Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Weber

by Weber

Anyone can help me to know what length of bolt i need in look cleat when i add 6mm of shim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weber

by Weber

Somebody have a 3d print model for heel wedge?

DaveS

by DaveS

Grus wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I would fit a Cinelli Superstar in medium? I'm 182 cm with an 87 cm inseam. Current saddle height is 78 cm, bike has an ETT 570mm with 90mm stem. Unsure if the M in Cinelli would be too small.

Stack and reach tell the story. If you have a bike with advertised stack and reach it's easy to compare. Most likely you need a large, but it depends on your saddle to bar drop. I ride the smallest size with a 72-73cm saddle height, but I also use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I could ride it slammed with a -6 stem but chose to use a 30mm headset top cover with a -17 to improve resale chances.

Grus

by Grus

Last edited by Grus on Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Grus wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I would fit a Cinelli Superstar in medium? I'm 182 cm with an 87 cm inseam. Current saddle height is 78 cm, bike has an ETT 570mm with 90mm stem. Unsure if the M in Cinelli would be too small.

Medium is probably in the ball park for someone your size. I'm about your height with shorter inseam and typically ride 54 or 56 frames.

Mindflash

by Mindflash

Hi,

Which size of Canyon Aeroad or Tarmac SL7 would you recommend? I guess XS and 52 respectively?
Posnetek zaslona 2022-10-10 183704.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mindflash wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 pm
Hi,

Which size of Canyon Aeroad or Tarmac SL7 would you recommend? I guess XS and 52 respectively?

Posnetek zaslona 2022-10-10 183704.png

A 52cm SL7 has a 517mm stack. The XS Aeroad has 521mm of stack. Your fit has 30mm of spacers on top of 539mm stack. Are you sure you want to do this?

tujari

by tujari

Hello,

I am considering buying a road bike after owning MTB for some time.
Cervelo Soloist looks nice and I am trying the fit on my Stages SB20 smart bike while doing indoor training plan.

However, I am somewhat confused about the geometry for Soloist. Seems like they don't include all the data in bike specifications so I could find the x and y
for saddle and handlebar in relation to bb.

Soloist size 51: reach:374mm stack:515mm seat angle:73
The length from bb to the top of the saddle in a straight line is 680mm for me.

This gives me saddle position from bb as 199mm behind and 650mm up.
From bb to the top of the head tube as 374 mm in front and 515 up.

The unclear part is where is the handlebar in relation to the headtube. Can you always specify the stem length and amount of spacers to raise the handlebar if needed when you do the order, or does it come with some default setting?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tujari wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:03 am
Hello,

I am considering buying a road bike after owning MTB for some time.
Cervelo Soloist looks nice and I am trying the fit on my Stages SB20 smart bike while doing indoor training plan.

However, I am somewhat confused about the geometry for Soloist. Seems like they don't include all the data in bike specifications so I could find the x and y
for saddle and handlebar in relation to bb.

Soloist size 51: reach:374mm stack:515mm seat angle:73
The length from bb to the top of the saddle in a straight line is 680mm for me.

This gives me saddle position from bb as 199mm behind and 650mm up.
From bb to the top of the head tube as 374 mm in front and 515 up.

The unclear part is where is the handlebar in relation to the headtube. Can you always specify the stem length and amount of spacers to raise the handlebar if needed when you do the order, or does it come with some default setting?

The complete bikes come with a default bar width, stem length, and crank length. These days unless you have a really good relationship with a shop, they are likely going to sell you a replacement bar/stem at a discount, then charge you for the labor (also likely discounted.) They probably won't do it for free considering how much time it takes and most shops are short-staffed.

As for messing around with your fit and bike geometries, try this website out:
http://www.bikegeocalc.com/

tujari

by tujari

I wonder why they don't tell those default options in bike specifications...
Does someone know them for Soloist in size 51?

dgalanos

by dgalanos

Hello everyone from Greece! Quick question about sizing. I am riding now an Emonda ALR 2016 54, with a relatively good fit and I am in the verge of changing to Scott Addict 2022. The thing is that by studying the Scott geometry, looks like that I need Small (52) instead of 54. The numbers match so well. Below are the comparison from Bike Insights.

Any advice? Shall I go for Small (52) or stick to Medium (54) which apparently is quite big? For the record, I am 173cm tall and inseam 83-84cm (cannot measure it accurately).

Please help me enjoy a new bike day soon! Thanks in advance :D :)

t.vs.s.jpg
t.vs.s-numbers.jpg

calicyclist

by calicyclist

I am in the process of buying a new Argonaut. Will be getting it in early March. Did a fitting and the horizontal and vertical reach numbers came out to exactly what is on my current bike (Pinarello Dogma F10). I have a good amount of spacers and positive angle stem on my current bike. The Argonaut would be similar - 29mm spacers and a 4° stem insert to match. After reading enough people online talking about it being the wrong bike if you have too many spacers I've started questioning the fit. Not that the fitter wasn't good. Just that I think I naturally gravitated towards a fit that is the most similar to what I spend hours and hours riding in every week - which is apparently not super aero. I am planning to drop my bars down and try to start riding a little lower to see if I can remove the need for a positvely angled handlebars and possibly remove a spacer. I am also considering the idea of moving the stem out a bit further because I often feel when I am riding like I want to stretch out a bit more and I think if I can do that moving lower would probably be easier for me. No real way to test this out though without getting a new stem which seems pointless so close to getting a new bike.

Anyway, not sure exactly what my question is here but is there anything negative about taking this approach of messing with my current setup to guess at the best handlebar placement for a new bike?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:59 am
I am in the process of buying a new Argonaut. Will be getting it in early March. Did a fitting and the horizontal and vertical reach numbers came out to exactly what is on my current bike (Pinarello Dogma F10). I have a good amount of spacers and positive angle stem on my current bike. The Argonaut would be similar - 29mm spacers and a 4° stem insert to match. After reading enough people online talking about it being the wrong bike if you have too many spacers I've started questioning the fit. Not that the fitter wasn't good. Just that I think I naturally gravitated towards a fit that is the most similar to what I spend hours and hours riding in every week - which is apparently not super aero. I am planning to drop my bars down and try to start riding a little lower to see if I can remove the need for a positvely angled handlebars and possibly remove a spacer. I am also considering the idea of moving the stem out a bit further because I often feel when I am riding like I want to stretch out a bit more and I think if I can do that moving lower would probably be easier for me. No real way to test this out though without getting a new stem which seems pointless so close to getting a new bike.

Anyway, not sure exactly what my question is here but is there anything negative about taking this approach of messing with my current setup to guess at the best handlebar placement for a new bike?

What are the dimensions of the bike? How long is the stem? Does the 29mm in spacers include a 9mm or 15mm headset cover?

I think it's weird to design a custom frame around a positive rise stem AND 29mm in spacers unless you've specifically told the fitter that you want a lot of room to get lower.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

This is the suggested dimensions from Argonaut:
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 4.29.17 PM.png
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:46 am
This is the suggested dimensions from Argonaut:
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 4.29.17 PM.png
Interesting, are you currently on a 575 Dogma F10?

The Argonaut is a bit taller and a lot shorter reach frame-wise. If think they just wanted keep the frame a certain aesthetic or they have only a limited ability to customize their frames. I would have designed the frame around a -6deg stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com