Stages Power Meter - draining battery overnight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hull

by hull

I have 2 stages power meters and both have failed in the last month.
It starts with battery drainage then dropping connections with the head unit.
Now neither of the meters will be picked up by the head unit(garmin 510 or 520)
It is a faulty battery case in the meter. Stages tech support has been friendly and responsive.
However this does not make up for the fact that the device itself is useless and unreliable.
The company has agreed to repair both of them for me. I am inclined to throw both of them in the garbage or use them as paperweights. I do not see how they could be repaired and be trustworthy. I wish they would all be recalled and replaced with the newer generation meter

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Wonder how Sky can train and race with those "estimators"?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALS

by ALS

^sky have a service course full of them, needed it when they kept ruining them with jet wash

keong72

by keong72

Stages is lot problem with battery issues, !

benzebub

by benzebub

I've sent my unit back to stages, the new battery cover and seal didn't work. They confirmed that the battery door was completely broken and they are shipping me a new unit.
I have nothing but good to say about the Stages customer service. Helpful, fast and to the point.

but... the new unit will stay in it's box and I will sell it. Since the problems started I bought a power2max. the P2M works, no problems or hassles, it just works.
But I could be wrong

hull

by hull

I did the same thing
I bought a power tap hub to replace the stages power meter.
I am going to sell my stages meter once it is repaired
If no sucker will buy it perhaps it would make a good kitchen utensil

fogman

by fogman

I was thinking of getting the Stages Power Meter for my Super Record left crank arm. I believe it is being released this winter for the carbon crank arms. Is this problem still prevalent in the current models?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

asv

by asv

I've been using my stages for 2+ years now. I had to get a new battery door, but other than that its been pretty solid.

junchen

by junchen

Just ordered a new stages ultegra from the local distributor. Touch wood - hope the new battery door design would solve the problem...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have a stages Rival crank arm. no problems what os ever. (maybe I need to ride more)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

stevenaaus

by stevenaaus

Hmm.. Good forum. I have 2 stages power meters. Quite happy with them... But the battery drain! $@¥¿$#.
I don't ride in wet.. But it is cold and damp here, so I'll try drying out the crank arms.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I had a problem with my Stages power meter first it massively over read IE averaged 1700 Watts for a ride. I could calibrate it and the temperature reading was massively out. I placed it in airing cupboard for a few days and it seems to be back to normal, but for some reason the battery cover no longer fits. It's going on my indoor trainer bike. And I am looking to replace it.