in general.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Anyone have the R Habu winter bibtights? I am choosing between those, the RS Spring/Fall tights or Rapha Pro Team winter tights. I already have Rapha Pro Team Training tights, but those should probably cover down to 10C, they are not insulated and pretty thin.

The coldest riding I will probably do is about 3C. RS Spring Fall are pretty thick and heavy compared to the Rapha Team Training. So I'm wondering what would be the difference between Habu and Spring Fall. What would be the range for those two?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I see that Habu and Mille GT Spring Fall have RX EVO fabric, while RS Spring Fall and RS Equipe Winter tights have Osmos. Amyone know what the difference is?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Anyone? I have to make a decision while they are on sale.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

Roadbiker10 wrote:Anyone have the R Habu winter bibtights? I am choosing between those, the RS Spring/Fall tights or Rapha Pro Team winter tights. I already have Rapha Pro Team Training tights, but those should probably cover down to 10C, they are not insulated and pretty thin.

The coldest riding I will probably do is about 3C. RS Spring Fall are pretty thick and heavy compared to the Rapha Team Training. So I'm wondering what would be the difference between Habu and Spring Fall. What would be the range for those two?
I have the Mille gt c2 bib tights and the Tapha Pro Team Winter bib shorts (same as bib tights but in bib shorts format). The Habu ones have windproof panels on the central area and on the knees I think. The Rapha ones are quite thick, kind of a softshell fabric almost, with little stretch, except on the rear panel which is only a thermal one. The pads are quite different, the rapha one is much simpler and thinner that the mille gt c2 one, but also comfortable.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Pabloldv wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:35 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:Anyone have the R Habu winter bibtights? I am choosing between those, the RS Spring/Fall tights or Rapha Pro Team winter tights. I already have Rapha Pro Team Training tights, but those should probably cover down to 10C, they are not insulated and pretty thin.

I have the Mille gt c2 bib tights and the Tapha Pro Team Winter bib shorts (same as bib tights but in bib shorts format). The Habu ones have windproof panels on the central area and on the knees I think. The Rapha ones are quite thick, kind of a softshell fabric almost, with little stretch, except on the rear panel which is only a thermal one. The pads are quite different, the rapha one is much simpler and thinner that the mille gt c2 one, but also comfortable.
I have actually never ridden with any Rapha pad so far. So I'm not sure how that will work for me. While regarding Assos, I have both the Kiespanzer and GTO C2 with the C2 pad, and also an Equipe RS Targa and Equipe RS with the S9 pad. I love both those pads.

The only reason why I am considering the Rapha Pro Team Winter, is because they have some protection against water. Neither of the Assos tights I mentioned have any water repellency.

Assos re Spring Fall tights, according to a review, it said that the maximum for them was 8C without getting hot. That seems pretty hot for a Spring Fall tight. While the problem with the Habu is that there are no reviews at all anywhere for them, so I have no idea what their range is.

Based on an answer I got from the Rapha thread, I am probably excluding Rapha Winter tights, since they seem to be for really cold temperatures.

So if I was too choose between Assos Rs Spring Fall and R Habu for 0-10C, which one shoud I choose? I know none of them have protection against water, but I assume the Habu would have better repellency, since they are thicker.
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I am also looking at a Mille GT Winter Evo jacket. I have had a lot of Assos bibs, but have never owned any non summer gear from them. I have used the Perfetto with a thermal base layer down to 5C. As I understand, the Mille GT Evo jacket is less warm than Mille GT Ultraz. But is the Evo warmer than a Perfetto? Can the Evo be used down to 0C with a thermal base layer?

I am looking to start riding in colder temperarures, and I have heard great things about Assos winter gear.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Phonektor

by Phonektor

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:30 pm
I am also looking at a Mille GT Winter Evo jacket. I have had a lot of Assos bibs, but have never owned any non summer gear from them. I have used the Perfetto with a thermal base layer down to 5C. As I understand, the Mille GT Evo jacket is less warm than Mille GT Ultraz. But is the Evo warmer than a Perfetto? Can the Evo be used down to 0C with a thermal base layer?

I am looking to start riding in colder temperarures, and I have heard great things about Assos winter gear.
I have the GTO winter bib tights (yeah, the super expensive ones) and the Ultraz winter jacket. I have not used the bib tights you are considering, but I can try to offer my two cents.

First of all, are you going to ride intensive rides or more of endurance style? If the former, I would think Spring/Fall bibs would be safer bet. I have read the review where they said that the bibs feel very warm at 8 °C. However, I have used the GTO tights in something like 13 °C and they didn't feel that bad at all, they breath very well. I must say that I feel cold quite easily and I am a slow rider. I would think that if you plan to go down to zero degrees, the Habu is a safer bet.

For the jacket, the Ultraz is a real deal and very warm when the riding intensity is lower. That jacket I used in the 5 to 10 °C range last spring. This fall for some reason it felt too warm and I sweat a lot with it. Maybe I got fitter during the summer and didn't need that much insulation, I don't know for sure (I also moved more south during the summer but the temp difference wasn't that big). If you feel that you don't get cold easily, then the traditional Mille GT winter jacket might be a good option. I cannot compare to Castelli because I don't any of their jackets. The Ultraz jacket has a patch that says the optimal range is -4 to +8 °C. I think I would not use it for high intensity tempo rides unless it is very cold.

In general I think Assos gear adapt quite well to the surrounding environment and the different ranges overlap each other. It also comes down to personal preference because people feel the cold so differently. So unfortunately I cannot give definite answers because I have not used the specific gear you are thinking. But whichever you might choose, the quality of the the cloth will be excellent.

kode54

by kode54

Having the right base layer helps quite a bit. The GTO winter tights are better than the Habu as far as wind resistant and warmth. The winter Ultraz tights are much warmer and can be used by me down to 23-25F which is my limit.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

BTW, Assos winter tights are a bit confusing in their line. With the introduction of the newer Habu and GTO and RS and Ultraz, I would be undecided which to buy.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Phonektor wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:25 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:30 pm

I have the GTO winter bib tights (yeah, the super expensive ones) and the Ultraz winter jacket. I have not used the bib tights you are considering, but I can try to offer my two cents.

First of all, are you going to ride intensive rides or more of endurance style? If the former, I would think Spring/Fall bibs would be safer bet. I have read the review where they said that the bibs feel very warm at 8 °C. However, I have used the GTO tights in something like 13 °C and they didn't feel that bad at all, they breath very well. I must say that I feel cold quite easily and I am a slow rider. I would think that if you plan to go down to zero degrees, the Habu is a safer bet.

For the jacket, the Ultraz is a real deal and very warm when the riding intensity is lower. That jacket I used in the 5 to 10 °C range last spring. This fall for some reason it felt too warm and I sweat a lot with it. Maybe I got fitter during the summer and didn't need that much insulation, I don't know for sure (I also moved more south during the summer but the temp difference wasn't that big). If you feel that you don't get cold easily, then the traditional Mille GT winter jacket might be a good option. I cannot compare to Castelli because I don't any of their jackets. The Ultraz jacket has a patch that says the optimal range is -4 to +8 °C. I think I would not use it for high intensity tempo rides unless it is very cold.

In general I think Assos gear adapt quite well to the surrounding environment and the different ranges overlap each other. It also comes down to personal preference because people feel the cold so differently. So unfortunately I cannot give definite answers because I have not used the specific gear you are thinking. But whichever you might choose, the quality of the the cloth will be excellent.
Thanks, that still helps. Most of it will be endurance but also harder efforts. If you can use the GTO in up to 13C, which are probably less breathable than Habu because of the water repellency, then Habu might be the better bet for a wider range.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kode54 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:49 pm
Having the right base layer helps quite a bit. The GTO winter tights are better than the Habu as far as wind resistant and warmth. The winter Ultraz tights are much warmer and can be used by me down to 23-25F which is my limit.
It's good to hear though that Ultraz are warmer because that means Habu will be a better option for me. Probably the lowest I will ever ride is 0C max. But 3-10C would be most often probably what I need an option for. Since I have a pair of Rapha pro Team Training tights for 10C and up.

I'm just wondering how much I will miss water protection. The only reason I am even considering Rapha Pro Team Winter tights is because of that. I'm worried though if all that swimsuit like material on Rapha hampers breathability. And I don't know how Raphas pad will work for me. I see that it is much thinner than Assos pads.

It's really strange how Raphas new spring autumn option is so much thinner than Assos. Assos Spring Fall is much more insulated. I have not used the Raphas yet but they don't have any insulation at all, they are like a pair of summer bibshorts almost in the material.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Is there a difference between Spring Fall shorts and bibs? It's strange that the shorts are supposed to be made of Osmos heavy but the tights Osmos light/Osmos medium. Does anyone understand how that works? Also, the crotch area seems to be different between the two.

Is it explained anywhere what the difference is between materials like Osmos and RX Plus?
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Edit.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I ordered R Habu tights and Mille GT Winter Evo jacket. Got a decent deal.

What base layer would you recommend with the Mille GT Evo jacket? I mean for it to work down to possibly 0-3C. I have a Rapha merino LS base layer, but not sure if it'll be enough. I read somewhere that merino isn't that great for really cold temperatures.

I am kind of questioning wether Rapha Pro Team Training tights will be of much use. I just read a new review of them where they say, that if you don't work harder in them, they will be too cold under 15C. So I'm thinking maybe replace them with Spring Fall shorts or tights. That's a really narrow range if it's true.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021