Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oakum

by oakum

Hi everyone,

Hoping you could help me with sizing for a Colnago C64:

Height: 165 cm
Inseam: 81 cm
Saddle height: 72.2 cm

Current setup:
Reach: 380mm
Stack: 538mm
Stem: 90mm
Spacers: 20mm

Colnago says I should be on size 45s but I am worried that I will need too many spacers to make it work.

Maddie

by Maddie

Wow you have long legs! I'm 178 with the same 81cm inseam as you. Do you also have very long arms?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oakum

by oakum

Unfortunately not, long legs but short torso and short arms which makes bike fitting quite a problem.

ABogle

by ABogle

oakum wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:38 am
Unfortunately not, long legs but short torso and short arms which makes bike fitting quite a problem.
I would seriously consider going custom in your case. If are going to spend that much on a frame don't compromise, get something made for just for you.

WeberRoad

by WeberRoad

Hi,

Does anyone have information on Piriformis Syndrome. I am having this pain and I would like to think what could be the reason. You can share documentation or experiences

card0s

by card0s

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a BMC Teammachine SLR01 and I'm not sure if I should go with the 47 or 51.
BMC's size advisor indicates a 51.

I currently have a Cannondale Supersix EVO size 51 with a 100mm stem and I feel stretched sometimes, even if I swapped the stem for a 90mm one I'm not sure it would be enough.

Height: 167 cm
Inseam: 76.5 cm

Current setup:
Reach: 379mm
Stack: 522mm
Stem: 100mm

My flexibility is not awesome, I can reach the ankles but not the toes. But I want to improve it.
What size do you think it would be best?
Thanks in advance.

rangemonkey

by rangemonkey

Hi All,

Been given the green light to upgrade my old 2015 Tarmac Sport 56 & thinking SL7 as I enjoy that bike but fancy some bigger tyres & disc brakes now.

I'm 1.78 tall with shortish legs, inseam 83cm and short arms. Had a bike fit a pre-COVID when I started cycling much more and I had a shorter stem (90mm) fitted as I was told the 56 was a size too big. Feels good to me now, but might have just got used to it being a touch big, with the shorter stem but I'm not sure on what size as I fall right between the 54/56 according the Specialized

Current Stack 564 Reach 395 & my saddle height is 748. Every decent fitting place near by is booked up for weeks sadly.

Thanks in advance

jecgarci

by jecgarci

Hi all!

So I'll be upgrading my bike and turn full roadie this time around

I've chosen the Giant TCR. My LBS has stock of the advanced pro in size M. So in another thread, specifically in the TCR thread, for my height I'd fit a size S better. Geometry of my previous bike,which was a merida silex 400, and medium TCR advanced pro tells me that they almost have the same reach. Majority of the difference would be in the stack since my previous bike had an MTB'ish geometry. Here are screenshots of the geometry of both bikes
geometrygeeks.bike_compare_giant-tcr-advanced-pro-disc-2022-m,merida-silex-400-2021-47_.png
geometrygeeks.bike_compare_giant-tcr-advanced-pro-disc-2022-m,merida-silex-400-2021-47_ (1).png
Stock stem for the silex was 80mm with 40mm handle bars

My measurements are
Height: 174cm, longer torso armspan of 179cm (is this a thing? lol)
Inseam: 75cm
Saddle height previously: 81cm (inseam x 1.09)

I didn't have much problems with my previous bike in terms of fit and I didn't even feel stretched out (I'm not quite sure if my armspan is a factor here since mine measures 179cm which is 5cm longer than my height). Flexibility is not much of a problem too.

Additional info is that I have not had a bike fit before and figured a shorter 90mm stem(rather than 100) and a short reach on the handlebars would help further in decreasing the reach. I also dont mind spacers that much and I won't be racing. One problem that comes into mind would be the seatpost exposure (is there a minimum seatpost exposure for compliance?)

Hope you guys can help thanks!

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

rangemonkey wrote:Hi All,

Been given the green light to upgrade my old 2015 Tarmac Sport 56 & thinking SL7 as I enjoy that bike but fancy some bigger tyres & disc brakes now.

I'm 1.78 tall with shortish legs, inseam 83cm and short arms. Had a bike fit a pre-COVID when I started cycling much more and I had a shorter stem (90mm) fitted as I was told the 56 was a size too big. Feels good to me now, but might have just got used to it being a touch big, with the shorter stem but I'm not sure on what size as I fall right between the 54/56 according the Specialized

Current Stack 564 Reach 395 & my saddle height is 748. Every decent fitting place near by is booked up for weeks sadly.

Thanks in advance
How many spacers are you currently running? A 54 would be very very low. At 178cm, I would not go for a 54 unless you are trying to achieve a super aggro position.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

jrod88

by jrod88

ToileySiphon wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 pm
rangemonkey wrote:Hi All,

Thanks in advance
How many spacers are you currently running? A 54 would be very very low. At 178cm, I would not go for a 54 unless you are trying to achieve a super aggro position.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk
I agree. At 175cm I'm stretching the new Allez which shares SL7 geo. I'm on a 120 stem and saddle all the way back as far as it goes. I can't stand over a 56 or I'd go that route.
Allez Sprint
SS EVO SE

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rangemonkey wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:02 pm
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

That is a pretty high saddle position for your inside-leg measurement.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TobinHatesYou wrote:
rangemonkey wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:02 pm
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

That is a pretty high saddle position for your inside-leg measurement.
Agreed. I’m about the same size and have a 730mm saddle height on a 53x54 frame with a 120mm stem. Saddle tip to bar is 530mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexandre

by Alexandre

Hi everyone !

I’d like to have your thoughts on a systemsix frame size. I hesitate between a 54 and a 56.
I’m 179cm tall for 88cm inseam (quite weird I know).
I always go for the smallest I can with a longer stem when I’m between two different sizes, but for for the systemsix, I’m not sure if a 54 is just impossible to match my measurements.

Thanks guys !

Daneincph

by Daneincph

I also have long legs - 178cm with 88cm. For me it works best with a short reach frame and short stem as my torso is short. Short reach handlebar can also help. I am medium flexible I would say and not super fit..

WeberRoad

by WeberRoad

Can anyone tell me a good/neutral hood angle measuaring from top of the handlebar? Shimano sti 7000

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com