Can anyone true Campagnolo G3?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrfish

by mrfish

graeme_f_k wrote:a good many mechanics haven't been told that even common-or-garden offset-jaw combination spanners, cone spanners and the like have a right and a wrong way round to be used, this comes as a revelation to many ...

Revelation might be a bit much, but please do enlighten me. Keen to understand how my cone spanners should / should not be used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

r_mutt wrote:graeme_f_k

is this candy-twist what you are referring to?

I had a mechanic true my Shamal wheels and although i never checked when i received them back, a month later, i noticed that 5 rear spokes were twisted. Is this something my mechanic did wrong? I can't imagine that the wheels did this by themselves. i took them back to him and he claims that he's seen this before and it's fairly common that these have seized.

Yes, that's the one. Only one cause - incompetent mechanic (I am sorry to say). Only one fix - new spoke, before it fails.
As per my post, it's virtually impossible for a Shamal nipple to seize onto the spoke. They are loctited and the loctite seals the thread.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Calnago wrote:Hi @graeme_f_k: you described this in another thread once and I found the part about the "bulges" between groups of spokes in an untensioned g3 shamal rim very interesting. I asked the following question in that thread but it went unanswered. I'll ask it again here. Are the slightly non round sections that are present in Shamals, and I presume other alloy g3 wheels, also present in the carbon G3 versions like the Bora Ultra Two? Seems carbon would have less "give".
I have only ever had to true one Bora Ultra Two as a result of breaking a single spoke. There was no riding it after the break of course, the price we pay for high tensioned low spoke wheels. However, I just replaced the broken spoke and nipple with one from the appropriate Campy Bora spoke kit and all has been good ever since. And as a testament to these wheels strength I once nailed a huge pothole unweighted from the saddle as I didn't see it coming and the riders in front failed to call it out in time. The thud was so big I was sure it must have broken. But to my surprise I got away with no damage other than a double pinch flat.

Hiya, sorry for the lack of reply - not intentional.

The alloy G3 rims are compressed out of round post drilling. The carbon G3s have a difference in the lay-up around the drillings plus Campagnolo use the way that the lay-up responds to the tension to negate to some extent the (limited) degree to which a rim which is proportionally to it's width, very deep, responds this way in building.

Bora rims start life round and stay that way on building. They are very sensitive to spoke tension and care in building, but for another reason - overcook the tension or fit the load spreading plates in the rim poorly positioned & you'll end up with the nipple ripping out through the carbon - expensive!
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

graeme_f_k wrote:
Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 pm
r_mutt wrote:graeme_f_k

is this candy-twist what you are referring to?

I had a mechanic true my Shamal wheels and although i never checked when i received them back, a month later, i noticed that 5 rear spokes were twisted. Is this something my mechanic did wrong? I can't imagine that the wheels did this by themselves. i took them back to him and he claims that he's seen this before and it's fairly common that these have seized.

Yes, that's the one. Only one cause - incompetent mechanic (I am sorry to say). Only one fix - new spoke, before it fails.
As per my post, it's virtually impossible for a Shamal nipple to seize onto the spoke. They are loctited and the loctite seals the thread.

Hi - doing a search on G3, I stumbled upon this thread once again, and I relaized I never said thank you Graeme.

I'm on my 5th set of G3 wheels- that tells a story right there.