Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Can anyone recommend a light low-profile, wide, disc wheelset good for 28/30mm tires?

I have a Factor Ostro with the BlackInc 45mm wheelset; I think the bike would be even more versatile with a climbing wheel.

I am running a ~28mm Farsports rim brake wheelset on my FM-066 and they've been good so far, but I haven't shopped in a few years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Jimlee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:00 am
Geodroid wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:31 pm
I know the FM066 has the perception of being a tried and true chinese frame, but it seems even now the most reputable manufactuers such as tantan and hongfu still can't make a round hole and their head tubes are ovalized which they will say is fine and it may not cause a catostrophic failure, but from an engineering standpoint I can't go that way.

Thinking of getting a Lightcarbon LCR007-v. Can anyone comment on those? Can they actually make round holes for the BB and head tube?
[/qu
Can you fit 28mm on this? might pull the trigger!

jonathanf2

by jonathanf2

Hi Everyone! I joined Weight Weenies because I want to build a Chinese carbon disc frame bike with at least 32c tire clearance, BSA threaded BB and fairly lightweight. Basically something similar to an Aethos, but not as expensive! Thanks for any recommendations!

subparmotive

by subparmotive

HFZ1 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:43 pm
I just received my 168 frame from velobuild.

I noticed carbon delamination on the inner downtube. Is this normal or you guys think I've gotten a defective frame? Pics below
Appologies for the late reply, haven't checked in here in a while. My frame has the same thing in the downtube, I haven't built the frame yet but it is good to see someone else that has this too, I was worried it was a defect.
dscf2880.jpg

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Hello! Has anyone ever found a direct mount derailleur hanger for the Velobuild vbr-099? This is the standard one https://photos.app.goo.gl/ab6ruSXSJzd3GxQd8

Edit: I've read a few posts back and it's the same hanger as the vbr-168. I've also read the concern of the axle thread being on the inner part and I think it's somewhat dangerous.
I saw some pictures of Cube direct mount hangers and I think they look quite similar to ours, however the thread is on the outer cap which would be better. I have one friend who has a Cube so I'll ask him to try to fit his dm hanger

Cozmo85

by Cozmo85

jonathanf2 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:41 pm
Hi Everyone! I joined Weight Weenies because I want to build a Chinese carbon disc frame bike with at least 32c tire clearance, BSA threaded BB and fairly lightweight. Basically something similar to an Aethos, but not as expensive! Thanks for any recommendations!
SLC 2.0 if you can handle bb86. A thread together bb86 is pretty easy to install. The token ninja even comes in a kit with tools. If you have no money the Velobuild 066 is decent as well (again, bb86)

Jimlee

by Jimlee

waltthizzney wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:49 am
Jimlee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:00 am
Geodroid wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:31 pm
I know the FM066 has the perception of being a tried and true chinese frame, but it seems even now the most reputable manufactuers such as tantan and hongfu still can't make a round hole and their head tubes are ovalized which they will say is fine and it may not cause a catostrophic failure, but from an engineering standpoint I can't go that way.

Thinking of getting a Lightcarbon LCR007-v. Can anyone comment on those? Can they actually make round holes for the BB and head tube?
[/qu
Can you fit 28mm on this? might pull the trigger!
LCR007-D and LCR007-V, both can fit 700C* 28mm tire,

BigPoser

by BigPoser

I'm going to be building up a crit bike and so after tons of research and studying lots of geometries, I think I've narrowed it down to three brands/models. They are the Yoeleo R6, Velobuild 086, and the Workswell 166. I've picked these due to how close they are to my current bikes' geo. The biggest thing I wanted is direct mount rim brakes. I realize the Workswell isn't direct mount, but they're DM model is fully integrated and I don't want that.

Any advice or tips anyone can provide of the models I've mentioned?

Thanks.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Edopizzo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:42 pm
Hello! Has anyone ever found a direct mount derailleur hanger for the Velobuild vbr-099? This is the standard one https://photos.app.goo.gl/ab6ruSXSJzd3GxQd8

Edit: I've read a few posts back and it's the same hanger as the vbr-168. I've also read the concern of the axle thread being on the inner part and I think it's somewhat dangerous.
I saw some pictures of Cube direct mount hangers and I think they look quite similar to ours, however the thread is on the outer cap which would be better. I have one friend who has a Cube so I'll ask him to try to fit his dm hanger
https://imgur.com/gallery/4m84EVO
Well I tried and it works perfectly! The onlt problem is that Cube hangers have a 1mm thread pitch, while the axle is 1.5mm. Cube axles use the Syntace standard so the non drive side is wedge shaped as opposed to the more common flat with ridges so it's not possible to use a Cube axle on our bikes. I have to find a proper axle then

cheapvega

by cheapvega

What's the word on Twitter frames? I absolutely hate the brand name but they have some beautiful rim brake bikes!

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

Looking for some help from the more seasoned chinese importers. I really like the look of the workswell 366 but I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy it. Anyone has an idea how to source a workswell frame?
Any comparable frame would be awesome as well. Looking for a light disc brake bike with hidden cables and preferably a round seat post. Think Aethos but with hidden cables

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Bjobjo wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 am
Looking for some help from the more seasoned chinese importers. I really like the look of the workswell 366 but I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy it. Anyone has an idea how to source a workswell frame?
Any comparable frame would be awesome as well. Looking for a light disc brake bike with hidden cables and preferably a round seat post. Think Aethos but with hidden cables
look at Velobuild vb-r-177 for instance

Aethos "copy" Workswell WCB-R-366

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey all, thinking of dipping my toe into the open mold water.

I'm looking for an aero bike, rim brake that's ideally regular rather than direct mount, and fully integrated so 1.5" straight headset. Looking for something at the nicer end of the spectrum. Ideally it could be upgraded with a lighter seat post and integrated bars further down the track, so I don't want to put lipstick on a pig so to speak.

I did see the TCRFO86 from Top Carbon, that looks quite nice and would be awesome if it came in rimbrake. Anyone know if it does?:
Screenshot_20221012-185704_Chrome.jpg
The FM666 from Flybikes looks pretty good too. Again, I can't find any info on this frame. Anyone have it or variations of it?
Screenshot_20221012-185822_Chrome.jpg
Info around weight but also cost and stiffness fwiw would be awesome.

Cheers all,
Kurt

RDY

by RDY

Kurt1980 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm looking for an aero bike, rim brake that's ideally regular rather than direct mount, and fully integrated so 1.5" straight headset. Looking for something at the nicer end of the spectrum. Ideally it could be upgraded with a lighter seat post and integrated bars further down the track, so I don't want to put lipstick on a pig so to speak.

I did see the TCRFO86 from Top Carbon, that looks quite nice and would be awesome if it came in rimbrake. Anyone know if it does?:

The FM666 from Flybikes looks pretty good too. Again, I can't find any info on this frame. Anyone have it or variations of it?

Cheers all,
Kurt
See recent experiences of TopCarbon / Lexon gravel frames on Chinertown ... quality / customer service was a disaster.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

RDY wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:37 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Cheers all,
Kurt
See recent experiences of TopCarbon / Lexon gravel frames on Chinertown ... quality / customer service was a disaster.
Jeez, that doesn't sound great, although the problems seemed more about purchasing through Lexon (who were/are resellers of Topcarbon), rather than Topcarbon directly. However, if that is the case.... TopCarbon shouldn't be onselling their rejects.

Thanks for the heads up.
Kurt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com