Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Just finished up building my new GF-002 frame. Almost all parts except for the bars/stem were transferred over from my GF-001.

Aside from a few stumbling blocks that were on me, the build was smooth. Frame and separate bar/stem combo from VB have been great and I'm happy with everything so far.

Learnings:

1. No cabling exposed with separate VB bar/stem: This bar/stem combo has fully integrated cabling with no exposed cabling at all (unless you don't want internal cabling and route on the outside of the bars). Unlike the integrated bars where the cables/wires poke out under the stem before going down the fork. This is only an issue if you're running an external Di2 junction box like I am as you normally place it under the stem where you have access to the wires being exposed, can connect the junction box and then the wires go down the fork. This is how I have my VB-R-168 set up.

Considered getting an internal junction box to mount to the opening in the top of the downtube, however I wasn't able to source one easily (aka I was too cheap and didn't find a deal I liked, plus needed another junction and extra wire). Someone suggested I just drill a hole in the stem and that's what I did! Solution worked perfectly and I don't have any concerns with the integrity of the stem provided how small the hole is and how thick the carbon in that area is. Photo below.

2. Smallest chainring for the GF-002 is 46T: I tried mounting my regular compact Shimano 2x crankset 50/34 and the small chainring was pressed hard against the chainstay with no room to move. Not sure if my choice of BB made a difference but I have a Wheels Manufacturing BB386EVO. I ended up getting some 24mm spacers for the crankset shaft to push out the crank and 3mm worth of spacers did the trick. Found out after from VB about the 46T chainring minimum.

A few things I appreciate having that my GF-001 didn't are:

- Fender eyelets in the fork
- Additional bottle/bag mounts on the side of the fork and under the downtube
- Round seatpost

Really happy with how the paint job turned out. I wasn't sure about their ability to blend the two colors but they did a good job with the transition. Decals were made locally and splatter is just some left over plasti-dip splattered by moi.

The newly revised slightly taller C ring for the headset seems to be making a difference to prevent the play issue some were experiencing with the separate bar/stem option. Overall happy with how it turned out.
Attachments
IMG_8051.jpg
IMG_8054.jpg
IMG_8064.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG
IMG_8066.JPG
IMG_8060.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

Looks great! Weight?

tharmor

by tharmor

Hazzer19 wrote:Just finished up building my new GF-002 frame. Almost all parts except for the bars/stem were transferred over from my GF-001.

Aside from a few stumbling blocks that were on me, the build was smooth. Frame and separate bar/stem combo from VB have been great and I'm happy with everything so far.

Learnings:

1. No cabling exposed with separate VB bar/stem: This bar/stem combo has fully integrated cabling with no exposed cabling at all (unless you don't want internal cabling and route on the outside of the bars). Unlike the integrated bars where the cables/wires poke out under the stem before going down the fork. This is only an issue if you're running an external Di2 junction box like I am as you normally place it under the stem where you have access to the wires being exposed, can connect the junction box and then the wires go down the fork. This is how I have my VB-R-168 set up.

Considered getting an internal junction box to mount to the opening in the top of the downtube, however I wasn't able to source one easily (aka I was too cheap and didn't find a deal I liked, plus needed another junction and extra wire). Someone suggested I just drill a hole in the stem and that's what I did! Solution worked perfectly and I don't have any concerns with the integrity of the stem provided how small the hole is and how thick the carbon in that area is. Photo below.

2. Smallest chainring for the GF-002 is 46T: I tried mounting my regular compact Shimano 2x crankset 50/34 and the small chainring was pressed hard against the chainstay with no room to move. Not sure if my choice of BB made a difference but I have a Wheels Manufacturing BB386EVO. I ended up getting some 24mm spacers for the crankset shaft to push out the crank and 3mm worth of spacers did the trick. Found out after from VB about the 46T chainring minimum.

A few things I appreciate having that my GF-001 didn't are:

- Fender eyelets in the fork
- Additional bottle/bag mounts on the side of the fork and under the downtube
- Round seatpost

Really happy with how the paint job turned out. I wasn't sure about their ability to blend the two colors but they did a good job with the transition. Decals were made locally and splatter is just some left over plasti-dip splattered by moi.

The newly revised slightly taller C ring for the headset seems to be making a difference to prevent the play issue some were experiencing with the separate bar/stem option. Overall happy with how it turned out.
Who did the paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tharmor

by tharmor

Who did the paint job? Looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

What kind of purple is that, would you say it is lavender purple?

Looks amazing as the others said! One of the best point jobs I have seen in a long time on this forum. I want to see more of this!

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Thanks all! VeloBuild did the paint (I choose an option they had in their custom pain gallery and just asked them to fade the colors) and I added the decals and splatter.

Haven't weighed it, but it does feel lighter than my GF-001. Maybe placebo? haha we'll see. Soon enough I'll get a scale.

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 am
What kind of purple is that, would you say it is lavender purple?

Looks amazing as the others said! One of the best point jobs I have seen in a long time on this forum. I want to see more of this!
Yah I would deffinitely say it's more of a lavender/pastel purple. It's pretty easy to get VB to paint what you want (within their constraints) so I would encourage others to try something out!

Discodan

by Discodan

That does look amazing, well done. What's the tyre clearance look like?

johnbos1

by johnbos1

im currently in contact with a cnc machinist who has experience in producing direct mount derailleur hangers to have some made for my vb-r-168 and im wandering if anyone else would be interested as i would have to reach a minimum order quantity(still under negotiation)

seems like quite a few open mould frames are using the same derailleur hangers too

i have attached images of my derailleur hanger that i'll be using as reference and some that the machinist has made in the past. im planning to have it designed similar to one of those. feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions!

i am still negotiating and calculating the costs but i am estimating they could end up being around $40 shipped
Attachments
WechatIMG2884.jpg
WechatIMG2885.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 2.53.26 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 2.53.49 pm.png

charirider

by charirider

Could you share a contact of CNC guy making direct mount rd hangers? Thanks!
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

Frisco

by Frisco

johnbos1 wrote:feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions!
If you’re going through all that effort, consider the design and load on the whole thing. You might want to consider redesigning it by moving the axle thread from the hanger onto the exterior side cap plate so the M2 countersunk bolt is not carrying a big load. Or consider a longer axle so you can add an external lock nut. I had an open mold gravel frame with a similar hanger, and that design was the worst part of the frame. It always made me nervous that the M2 countersunk would fail and the entire hanger would fall out, because once the axle was torqued the entire cap plate would start to get pushed out from the frame just like your photo. the M2 is the only thing holding it all together and if the M2 fails and the cap falls off without you noticing, you don’t have much margin keeping the hanger under the chainstay.

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Discodan wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 am
That does look amazing, well done. What's the tyre clearance look like?
Theoretical is 700x45 or 27.5x2.1"

http://www.velobuild.com/products/2022- ... cables-363

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

johnbos1 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:11 am
im currently in contact with a cnc machinist who has experience in producing direct mount derailleur hangers to have some made for my vb-r-168 and im wandering if anyone else would be interested as i would have to reach a minimum order quantity(still under negotiation)

seems like quite a few open mould frames are using the same derailleur hangers too

i have attached images of my derailleur hanger that i'll be using as reference and some that the machinist has made in the past. im planning to have it designed similar to one of those. feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions!

i am still negotiating and calculating the costs but i am estimating they could end up being around $40 shipped
Nice! color options like what Sigeyi offers is possible would be nice https://www.sigeyishop.com/product/meri ... ur-hanger/

johnbos1

by johnbos1

Hazzer19 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:37 am
Nice! color options like what Sigeyi offers is possible would be nice https://www.sigeyishop.com/product/meri ... ur-hanger/
can do, but it might cost a bit extra. if you're interested, let me know what colour and ill find out if he can do it

charirider wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 am
Could you share a contact of CNC guy making direct mount rd hangers? Thanks!
i can, but you would need to contact him in chinese. he is a cnc machinist that i found locally here in China. also the minimum qty will be around 50-100. PM me if you're still interested and i can put you in contact with him

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

Hello all,
Does anyone have a list of all the Chinese road frameset that have a T47 BB? I have a Cannondale SiSl that I'd like to reuse but don't want to spend a fortune on a mainstream frame.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my M2007J3SY using Tapatalk